This Game Needs a Competitive Mode - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Self-destruct sequence acivated.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-03, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
SoUnreal
Private

This Game Needs a Competitive Mode

PlanetSide 2 really needs a separate and distinct mode/server strictly for competitive play. So first, for those not interested in competitive gaming, nothing at all changes for them and the game will continue on without them ever noticing. So it won't affect the core game or metagame one bit.

For those who want to see actual outfit vs outfit fights take place, bring more meaning to the battles, and tougher competition in general then this type of mode is really the only option. Just about every FPS out there is taking into account competitive play and e-sport given its huge popularity. Even CoD has made it a focus of their MP. PS2 can really bring something unique and brilliant to the competitive genre, as we've never seen massive battles take place between two competing teams. The scale and type of strategy involved would be absolutely unrivaled by any other game and it would be more enjoyable to watch than other title.

But, this can only happen with dev support. Is this something they've ever talked about or considered? Scheduled matches, ladders, tournaments, etc.. or simply outfit controlled territory with an end-game?
Old 2013-02-03, 02:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Re: This Game Needs a Competitive Mode

Maybe you should just play another game. Probably counter strike would be your thing.
Old 2013-02-03, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Chewy
Major

I see outfit v outfit all the time. It's called defending a base before it's taken. Tonight (before my net tanked and I had to bail) DVS defended a tower right outside of the VSes WG for at least an hour before pulling back to undo ghost caps the TR did (thank you, idiots holding the Crown). In that fight alone we held back what seemed like the entire of VS forces on Indar. It wasn't but damn near a 3rd if not more.

Im certain that there was an outfit making that push. It was one hell of a fight to keep that tower after losing the outposts next to that WG. Nearly lost it a few times. One HELL of a fight and Im certain that it was mainly outfit v outfit in that one and not the normal zerg rush out of spawn.
Old 2013-02-03, 04:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zulthus
Colonel

No. There is absolutely no valid reason to further stretch out the already thin population across the servers. Besides, this game already IS competitive by default. Massive battles are already taking place between two teams, hell, even three often enough. You already have what you want.

You guys will get your E-Sports fix once every couple of months as an event, as far as I remember the devs saying.
Old 2013-02-03, 05:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sonny
Contributor
First Sergeant

Hi SoUnreal,
As you can see from the replies to your post, this is quite a heated subject! Outfit tournaments was an idea recently suggested by the Devs as part of their 6-month plan - you can see the idea and join in the debate here.

Personally, I think that Outfit tournaments and competitions would add another layer of depth to the game and would be a great way to advertise the game to new players who haven't heard of it before. That only applies if the competitions happen infrequently enough so that they don't affect the population of the main server.

That's just my opinion. I think you'll find on this forum that more people are against the idea than for it!

Sonny
Old 2013-02-03, 05:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Blynd
First Sergeant

well the fact that its going to be a MLG esport shows there will be this in the game so why your posting about it as its been discussed in numberous topics by many people both for and against it and while i think it will be good if its done right this is SOE and smedly does love to screw the community over from time to time (BFR's anyone )

so yes its going to happen goodbye
Old 2013-02-03, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Keep population united, not divided.
Old 2013-02-03, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Any kind of competetive mode won't further divide the player population. According to the devs such events won't be held very often.
It remains to be seen what their plans are when it comes to how such events are going to be played. Will it just be an invite only server that is a copy of the actual servers? Will it be a server with a continent designed for different game types?

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-02-03 at 10:12 AM.
Old 2013-02-03, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Uhm... just play BF3 or CoD, you can have your 10 on 10 there. Why do you play Planetside if you are not interested in the big battles with hundreds of players?
Old 2013-02-03, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
No. There is absolutely no valid reason to further stretch out the already thin population across the servers. Besides, this game already IS competitive by default. Massive battles are already taking place between two teams, hell, even three often enough. You already have what you want.

You guys will get your E-Sports fix once every couple of months as an event, as far as I remember the devs saying.
Actualy there is a valid reason - it could bring in more players.
Old 2013-02-03, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
SoUnreal
Private

Originally Posted by Mox View Post
Maybe you should just play another game. Probably counter strike would be your thing.
I play CS, but I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay. It is worth noting though that they have done a great job in appeasing both casual and competitive players.. For the most part at least..

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I see outfit v outfit all the time. It's called defending a base before it's taken. Tonight (before my net tanked and I had to bail) DVS defended a tower right outside of the VSes WG for at least an hour before pulling back to undo ghost caps the TR did (thank you, idiots holding the Crown). In that fight alone we held back what seemed like the entire of VS forces on Indar. It wasn't but damn near a 3rd if not more.

Im certain that there was an outfit making that push. It was one hell of a fight to keep that tower after losing the outposts next to that WG. Nearly lost it a few times. One HELL of a fight and Im certain that it was mainly outfit v outfit in that one and not the normal zerg rush out of spawn.
There's nothing at all competitive about uncontested caps and having to pull from a good battle to recap those. Plus, that tower you fought tooth and nail for, more than likely will be capped uncontested at some point. So what does that great battle really mean? From a pure fun and enjoyment perspective a lot, from a competitive standpoint it doesn't remotely touch on anything. But again, it's great that people enjoy that and there's nothing wrong with it, but we can also have the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post

Pubs aren't competitive by default, never are and never will be which is what the game is right now. A massive pub, which is well and good for the intended purpose of the game, I'm just suggesting that they add another element to that. Pulling away less than 100 players at a time for a scheduled match really isn't going to make any significant difference in pop. Has a competitive scene split any other community?

Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Hi SoUnreal,
As you can see from the replies to your post, this is quite a heated subject! Outfit tournaments was an idea recently suggested by the Devs as part of their 6-month plan - you can see the idea and join in the debate here.

Personally, I think that Outfit tournaments and competitions would add another layer of depth to the game and would be a great way to advertise the game to new players who haven't heard of it before. That only applies if the competitions happen infrequently enough so that they don't affect the population of the main server.

That's just my opinion. I think you'll find on this forum that more people are against the idea than for it!

Sonny
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check that out.

Originally Posted by Blynd View Post
well the fact that its going to be a MLG esport shows there will be this in the game so why your posting about it as its been discussed in numberous topics by many people both for and against it and while i think it will be good if its done right this is SOE and smedly does love to screw the community over from time to time (BFR's anyone )

so yes its going to happen goodbye
I haven't been following this game, but I guess a search would have been in order.

Originally Posted by Dougnifico View Post

Keep population united, not divided.
It won't divide anything, instead it'll bring in more players.

Originally Posted by Sturmhardt View Post
Uhm... just play BF3 or CoD, you can have your 10 on 10 there. Why do you play Planetside if you are not interested in the big battles with hundreds of players?
Well BF3 and CoD are terrible games
Besides that I definitely do not want to see 10v10 matches on PS2. I want to see 30v30 or more. I want to see massive outfit battles, that's why I want so badly for this game to be on the competitive scene as it can bring something never seen before and it would really be fascinating to watch or be apart of.

& make no doubt there's a huge difference in the intensity and skill level of what we see now vs what would occur if there were organized outfit vs outfit matches.
Old 2013-02-03, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hamma
PSU Admin

SoUnreal,

Take a look at the recent MLG announcement and the various interviews surrounding it. There's lots of info on how they plan to implement competitive play.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-02-03, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
shamE
Private

Originally Posted by Sturmhardt View Post
Both of those games are dead and have been for a matter of years for big competition. Having a comp mode in planetside wont hurt the game at all and if anything will make it more popular.
Old 2013-02-03, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SoUnreal View Post
Besides that I definitely do not want to see 10v10 matches on PS2. I want to see 30v30 or more. I want to see massive outfit battles, that's why I want so badly for this game to be on the competitive scene as it can bring something never seen before and it would really be fascinating to watch or be apart of.
Any regular competetive mode based on 30vs30 fights will be dead within a few months. No clan or outfit could keep that amount of organization and training for competetive level up and running.
Anyone who ever either was a clanleader in competetive esports or had administrative positions in tournaments and/or ladders will assure you that.
It's just not possible.

It's possible as an event now and then, but not as a regular mode.
Old 2013-02-03, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
SoUnreal
Private

Originally Posted by Emperor Newt View Post
Any regular competetive mode based on 30vs30 fights will be dead within a few months. No clan or outfit could keep that amount of organization and training for competetive level up and running.
Anyone who ever either was a clanleader in competetive esports or had administrative positions in tournaments and/or ladders will assure you that.
It's just not possible.

It's possible as an event now and then, but not as a regular mode.
I've played GA where certain clans would field 2-3 SF's on a nightly basis, which is 20-30 people total...nightly.. PS2 is far more popular, not even comparable actually, so it's definitely possible on a weekly or monthly basis to see something like that.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion