Religion - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What do you mean I can't say **** on the radio?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

View Poll Results: What do you identify yourself as?
Atheist/Skeptic/Agnostic 151 70.89%
Catholic 21 9.86%
Protestant 24 11.27%
Jewish 5 2.35%
Muslim 2 0.94%
Philisophy (Such as Buddhism) 10 4.69%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-02-11, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info
Religion

I know this can be a touchy subject, and i'm not looking to start a religion argument. I'm just wondering what the mix is in the Planetside community. You don't have to let anyone know. You don't have to make any posts (unless you want to)
Also, while I don't think anyone would do this, I don't want anyone to to advertise or push their religion on anyone in this thread.

Mods, if you don't think this post/poll is appropriate, feel free to close/delete the thread without any explanation. I'll understand.

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-02-11, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: Religion

Agnostic. I don't have time to or care enough to believe in anything.

I'm also not Atheist because I view them as douchebags. People have their own opinions on religion but most atheists I know say "NA AHH THERE IS NO GAWDD PROOVE IT IM SOO RIGHT NUUUURRGHH" I don't like them man.
Old 2012-02-11, 11:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I'm also not Atheist because I view them as douchebags. People have their own opinions on religion but most atheists I know say "NA AHH THERE IS NO GAWDD PROOVE IT IM SOO RIGHT NUUUURRGHH" I don't like them man.
That's like someone who believes in the bible saying "I'm not a christian because most christians I know say "GAYS ARE GOIN TO HELLZ NUUUURRGGHH" I don't like them man."

You can reject the label for whatever weird reason, but you are what you are.
Old 2012-02-11, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
That's like someone who believes in the bible saying "I'm not a christian because most christians I know say "GAYS ARE GOIN TO HELLZ NUUUURRGGHH" I don't like them man."

Well, that is true, but I generally see atheists complain about christians and other religions more than other religions complain about atheists. Either way, I don't really care what people are, I just really hate watching people fight over that stuff.

But we're all friends here anyway.
Old 2012-02-12, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Jewish.
Old 2012-02-12, 05:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post

What utter bollocks, go read up on the definitions of Atheists and Agnostic.
Old 2012-02-12, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
What utter bollocks, go read up on the definitions of Atheists and Agnostic.
Do you actually mean for me to go and read up on what both of them mean and entail, or do you just want to use the wording of websters dictionary to try and prove a point?
Old 2012-07-04, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
HeatLegend
Master Sergeant

Yeah, some atheists are so damn stupid for telling people that their theory that an invisible and omnipotent Cinderella will arise in the northern tundra of Russia with an army of homophobic homosexuals and implement this belief into our social systems and the government and not just be kept private, is stupid. I mean seriously, let people brainwash their children from birth and keep them away from free-thinking if they want to!

Also: Don't think of atheists as a group, atheism doesnt stand for anything other than free-thinking- not even that, it is the "situation" of someone not believing in something supernatural.

Last edited by HeatLegend; 2012-07-04 at 06:40 PM.
Old 2012-07-04, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by HeatLegend View Post
Yeah, some atheists are so damn stupid for telling people that their theory that an invisible and omnipotent Cinderella will arise in the northern tundra of Russia with an army of homophobic homosexuals and implement this belief into our social systems and the government and not just be kept private, is stupid. I mean seriously, let people brainwash their children from birth and keep them away from free-thinking if they want to!

Also: Don't think of atheists as a group, atheism doesnt stand for anything other than free-thinking- not even that, it is the "situation" of someone not believing in something supernatural.
Zulthus never said anything of the kind though. I can imagine there's a lot of people who are just a bit too elitist to his liking who are atheist.

That said, I wouldn't pick a stance at live based on who has the least pricks in it.
Old 2012-07-04, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
HeatLegend
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Zulthus never said anything of the kind though. I can imagine there's a lot of people who are just a bit too elitist to his liking who are atheist.

That said, I wouldn't pick a stance at live based on who has the least pricks in it.
Not sure what you meant with the first paragraph but as for the second paragraph: Good!
Old 2012-07-04, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by HeatLegend View Post
Not sure what you meant with the first paragraph but as for the second paragraph: Good!
Well he said that he doesn't quite claim atheists as a group are bad or plotting world domination or anything, just that there's more arrogance found within the total group that encompasses atheism.

I can relate to that bit. But the second sentence was me saying "prick they might be, doesn't make them wrong even if for the wrong reasons, even if talking high and mighty."
Old 2012-07-09, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
The Loverator
Corporal

Thumbs up Re: Religion

So pretty well said. I totally agree here.

While i must admit at the same Time, that "I" don't have enough time in believing something specific, because i don't are in the Mood for that.

Maybe, only a little bit, from what People call "New-Age-Stuff" and spiritual things, i am totally convinced that these are the most true Logics about our Universe outside of the Life-Span of People.

While at the same Time: I don't "feel" that i have to make a "Believing"-Thing out of it.
I don't feel like i have to or "must" make a thing like opening a Cult or Religion and convice People that our Soul's are eternal, even if "we" as Person's end someday. :-P

N~aaahhhg, i JUST felt that i am already putting to much Time in something so unimportant. xD

greetings, LV.
Old 2012-02-12, 05:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

In the recent census i put that i follow pragmatic agnosticism. As it fits my beliefs best

"The view that there is no proof of either the existence or nonexistence of any deity, but since any deity that may exist appears unconcerned for the universe or the welfare of its inhabitants, the question is largely academic."
Old 2012-02-12, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Father brought me up as a Catholic. Went to church every Sunday till I was like 10 or so along with CCD. I never go much anymore or go along with the Catholic teachings but I still believe in a higher power along the Christian belief system.
Old 2012-02-12, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

The words "atheist" and "agnostic" are terrible and seem to mean totally different things to different people. Is militancy an intrinsic part of being an atheist? Is an atheist someone who is somehow certain there isn't a god? Do agnostics think it's a 50/50 shot at there being a god as opposed to not? How about the terms "soft atheist" and "hard atheist", or "agnostic atheism" versus "gnostic atheism"?

I am not religious and I don't believe there is a god, although there might be. But if there is, we have not discovered any evidence of its existence yet. I reject the label of atheist or agnostic or anything else as I believe having to label myself to indicate a lack of belief pretty stupid. What do we call people who don't believe in unicorns? Am I an aunicornist too?

As for my own perspective on it, I find every religion I'm aware of to be fairly obviously man-made and entirely unimpressive in its own right. On the other hand, I think the need for religion in some people speaks to some part of our evolution, and touches upon a real need within us as people. For that reason, I don't out-of-hand denigrate religious observance, but I do take exception to it when it infiltrates politics. For example, religious objections to the distribution of contraception, or the legalization of abortion, or gay marriage. But if someone finds some sort of comfort and solace in a particular religion within the confines of their private life, so be it. We all have a spiritual side to us in some sense. How different is secular meditation and reflection from theistic prayer, anyway?

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-02-12 at 12:58 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum