Cert Changes - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Why dont you give me ape tit for $300
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-16, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Whiteagle
Major

Re: Cert Changes

Yeah, I'm not really sure I like the idea of a "Freemium" payment system that gives subscribers a direct advantage over non-paying players...

Of course, a lot of MMO's that have Membership subscriptions simply make otherwise purchasable game-play content (such as "dungeons" or "missions") "Free" for those players as long as they are subscribed in addition to their monthly stipend of "cash shop currency"...

...I don't know how this would work for Planetside 2, unless one of the continents is going to be pay-to-play...

Ugh... I just want to avoid fourteen year-old armchair generals having max'ed out Command Certifications because Mom and Dad shelled out for a seven dollar a month-for-a-year subscriptions...
Old 2012-09-16, 10:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

For anyone wondering about offline cert gain:

Originally Posted by Smedley
The idea is simple - offline cert gain will be something you pay for. Likely in a subscription and maybe outside of one.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-09-16, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
For anyone wondering about offline cert gain:
Sounds promising. If they had a pay for cert gain w/o subscription, it may be worth it.
Old 2012-09-16, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
Sounds promising. If they had a pay for cert gain w/o subscription, it may be worth it.
It's what they're going for right? Those who can't play as much can pay to keep up. The F2P model working as intended.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-09-17, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
SixShooter
Captain

I'm suprised to see so many crying about the new cert system. I think it's great and I feel like I'm earning certs much faster now. 1000 XP is nothing if you're not sitting AFK in the WG. Even if you're only flying a Gal you should be getting XP from base caps and people using you as a spawn point. I also have very limited time to play but I definitly prefer this system.

Old 2012-09-17, 01:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
I'm suprised to see so many crying about the new cert system. I think it's great and I feel like I'm earning certs much faster now.

1000 XP is nothing if you're not sitting AFK in the WG. Even if you're only flying a Gal you should be getting XP from base caps and people using you as a spawn point. I also have very limited time to play but I definitly prefer this system.
Well if it's going to be only 1k exp = 1 cert point then you're going to gain cert points slower then you do now. Right now for successfully Attacking/Defending a base you get 1 cert point now, but that is only worth 500 exp.

But if it's 1CP=1k exp + 1CP for successfully Attacking/Defending a base then it would be an other story. Not sure if that is going to be the case though.

But yea in any regards 1k exp is not really that mush consider its just 10 kills, or 10 generators destroyed, or 10 control points cape......
Old 2012-09-17, 01:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
artifice
Staff Sergeant

Honestly, after seeing the F2P models for Everquest, Everquest 2, and Vanguard, the fact that Planetside 2 is going to be a pay-to-win model isn't surprising at all. I probably won't be playing it now.
Old 2012-09-17, 02:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
SixShooter
Captain

Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Honestly, after seeing the F2P models for Everquest, Everquest 2, and Vanguard, the fact that Planetside 2 is going to be a pay-to-win model isn't surprising at all. I probably won't be playing it now.
So you jump into every thread and cry PTW!!! So funny.

Old 2012-09-17, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
artifice
Staff Sergeant

Your white knighting of the game doesn't do the game any good.
Old 2012-09-17, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Whiteagle
Major

Well that's because this IS a pay-to-win system...

Sorry, but a benefit that allows you to directly advance faster then your non-paying counterparts is paying for that advantage.

Now, if they made it so that members had higher resource caps and gained resources offline instead of Experience/Certification Points, while still offering XP boosting Implants in the cash shop, I'd see that as a far fairer option.
Old 2012-09-17, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
SFJake
Sergeant

In the end, F2P is never fair, unless they go for cosmetics only. I knew it would turn to hell. No company worth a damn would go F2P if they want to sell more than cosmetics. You need money and don't want that, then don't make it free to play.

This is just going to be yet another game butchered by that model because of a company's greed. When ironically, the model is inferior for BOTH the costumers AND the company.
Old 2012-09-17, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Not sure how you can compare EQ/EQ2/Vanguard MMORPGs to PS2 MMOFPS when talking about subscription models and pay-to-win scenarios. The RPGs are not PvP centric. PS2 is PvP only. Big difference.

Should be interesting to see how they pull this off. IMO, in the short term, there will be somewhat of a pay-to-win scenario happening in PS2. Although in the other thread with Smed's post they did say they are going to give someone fairly quick access to the upgrades they want to allow them to play with special equiptment fairley quickly. That's a pretty good compromise. However, that's still a bit fishy because we are talking about classes and you don't know which class you might like over another right away. But that's the gotcha there and I don't think it's that big of a deal.

PS1 was always about being more versatile which means you could perform better for different situations that you encountered in the game. The difference with PS2 vs. PS1 in this aspect is that in PS1 any player, regardless of battle rank, could obtain any piece of equipment/vehicle they wanted (minus the BFRs and we all know how that ended up) which made all ranks equal. The difference between BR1 and BR40 was the BR40 could have more options over the BR1. But both had all the same options.

PS2 gets rid of the entire PS1 rank and certs system and goes with a detailed cert tree for individual classes. I actually don't know how they plan to tie in battle rank to what type of weapons are available in the cash shop (which are supposed to be side-grades). I don't consider weapons that have extra capabilities vs. the stock a side-grade. But it may be that they just have not implemented BR into this yet. Even still, if you give XP boosters to allow people to gain BR faster then they will still be able to PAY to obtain those side-grades with other benefits I would say that is pay-to-win.

Last edited by Crator; 2012-09-17 at 01:58 PM.
Old 2012-09-17, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Kipper
Captain

"Pay to win" means only one thing: money > all.

This is now how PS2 is slated to work. Those who spend money can obtain something quicker than those who don't, but they cannot obtain something that those who don't pay have no access to.

Pay to win would be saying "here's a gun that will do 1.5x damage, and you can only buy it with real money."

Boosters aren't pay to win because they just accelerate progress, not provide a direct advantage. They can be cash only. Likewise camo / cosmetics because they don't do anything except change how you look in game.
Old 2012-09-17, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

You want to see P2W at work? Look at world of tanks. You can buy ammunition that provides a clear advantage over free ammo that can only be bought with gold.

AFAIK PS2 does not nor is planning to put in weapons or ammo that provides a distinct advantage that can only be accessed with money, so no, PS2 is not P2W. Pay for convenience, pay for cosmetics, but not pay to win.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-09-17, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Whiteagle
Major

Well I've found out that Passive Certification Point gain is something EVERYONE is getting, and Members only get a 50% boost.

That's at least a lot better then only Subscribers getting passive Certs.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion