SOE Game Distribution - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pretty. Shiny. Underwear.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-02, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Zekeen
Major

Re: SOE Game Distribution

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
Also, if you search for our other products you will find almost all of them on Steam. That is not stating PlanetSide 2 will be on Steam because we've made no such announcement. We are however very keen on that distribution channel.
I've seen SEVERAL videos of Higby talking about it being on Steam. I know that's not a guarantee, but I swear he looks like he'd jump through a flaming ring to get it on Steam from the way he was talking about it.
Old 2012-05-02, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by MonsterBone View Post
I mean its even hard to find a way to get a copy of PS1 from their page.
I believe this is intentional.
Old 2012-05-02, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I can understand frustration in not finding a way to play a game which hasn't been in retail stores since 2004. I do think to be fair however, you can't really compare this to an upcoming title release.

In order for folks to play it, it has to be readily available and we are fully prepared to ensure that happens.

Also, if you search for our other products you will find almost all of them on Steam. That is not stating PlanetSide 2 will be on Steam because we've made no such announcement. We are however very keen on that distribution channel.
Please make sure to use Steam authentication ( just give old SOE accounts a key ) and make sure to integrate with the wallet.

I can not stand games on steam, that require third party log ins. Looking at you GAMES FOR WINDOWS.

Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-02, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Please make sure to use Steam authentication ( just give old SOE accounts a key ) and make sure to integrate with the wallet.

I can not stand games on steam, that require third party log ins. Looking at you GAMES FOR WINDOWS.

Unfortunately our current products do require login through Station after launching in Steam. The Wallet integration I can assure you isn't a problem. All hypothetically speaking of course in PS2's case.
Old 2012-05-02, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Unfortunately our current products do require login through Station after launching in Steam. The Wallet integration I can assure you isn't a problem. All hypothetically speaking of course in PS2's case.
I was under the assumption that a new Station Launcher type application was in the works that has yet to be announced. Of course the games could still be obtained through Steam, just the proprietary SOE launcher would be run when the game is started through steam. I hope this is the case anyway, Station Launcher was a great idea just wasn't updated with the times. If we could get a new one with multi-protocol IM functionality, voice chat, integration with Steam/Raptr/XFire, and an app for iPhone/Android, that would be amazing.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-02, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by Saieno View Post
I was under the assumption that a new Station Launcher type application was in the works that has yet to be announced. Of course the games could still be obtained through Steam, just the proprietary SOE launcher would be run when the game is started through steam. I hope this is the case anyway, Station Launcher was a great idea just wasn't updated with the times. If we could get a new one with multi-protocol IM functionality, voice chat, integration with Steam/Raptr/XFire, and an app for iPhone/Android, that would be amazing.
At this point and time I can only speak to existing products and their use of what we call Launchpad 4. The Steam Wallet portion is completely seamless to consumers, however the launchpad is run from the Steam client.
Old 2012-05-02, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't recall doing that with PAYDAY™ The Heist. But that may be outside the sphere you are talking about.

Thatnks for the hypothetical speaking. I just want to convey, Use steam. Use the log in, use the friends list, use the coms, use the wallet.

I know that may not be your department, but should this go on steam, make sure those in power get my request! I will play regardless, but really, if your on steam, use steam ( Directed to anyone who puts games on steam ).
Old 2012-05-02, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Reginald
Private

I pray there will still be methods to acquire the game other than steam. Direct download from SOE?
Old 2012-05-02, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
I pray there will still be methods to acquire the game other than steam. Direct download from SOE?
Why? What's the difference?

As someone else mentioned I'd prefer a Steam only launch and have it use steam's authentication system so I can just click play and immediately jump into the game. However, with how little we've heard about needing multiple accounts it would be awkward for me and others to have tons of steam accounts.
Old 2012-05-02, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Reginald
Private

I'm just not a fan of steam. Would rather just launch the game much like planetside today, Shortcut>launchpad>game, no 3rd party stuff.
Old 2012-05-02, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I'd prefer it have a well integrated but entirely optional steam version.

I'd use the steam version myself, but I wouldn't want it forced on anyone.
Old 2012-05-02, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Reginald
Private

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I'd prefer it have a well integrated but entirely optional steam version.

I'd use the steam version myself, but I wouldn't want it forced on anyone.
Exactly.
Old 2012-05-03, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm just not a fan of steam. Would rather just launch the game much like planetside today, Shortcut>launchpad>game, no 3rd party stuff.
You can do that with steam.

The point I am trying to make is, if it goes on steam. I do not want to have to log into steam, then log in to SOE. I also want to use the steam wallet, instead of having yet another place to enter my CC info. It's redundant, and steam provides all this functionality already, including account association, some just choose not to use it ( I'm looking at you EA and GFWL ).

I'm just not a fan of steam.
It's 2012. Get with it.

Originally Posted by Saieno View Post
Station Launcher was a great idea just wasn't updated with the times.
Station launcher is another layer/app that I do not need running. Much like the buggy, trashy, and slow GFWL. Steam provides authentication to developers, they need to use it.

Everything I have said would only apply to steam. Any other delivery method is free to do whatever.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-05-03 at 11:37 AM.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Hatchak
Private

i was reading about the AMA on reddit of the arena.net developers were doing today and i found this answer that seems interesting at how they respond about adding GuildWars 2 to Steam. A user asks:

Will Guild Wars 2 be on Steam? That's literally the only thing keeping me from buying it right now. Don't leave me hanging bros, I hate missing these weekends.

[–]ArenaNetTeam[S] 15 points 10 hours ago

No, it almost certainly won't be on Steam. Valve has some new business terms will keep almost all new MMOs off Steam...
he doesn't especify any other thing but since both PS2 and GW2 will work around the same payment method, i tought it would be interesting to highlight it.

page here: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...e_next/c4x5bsu
Old 2012-06-07, 04:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

I also read that firefall won't be on steam because steam takes a pretty big cut from every transaction made by steam users in the in game cash shop or something like that. It's not cost effective for f2p games that rely on micro transactions.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/firefal...says-red-5-ceo

Last edited by CuddlyChud; 2012-06-07 at 04:12 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion