News: PAX Future of Online Games Panel - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What a cute little beamer you have there.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-04-10, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Vancha
Colonel

Re: PAX Future of Online Games Panel

Originally Posted by Carbanu View Post
I think we are all of a consensus that Planetside 2 NOT GW2 is the future of online gaming.... period!
Are you just trolling this thread or what?

I'd say they both are, though I think GW2 is more likely to be than PS2, if I'm honest.

GW2 implements a group dynamic that I think we'll see a lot more of, but the dynamic events system especially is something that I think MMOs will be expected to have in future. Hell, I wish there was something similar in Planetside, albeit without NPCs (I'm not entirely sure how that'd work). I also think we'll see most future MMOs adopt their combat system, instead of the typical WoW-style combat we've had for the past decade.

There are other MMORPGs coming out, but GW2 is the only one that's a clear progression of the genre, so far.

Planetside 2 on the other hand is just one MMOFPS of a few that are coming out...Firefall especially looks promising (albeit targeting a fairly different audience). As far as a purely PvP MMOFPS, PS2 should be unrivaled, but then I'm not sure how much room there is for multiple games like that. Planetside 2 will hopefully be a part of the future of gaming, but I'm not sure the future of gaming should consist more of Planetside 2 than GW2.

Basically, GW2 has innovations which I believe could benefit other games without turning them into GW2 clones, while if you applied the features that makes Planetside so great to other games, I think you'd only ever end up with something very similar to Planetside.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-04-10 at 06:50 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion