Interesting Hacking Article involving BF3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Be Sure to Buy Your Planetside Lunchbox!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2012-05-09, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Notser
Staff Sergeant

Interesting Hacking Article involving BF3

http://mp1st.com/2012/05/07/battlefi...tling-numbers/

I find it interesting that the hack allowed him to identify most of the hackers through either accuracy or map awareness stats. Could be interesting if this information could be tracked and used to combat it. Sad to hear it confirmed, always believed it, that there are 1 or more hackers in pretty much every game over 30 players. Clearly we discuss this constantly but it is a interesting article and also reveals just how stupid devs can be, if I was a dev I'd assume everyone is trying to gain a advantage unless told otherwise.

PS2's F2P model could allow for large rewards to players who might be more open to letting SOE investigate the legitimacy of their skill, perhaps large discounts or rewards in the form of weapon unlocks or cosmetic stuff. Obviously if a player is found hacking while taking advantage of these rewards they should be punished harshly in my opinion.
Old 2012-05-09, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Re: Interesting Hacking Article involving BF3

The guy pointed out something that I've seen discussed in other threads in the past: the fact that most hackers are "closet" hackers - they try to be as inconspicuous as possible. Perhaps this aim percentage that this guy used in his studies is something that could be used to spot hackers in PS2 as well?

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-05-09, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Xyntech
Brigadier General

While this is a serious problem, one thing I would note is that in most games closet hackers don't tend to perform much better than extremely skilled players. It still isn't right, but it doesn't break the game like someone who is being more overt.

Still, it seems fucked up that more isn't done to stop this. Just because subtle hacking doesn't ruin a game still doesn't make it any less wrong.

It would be nice to see some developers giving more attention to the matter, like having software that can detect erratic behavior. The harder a player has to work to cover up his hacking and keep it subtle, the less likely it is to give them as great an advantage.

While those numbers are alarming, it's still not the craziest percentage. Just play the game and report obvious hackers, and if the developers of a game let the hacking get out of hand, drop that shit and don't give them any more money.

Same goes for PS2. If they let it get bad, drop that shit and let Planetside 2 die.

I just hope they actually do a decent job. Obviously B2P hasn't helped BF3 much, and I doubt a subscription cost would help any more. Maybe the fact that PS2 will be fighting the F2P hacker stigma will actually work in our favor, forcing them to be more vigilant.

No sense worrying about it too much. Gonna have to cross our fingers and just keep pestering the devs about dealing with hackers now and then.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-05-09 at 02:08 PM.
Old 2012-05-10, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Naz The Eternal
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Good article, but this general information about hackers all over BF is not new, nor is it restricted to BF3 . I played BF2 religiously for 7 years, through various competitive tournaments and hackers were always present. I learned an interesting fact during my initial stages of BF2 play. A new hack in produced for BF2 on an average of every 6 hours.

This would explain the constant updates from punk buster who is desperately trying to keep up with the hackers, but to no avail...

OUTFIT OFFICER
Vanu Sovereignty

Last edited by Naz The Eternal; 2012-05-10 at 10:35 AM.
Old 2012-05-10, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

On top of all that, as time goes on, the hacks will only become more prevalent, and more sophisticated.
Old 2012-05-10, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Kipper
Captain

I don't know much about hacking - on account of the fact that I don't see the appeal of it. I'm not brilliant at FPS but having fun is why I play... And as I tune into a game, I get better at it anyway, and that makes it more fun.

....But this article sounds like a load of balls.

What I know about modern online games is that developers learned some time ago not to have the server send information to the client that it doesn't need.

If BF3 is sending all player data to every player regardless of whether they're visible or not then yeah, dumb - and hack able client-side. The server decides what you can and can't do and merely informs the client - PS1 being the last example of client side decision making I heard of with its hit detection.

If it isn't sending that information to your computer then nothing you can install is gonna allow you to see it. You'd need to hack the server.... and whoever heard of people hacking Sony's servers? What a ridiculous notion :sarcasm:

With that in mind - afaik, a client-side hack could only make you better (maybe faster or more accurate mouse movements) within the context of what the game allows. Kill everyone on the map by pressing a button? do me a favour....!
Old 2012-05-10, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

This was a very interesting read.

I am and always will be absolutely against hacking in all forms and believe that if your hacking your not even really playing the game so how is it fun?

Its like why would you want to play basketball if everytime someone passed to you the ball magically changed course and flew into the net instead of into your hands. Your not even doing anything.

However, I dont know if anyone else shares my feelings here but reading this gives me an itch to try a hack literally just because I'd be fascinated to see exactly how it works and what it looks like. Id never use a hack to win in a game but the idea of downloading one and going on an empty server with a buddy to test it out seems extremely interesting. After playing against hackers for so long I'd find it fascinating to see exactly how and how much they effect the gameplay.

Once again, wouldn't actually hack to compete but does anyone else feel like the idea of just seeing how it works is fascinating?
Old 2012-05-10, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rubius
Private

As a legit BF3 player, I must say that was a very interesting read. Good to get some statistics on this chaos. Maybe I'll fare better against detecting a hacker and leaving server.

Thanks for posting it.
Old 2012-05-11, 11:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post

I am and always will be absolutely against hacking in all forms and believe that if your hacking your not even really playing the game so how is it fun?

Its like why would you want to play basketball if everytime someone passed to you the ball magically changed course and flew into the net instead of into your hands. Your not even doing anything.

However, I dont know if anyone else shares my feelings here but reading this gives me an itch to try a hack literally just because I'd be fascinated to see exactly how it works and what it looks like. Id never use a hack to win in a game but the idea of downloading one and going on an empty server with a buddy to test it out seems extremely interesting. After playing against hackers for so long I'd find it fascinating to see exactly how and how much they effect the gameplay.

Once again, wouldn't actually hack to compete but does anyone else feel like the idea of just seeing how it works is fascinating?
I'd much rather be (and have been) banned from a server for "hacking" because I appear to be too good.

I was banned from Skial's servers (TF2) for about a day because of someone /reporting me.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-05-12, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
I'd much rather be (and have been) banned from a server for "hacking" because I appear to be too good.

I was banned from Skial's servers (TF2) for about a day because of someone /reporting me.
I agree completely though I don't see how that sprouted from what I posted.

I'd never risk it anyways it's just a pipe dream lol
Old 2012-05-13, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
termhn
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post

I totally agree... makes me want to download a hack to see for myself what this guy said.

Embrace the Shadows.
Old 2012-05-16, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by termhn View Post
I totally agree... makes me want to download a hack to see for myself what this guy said.
But you wont because your a good person!!
Old 2012-05-17, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
termhn
Sergeant

Of course cool cat

Embrace the Shadows.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion