The other side of the argument: What am I getting for my money? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I wonder if Hamma still bothers to check these...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-12, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Valcron
Master Sergeant

The other side of the argument: What am I getting for my money?

I continue to see the same points brought up by Higby, and multiple other PS developers.

"We don't want a pay to win game"

What about the person that wants to spend money and have a small advantage over someone who plays the game for free? All I've seen talked about were camo packages for guns, a silencer upgrade, maybe a red dot for your new rifle, etc.

This does not entice me to want to play for Planetside 2, I need to see something compelling in order for me to pay for it. I really hope I'll see more items for sale other than aforementioned items I've discussed already.
Old 2012-03-12, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
moosepoop
Captain

Re: The other side of the argument: What am I getting for my money?

new weapons/vehicles that arent better, just different.
Old 2012-03-12, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
davek
Private

i think higby also mentioned exp boosters
Old 2012-03-12, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
moosepoop
Captain

id definitely pay moeny for new vehicle packs, new weapon packs, abilities items, stuff like that.

Last edited by moosepoop; 2012-03-12 at 08:58 AM.
Old 2012-03-12, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
DaddyTickles
Sergeant

I think if you pay for experience boosters you get to play a wider variety of experiences sooner than if you just f2p.

To my mind that sounds reasonable.
Old 2012-03-12, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Monkey
Private

By possibly adding more content and balanced abilities to your character, that is very reasonable.

Your post sounds like you want to have advantages over other players. Where's the fun in that?
Old 2012-03-12, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Coreldan
Colonel

APB:R tries to sell new/different weapons in it's cash shop that arn't better, just different.

However, idiots will always call them pay2win, even after you change into the free counterpart of the weapon and still whoop their asses lol.

If you arnt a big for visuals/customization, then you wont be getting much for your money. So far they havnt mentioned even trying to make new weapons that arnt better, just different, but I guess it might be happening.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-03-12 at 09:14 AM.
Old 2012-03-12, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Nononono. Nothing that gives an advantage should be purchasable. Ever. Screw people that WANT to pay to have an advantage, it breaks the overall balance of the game and ruins it for those that don't want to pay to win.

I'll probably end up spending a fortune on the game, I will not however support unfairness in this respect. Sidegrades are fine to make purchasable as well as unlockable. Anything that can be consider an upgrade should never grace the shop. Period.

The only advantage that's passable is exp boosts to unlock those non purchasable upgrades faster.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-12, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Valcron View Post
I continue to see the same points brought up by Higby, and multiple other PS developers.

"We don't want a pay to win game"

What about the person that wants to spend money and have a small advantage over someone who plays the game for free? All I've seen talked about were camo packages for guns, a silencer upgrade, maybe a red dot for your new rifle, etc.

This does not entice me to want to play for Planetside 2, I need to see something compelling in order for me to pay for it. I really hope I'll see more items for sale other than aforementioned items I've discussed already.
Don't pay then? It will be a free game after all.
Old 2012-03-12, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Kipper
Captain

People should be free to have their rocket pod upgrade today as long as I can get it next week just by spending time playing and earning XP. After all, time is money - so in essence, those who pay to play will be subsidising those who spend more time playing but do so for free just the same way as first class airline passengers make coach seats cheaper; but they still all get to the same place at the same time on the same aircraft.

I like the model because if you take something like World of Tanks - I wouldn't subscribe to it because I don't play it enough. I play a few rounds a week, then maybe not at all for a month. Then I get really into it and play it for a week non stop - this is the time when I pay for a premium account to boost the XP I'll earn while I'm hammering it. But I can still dip in and out casually at no cost - and that keeps me interested enough that there will be another time when I'm really into it.

If you're subscribing - its a decision, once you go to casual play, and decide that its not worth it - it takes a lot more to make you resubscribe than it does just to say - "nice having you around, come back anytime for a few minutes or an hour to remind yourself how GOOD this thing was, when you've recovered from your burnout, had your baby, earned that promotion at work or just got bored of the next big thing that distracted you."

I'd have still had the original Planetside installed probably if it hadn't been for the subscription after my outfit all moved on. The entire outfit probably would have, and it wouldn't have died - just gone more casual.
Old 2012-03-12, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
UnknownDT
Sergeant

Don't pay then? It will be a free game after all.
Yes, what is the point to this thread? Let the dev's see you want it to be Pay to Win?

No thanks. Don't buy anything if you don't want it plain and simple.
Old 2012-03-12, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Anything in the cash shop needs to be cosmetic stuff, XP boosts, and then anything else that can be obtained in the game already. Any "advantages" would be dumb.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2012-03-12, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
UnknownDT
Sergeant

Anything in the cash shop needs to be cosmetic stuff, XP boosts, and then anything else that can be obtained in the game already. Any "advantages" would be dumb.
you're dumb!
Old 2012-03-12, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Knocky
Major

A "free" game will not stay online for long if there is nothing worth buying.

Let us hope that there will be a reason to spend money consistently.
Old 2012-03-12, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
DaSwede
Contributor
Corporal

Would pay for specialized camouflage for vehicle and infantry.
War painting for aircraft and minor weapon sidegrades
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion