Outfits and you in PS2. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ANT Driver School, certifing terrorist bombers since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-04, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Piper
First Sergeant

Outfits and you in PS2.

Bit of a dual purpose thread I guess.

First, a chance for old PS1'ers to describe, lament or wax lyrical about some of their former outfits and why they were the right (or wrong) fit for them as an individual.

Secondly a chance for me to have a crack at describing the kinds of outfits that existed in PS1 and are likely to exist in PS2 for those that haven't been in PS1, especially in its heyday. Now you might be an old hand at all things MMO' and therefore think Outfits are just like guilds in MMOrpG's or clans in small scale map based FPS's. While that's mostly true there are some oddities that make them stand apart I guess.

So...er...

1/ The Zerg-fit.

My first outfit was a Zergfit I guess, that is to say it was interested in being BIG and unwieldy as a result. To be fair at least the Outfit leader did actually send me a /tell asking if I'd like in, upto till that point I'd had nothing but blind spam invites.

The Zergfit isn't very organised, focused or likely to demand much from you. Teamspeak, if it exists will be very optional as will grouping with outfit mates. Chances are next to no one actually knows each other prior to being in it. Like random footzerging? Join a Zergfit today!

2/ The Ego-fit.

PS1, on Werner, had a few Egofit's that I remember. None of them looked that appealing to be in. Characteristics of one will be that it might well be named after the leaders character in some respect. It's likely to be very top down, with pretensions of quasi-military organization. In fact, think cult. Got a masochistic itch you just can't scratch? Egofit is for you!

3/ The Friend-fit.

The Friendfit will have a core of a few folks who actually know each other in the flesh, they tend to be small and rarely add new people to their ranks. Because of their small size they tend to be highly organised yet relaxed at the same time. My third and final outfit was a friendfit, and I enjoyed my time in it immensely.

4/ The "Elite"-fit.

The word "Elite" just rubs me up the wrong way. But my second outfit was sort of along those lines, but it had the good taste to be a bit more modest really. I ended up in it because I found myself always in the same place at the same time on the map as them, doing re-secures and opening up fresh cont's. Organised, but more open and without the Egofit top down structure. Teamspeak and squad play very much non optional. Some of my best gaming memories of PS1, in terms of organisation and general kicking of buttocks, were from this outfit.

5/ The No-fit.

The unwashed masses almost made an outfit of their own in PS1. Between /b (what looks like /yell in PS2) and those that got their command ranks up from random squad leading. If you just don't give a rats arse about an outfit, with 666 people per cont' at any given time on your side but not on Teamspeak you can still have a social enough game I bet.

Did I miss any?

Last edited by Piper; 2012-08-04 at 05:01 PM.
Old 2012-08-04, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Atheosim
Captain

Re: Outfits and you in PS2.

You also have killwhore outfits who basically migrate to wherever the best farm is. You get in if you can make them a lot of squad exp.
Old 2012-08-04, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Piper
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
You also have killwhore outfits who basically migrate to wherever the best farm is. You get in if you can make them a lot of squad exp.
Oh yup. I was very uninterested in my stats in PS1 (they were very uninteresting themselves, which helped ) and always thought of kill'ores as more of the solitary type. Yet, you're right, they did sometimes come together in Whore-fits.
Old 2012-08-04, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

so, first outfit i ever joined was D2A on Markov right after launch. I got along well with a bunch of thier members, some of whom im still good friends with to this day. Then they opened a second division on Emerald and I moved over there to play NC. I stuck with them for a while, and left because I just had different goals at the time than zerging a lot. They weren't doing the same things I wanted to do. Good people though, and I always enjoy fighting with and against them. That was the largest zergfit I ever joined, but it was worth it.

Then eventually, I moved onto Forgotten Soldiers. Left after three weeks or so because again, they weren't doing what I wanted to do. Same with another couple outfits, though I remain good friends with many of them to this day. One of them was Army of 1, I left when they went inactive after a while. They had some of the best tankers and ground transport guys ive ever ran with.

Then I joined Cerberus Company, stayed with them until late 2007. We did a lot of resecures, opened new conts and all of that fun stuff. Wele on Cyssor, and Igaluck on Ceryshen were our regular haunts. Cerberus Company no longer exists, many of its members are apart of other notable outfits, such as Delta Triad, Black Widow Company, and a few others.

I took a four year break in 2008 until 2011. Came back and joined S.A.S until a month or two ago when it went inactive, like Cerb Co, SAS does resecures and all of that stuff. Good group of people and many of them I am still friends with today.

Today, I'm a member of the Praetorian Guard. Its a mobile infantry group that hits hard, moves fast, completes objectives and moves on. Its also pretty funny to be in vent with these guys.

What should you learn from this? JOIN A GODDAMN OUTFIT. Seriously. Its worth it.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-08-04, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Emperor
Corporal

You sure jump around a lot, p0intman.
Old 2012-08-04, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
AzureWatcher
Staff Sergeant

Are zerg-fits similar to those guilds from WoW and Co. that just invite random people to try and get as high a member count as possible?

If not, then I'm sure there will be these kinds of outfits as well.
Old 2012-08-04, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

The 666th was very large and very organized. We ran many different divisions which coordinated and supported each other. A lot of people called us a "zergfit", but had no idea the level of organization we put on the battlefield. Each of our divisions basically did what other specialty outfits did, and had each other to lean on. We had a friendly open door policy and weeded out those who did not fit in or didn't want to follow the rules. Our Code of Conduct takes a moral high ground in gameplay and was the highest expectation we had of our members. We trained a lot of new players the basics of the game and promoted a casual, friendly environment. Were we elitists? Hell no, and proud of that. Did we have a lot of great players? Yes. Did we have a lot of noobs? Yes, and many of them grew up in the outfit and became much better players. We pretty much did it all in the game and after the first few years, we hung it up and just played on auto-pilot. BFRs were in the game and many players were leaving.

The 666th is rebuilding for Planetside 2. Many old school players are back and we've picked up a ton of very promising new blood (to Planetside).

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-08-05, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
You sure jump around a lot, p0intman.
The ONLY outfit I've left before it went inactive or into hiberation where it wasn't viable anymore, was Forgotten Soldiers.

Originally Posted by AzureWatcher View Post
Are zerg-fits similar to those guilds from WoW and Co. that just invite random people to try and get as high a member count as possible?

If not, then I'm sure there will be these kinds of outfits as well.
Yes. For Example, Azure Twilight, Blue Lions, The 666th and Enclave are all (imo) examples of zergfits.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-08-05 at 12:20 AM.
Old 2012-08-05, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Piper View Post
Got a masochistic itch you just can't scratch? Egofit is for you!
Or if you've got a sadistic itch, make one!
Old 2012-08-05, 12:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
The 666th was very large and very organized. We ran many different divisions which coordinated and supported each other. A lot of people called us a "zergfit", but had no idea the level of organization we put on the battlefield.
Dude, by Markovian standards I'm pretty sure that the 666th is a zergfit. Maybe it's not D2A level zergfittery, but everything I've heard suggests that you yourself are a diamond in the less exceptional rough that is the 666th.

There were only ever three decent outfits on Markov, after all...

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-08-05, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sephirex
Major

I'll be curious to see who's infrastructures hold up and are able to rebuild upon entry into Planetside 2.
Definitely going to be keeping my eye out for a friendly Vanu outfit.

Last edited by Sephirex; 2012-08-05 at 01:00 AM.
Old 2012-08-05, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Ran with Wolf Brigade which was my first outfit and stayed with them for the first years of the game. Good group to hang out with, but not very disciplined or organized. We came up with objectives and took them down more often then not but it was more casual then tactical.

Second outfit I ran with was for a very short time before I quit playing all together. I forget the name but it was a dedicated sniper outfit with secondary air combat division forming. They grouped as many as 6 snipers together and took out MAX suits at range with BDs in very short order, not to mention infantry. The group was far more organized, with the air combat division flying in formation at all times out of combat. But PS was wearing on me by that time so I quit the game.

Both outfits were small and tightly knit groups that relied more on the core members then the rest of the group to keep the 'fit rolling though.
Old 2012-08-05, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
Dude, by Markovian standards I'm pretty sure that the 666th is a zergfit. Maybe it's not D2A level zergfittery, but everything I've heard suggests that you yourself are a diamond in the less exceptional rough that is the 666th.

There were only ever three decent outfits on Markov, after all...
Oh, I understand that. I just know that "zergfit" implies no organization, and that was simply not the case. "Zerging" is actually throwing numbers at an enemy and well, it worked for Ghengis Kahn. lol

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-08-05, 02:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Piper View Post
Did I miss any?
Solo stop-sending-me-invites-fit

I started out PS1 in no outfit, and ended up joining an outfit of a group of players I had played other MMOs with, they didn't stick around long in PS1 which left me alone in the Outfit, which was perfect. It was perfect, because as a player without an outfit you got spammed outfit invites all the time, worse you'd also get way more squad invites from players trying to gain Command Rank.. mostly players that had no business speaking in the command chats...and the game definitely didn't need more OS spam. Anyway, being in an outfit made most assume you were already in a squad and save you a gazillion invites.

I'm all for working for the common goals of my chosen Faction and listening to the natural leaders of the Faction (Ie not people just with a backpack and a mouth), but I don't want to be on voice, or feel compelled to play certain times or play in any other way than what I choose, and I see no point in grouping with a bunch of randoms, half of whom are probably 4th empire. So Solo stop-sending-me-invites-fit is what works for me.
Old 2012-08-05, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Oh, I understand that. I just know that "zergfit" implies no organization, and that was simply not the case. "Zerging" is actually throwing numbers at an enemy and well, it worked for Ghengis Kahn. lol
You're quite right.

The term zergfit is a put down and not an accurate description of many of the larger outfits.

I used to get a little techy about it at one time, now I just think meh, if you don't know you don't know.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion