Heavily Altered Amp Station on Esamir PTS - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is your brain. This is your brain on PSU.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-11-20, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
VikingKong
Sergeant

Thumbs up Re: Heavily Altered Amp Station on Esamir PTS

Yeah, that looks really good. Looking forward to getting in there and painting the walls red.
And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five
Who will?
Old 2013-11-21, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Canaris
Contributor
General

Re: Heavily Altered Amp Station on Esamir PTS

fair enough they've done some changes to the courtyard area of the base, for good or bad only time will tell, I hope for the good as I always do. That said why do they never think of revamping the interior/exterior of the main facility building to make it better.

In essence they're all just a 1 story building/hanger on the inside with either a large or microscopic mezzanine, they really have no substance to them at all, which is a damn shame as that's where the fighting happens for control of the base.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2013-11-21 at 07:19 AM.
Old 2013-11-21, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Looks amazing. Seems like it has great potential for actual battle flow instead of being a giant courtyard only useful for simulating the game frogger. The facility i dislike the most might end up being my favorite. Sowly bases are becoming much better forinfantry combat. Keep it up SOE.
Old 2013-11-21, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
fair enough they've done some changes to the courtyard area of the base, for good or bad only time will tell, I hope for the good as I always do. That said why do they never think of revamping the interior/exterior of the main facility building to make it better.

In essence they're all just a 1 story building/hanger on the inside with either a large or microscopic mezzanine, they really have no substance to them at all, which is a damn shame as that's where the fighting happens for control of the base.
Vents to crawl through and some hallways in the exterior walls, with some rooms that have windows into the cavernous inside areas, would be interesting. More places for squads to meet in secret and attack from, more places to hide and regroup, etc. to give that extra element of strategy.
Old 2013-11-21, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

My biggest take away from that video is the lack of turret bounce whilst on the move and the MASSIVE improvement to tank warfare that that is. Look at those Vannies push in firing on the run, dynamic tank battle great to watch. Eliminates 90% of bitching about getting C4d as you dont need to stop to shoot accurately at range.

The battle at the amp station itself was good too, I would have had high hopes for the game had I seen that a year ago. Holy fuck they munted the base design.

Last edited by GreyFrog; 2013-11-21 at 04:58 PM.
Old 2013-11-21, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
AThreatToYou
Major

My thoughts are really that I love this step in the right direction.

On the underground spawn matter, my idea would be to place bullet/projectile shields on the bottom of the ramps leading outside. Enemies can still pass through the shields if they so choose, but no one can shoot through them. Inside the spawn tunnel would be some cover that either the defenders or attackers could use.

Possibly the bullet shield could be placed across the entire spawn tunnel, just before the exit ramps. This way the defenders have a way to shoot/throw grenades out of their spawn whilst still being underground, and are still afforded protection when running out of the spawn from explosions.

Ideally the bullet shields would be activated only if the spawn point is held by the facility owners.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-11-21 at 05:43 PM.
Old 2013-11-21, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Stanis
Master Sergeant

I see the comments here are fairly positive.

To me it looks like the squeezed a normal FPS map as a mini-game into the walls of an Amp station.

There is still no synergy between inside/outside of the base in terms of defence.
There exterior walls are the annoyance they always were.

the base got divided up into segments - hard divisions because in most cases squads will be fighting run and gun.

no need for sunderers - the capture points are now hard spawn rooms. actual defenders need to flip 3 capture points to completely eliminate enemy presence in the hex.

It's a giant whack-a-mole game.
Not sure what to make of the actual amp station - if all the combat is going to be outside the main structure. Might as well remove it.

They've aligned and arranged buildings. Put some walls up to block and control LOS and called it 'urban'.

Unfortunately it's still not a happy balance between exterior (vehicle/air) to base (vehicle v. inf) to interior (inf).
Old 2013-11-21, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

You would still be better off with sundies outside each cap point if you are attacking, otherwise the fight dies as soon as you lose the points.

Interested in what you mean by the outside walls being an annoyance and what you think is an alternative? Not being an ass, just want to hear another opinion.
They cant really let vehicles into a base until they start designing them with over passes/underground passages etc. They haven't really factored it into the amp station which is a shame, but the last thing I want when trying to defend a base is to be locked into a building because MBTs have got me camped in. I'm firmly in the camp of vehicles fighting in between bases and over sunderers and spawn points and infantry fighting in the bases themselves.

Its only a whack-a-mole game if the defenders zerg around the base like kids at an under 8's soccer game. Squads spread out defending points through out a base is what excites me the most about this design.

I'm not saying its perfect, but there isn't really a single change in the redesign that doesnt make Amp stations better IMO.
Old 2013-11-21, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I haven't had much of a fight there, but I did a walk through. A couple comments, the new walkways between the subsections of the CY could do with being a little bit wider with a couple boxes for cover. Also, points B and C are directly related to the spawn room, but can still be flipped quite rapidly. If I may suggest, look at extending the cap times for those, somewhere between the current amount of time it requires and the amount of time needed to flip a hard spawn.
Either way, I hope that with the setup, for point B at least, leads to the return of the hold.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-11-22, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Rolfski
Major

I took another look at it and the walls between B and C point seem unnecessary as vehicles can't go there in the first place.
Old 2013-11-22, 03:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Mordelicius
Major

Originally Posted by Mordelicius View Post
- Move A to front of base instead of offset right. There's an empty building there with a platform in the middle. I'm not sure what that is for. But that's probably good for A spawn. Just give it an artificial roof.
I meant to say, move A capture point to the open platform on the top middle of the Amp station, not the spawnroom. Last time I checked, A was offset to the right. They could just add a shield cover atop the platform (same one on the Biolab).

And for those stairs, Sunderers can easily climb to circumvent the walls. Haven't tested Harassers and tanks though. Harassers likely can easily do it. Tanks with maybe a little more effort.

Lastly, they should experiment with Jumpads leading up to the top of the central building. I couldn't check because the Vanu owns the place, But I'll have to see the vantage from the top shooting down. I assume one can easily spam everything from top and destroy/suppress everything below, esp the capture points and spawn exits. Jumppads will serve as equalizer for those spots.
Old 2013-11-22, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

I checked out the new base on the test server a few things I really like and a few I did not.

1. Blast shields raised on the walls and the battlements to increase wall defense.
2. multiple spawn points with equip terms spread around the base "Makes for easy access to equip terms anywhere in the base for defender's."
3. Spawn Room with equip terms integrated into the super structure of the base.

Dislikes
1. Still holes in the walls to let enemy troops just run into the base unobstructed "even though it has been closed up some so vehicles can not do that anymore which is good."
2. Base mechanic changed so you gain a hard respawn point in a base you don't actually own just by capping one of its 3 cap points....WTF Terrible!!!!!?????
3. Way to few turrets on the walls and battlements.....Walls and battlements should be stacked with defensive turrets as well as a couple AA right on the superstructure's roof.

Last edited by Livefire; 2013-11-22 at 04:11 PM.
Old 2013-11-22, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

I am going to do another walkthrough tonight, because I saw it in an uncompleted state

Pros at this moment:
I like the layout
I like the new spawns linked to control points (Really want to see how this plays out)
I like that it is something Different
I like the walkways above the roads out, I like the vehicle shields, still being somewhat shielded and requiring some work to get to
I like the walls having more closed off towers

Dislike
The divisions between the sections of the amp station could use some work. I would put a couple Checkpoints in those walls, areas where people can get through but maybe there is a barricade at each side, so they could be defensive points.
I kind of wish with this, the points being so valuable on their own, that they would consider hackable control points again, or increase the time to take one of these points by a few seconds.
This may be out of nowhere, but why aren't there light bridges? This is a unique mechanic we see in interlinks right this moment, but Why isn't it somewhere else?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion