Artifacting with 9800Pro - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The best damn state-university in Pennsylvania...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-04-01, 04:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
SkullOmania
Private

Artifacting with 9800Pro

I decided to experiment with the latest Omega drivers for the Radeon 9800 pro, but found them not to my liking. Once I changed back to catalyst drivers I started to get artifiacting. Ive reinstalled my drivers several times now, and rolled back to previous versions, but nothing seems to help. The artifacting doesn't present itself till I've been playing for about half an hour or so, but nothing I do seems to get rid of it.
Little help plz?

Comp specs (roughly)
9800 Pro 128mb
P4 2.54Ghz
1G DDR333 Ram
Asus P4SDX Motherboard
Soundblaster Live 5.1
Windows XP
Old 2004-04-01, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Vitter
Sergeant

From what i've heard artifacting (in regards to the 9800Pro) is usually a problem of heat. Check your voltages and maybe add a fan.
Old 2004-04-01, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Wehn you get artifacts it is normaly the memory or core making a mistake in the calculation, most often this happend to do Overclocking the Memory a bit to high without adequate cooling.

The way you stat it it defenently seem liek a cooling problem becasue its only in games after you have had time for it to heat up.

My sugestion is to turn OCing down in the memory a bit if it is OCed, or add memory heatsinks, and if not i would call ATI and tell them you get artifacts and want to know if they can get rid of then or will let you RMA the card

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-04-01, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
SkullOmania
Private

I never intentionally altered the speed of my card at all, I can only assume that the omega drivers did and it did not return to normal when I went back to the ATI drivers. Assuming this is the case, does anyone know what my mem and core speeds for a 9800Pro 128mb should be?
Old 2004-04-01, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SkullOmania
Private

Okay, I just checked the ATI website and according to them my core spd should be 380Mhz and my memory spd 680! According to rivatuner my current spds are (and bear in mind I have not changed these from default) core: 378Mhz and mem:337.5Mhz. Does that mean I should double my mem spd? That seems like a pretty risky thing to do. Or is my card suppose to have a mem spd of half what is posted on ATI's site? And why would a slower mem spd give me the artifacting I've been seeing? This is all very confusing....
Old 2004-04-02, 03:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Fragmatic
I LIVE IN ENGLAND

Originally Posted by SkullOmania
Okay, I just checked the ATI website and according to them my core spd should be 380Mhz and my memory spd 680! According to rivatuner my current spds are (and bear in mind I have not changed these from default) core: 378Mhz and mem:337.5Mhz. Does that mean I should double my mem spd? That seems like a pretty risky thing to do. Or is my card suppose to have a mem spd of half what is posted on ATI's site? And why would a slower mem spd give me the artifacting I've been seeing? This is all very confusing....
Dude, your memory speed IS 680 :P It's DDR :P
[Hezzy]: gg
Old 2004-04-02, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Omega drivers do not change the clock speed of your video card when you install them. Clock speed remains at default.

Like Rob said, if you are getting artifacts at regular clock speeds, something is probably wrong with your video card. This really shouldn't be a result of the Omega drivers, all they are is tweaked catalyst drivers, and don't really change anything about your video card. Did you attempt to OC your vid card at all? If so something might have gotten messed up. Also, check and see what your AGP bus speed is set at, it could be causing this problem if it somehow got overclocked, I'm not sure. Go into your BIOS and check that the AGP clock speed is set at 66mhz. Also, check to make sure that it isn't recieving more than default voltage.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2004-04-02, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

Hide this thread from RagingGerbil. If he does see it, prepared to get tackled Skull.

Old 2004-04-05, 12:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
SkullOmania
Private

Well after a gruelling process of elimation I've determined what was causing the problem. My AGP drivers (SiS AGP drivers ver. 7.2.0.1140) seem to be the cause. Having said that, why would these produce problems, as they were bundled with my MoBo, and is there an alternative driver I could use?
Old 2004-04-05, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Latest AGP driver for the SiS 655 chipset is located HERE

Heh, I'd heard of bad AGP drivers causing artifacting before, now why didn't I think of that when I read this thread...

Old 2004-04-05, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Man this is the first time i forgot to ask about Chipset tye with vidoe card problems, that was a big Doh!

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-04-05, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SkullOmania
Private

I have a sinking feeling that that's the driver thats been causing the problems, but I'll check it out anyway...
Old 2004-04-06, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
SkullOmania
Private

...yep, those are the same drivers that I was using before. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 2004-04-06, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

did u try installing them anyways? perhaps the ones before were just messed up / corrupted

Old 2004-04-06, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
SkullOmania
Private

Yeah, I did install them anyway, after half an hour or so of play the world started getting these wierd coloured botches on it, kinda like the textures were designed in the eighties. Maybe I'lll just have to go through life without an AGP driver
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum