News: Community Night with Matt Higby Recording - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I was going to get a Life, but its like a 560 MB download.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-01-30, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
Luperza
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Community Night with Matt Higby Recording

I enjoyed the show! Great job guys. Higby, were you outside? lol.
Old 2012-01-30, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
Hamma
PSU Admin

Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

He was indeed on his patio at the start until that train came along and derailed his plans. (no pun intended)

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-01-30, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
Shogun
Contributor
General

having a Q/A with matt always rules! nice show everybody!
i especially liked the bits of info about the engineer deployables. but i was all MOOOOOOOOOOORE!!! MOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAR!

in the recording it is not so visible as it seemed during the livesession, but did anyone notice that matt seems to be a fremen or at least he abuses the spice melange a lot ;-)

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-01-30, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
Gwartham
Corporal

Effective sniping in PS1 made a lot of sense.

Most modern snipers go out in groups of at least 2; the spotter and the shooter.

In PS1 2 snipers working together were lethal; took good teamwork.

I honestly would of like to see in PS2 instead of a sniper being instantly lethal to incorporate the spotter shooter mechanics into the game,

Maybe grouping with another sniper increases the effectiveness of both snipers?
Old 2012-01-30, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Gwartham View Post
I honestly would of like to see in PS2 instead of a sniper being instantly lethal to incorporate the spotter shooter mechanics into the game,

Maybe grouping with another sniper increases the effectiveness of both snipers?
dude do you read what you write? the beauty of planetside isn't that formations and teamwork yield arbitrary rewards, it's that player coordinated tactics are as rewarding as they are effective in and of themself.
Old 2012-01-30, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
Gwartham
Corporal

Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
dude do you read what you write? the beauty of planetside isn't that formations and teamwork yield arbitrary rewards, it's that player coordinated tactics are as rewarding as they are effective in and of themself.
No pair that with the notion of a solo sniper being able to make 1 shot kills, and then maybe my statement will make more sense, because now a single sniper seems like they will just as effective as 2 snipers were in PS1.
Old 2012-01-30, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Gwartham View Post
No pair that with the notion of a solo sniper being able to make 1 shot kills, and then maybe my statement will make more sense, because now a single sniper seems like they will just as effective as 2 snipers were in PS1.
Looking at what's considered "long range" in PS2, then adding in compensation for wind, bullet drop and leading the target (not including any other challenges that might be present), being able to make one shot kills doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a common occurrence. Don't imagine every sniper will be dropping everyone with one shot, because we don't know that'll be the case.
Old 2012-01-30, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
If you got 9k kills sniping, you were providing your empire with the 'murderous motherfucker' benefit. That is important in the grand scheme of things.
I like the cut of your jib.

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
When were there ever Cave battles? That was a useless expansion made in 3 months with like 2 weeks of testing. I think I could only remember one battle in them because they were so far out of the way people couldn't be bothered to travel to them.

MAX Units became useless so quickly once people worked out how to play the game. All you did was get in an Exo suit, carry a HA and the Deci with the Armour and Med Healing tools. If I can remember you'd have the speed buff, hide round a corner in third person and you could take out MAX units with ease. I think the only time they were ever used is to make flying aircraft annoying because it would only take a couple MAX units to protect the skies.

Last time I properly played Planetside was when it was ruined by BFRs but I played a trial in 2010 and not much had changed other than BFRs being nerfed useless.
tl;dr: All that was fixed.

tl: Caves were opened to all players and multiple events occurred in them. While less frequent that surface fights cave fights did regularly occur. The caves also offered a totally unique set of areas that some people really liked (just like some people like Cery which actually has fewer fights than the caves).

MAXs became effective when they nerfed the deci hot swap. They are legitimate threats again. The corner camping with AV is really only a problem in towers. In base fights it doesn't really matter. Recently (inside the last 2 years) there's been a change in the meta game so that 3rd person camping isn't as prevalent as most people carry grenades now for clearing corners.

You sound a lot like others that left right after BFRs were introduced. That BFRs are the children of the devil tends to be the common belief. Thing is that they've been nerfed to the point that they're arguably under powered.
"The implementation of BFRs was terrible but they could have been cool."
Old 2012-01-30, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
Carbanu
Contributor
Corporal

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
I like the cut of your jib.

tl;dr: All that was fixed.

tl: Caves were opened to all players and multiple events occurred in them. While less frequent that surface fights cave fights did regularly occur. The caves also offered a totally unique set of areas that some people really liked (just like some people like Cery which actually has fewer fights than the caves).

MAXs became effective when they nerfed the deci hot swap. They are legitimate threats again. The corner camping with AV is really only a problem in towers. In base fights it doesn't really matter. Recently (inside the last 2 years) there's been a change in the meta game so that 3rd person camping isn't as prevalent as most people carry grenades now for clearing corners.

You sound a lot like others that left right after BFRs were introduced. That BFRs are the children of the devil tends to be the common belief. Thing is that they've been nerfed to the point that they're arguably under powered.
"The implementation of BFRs was terrible but they could have been cool."
Yep Captain is right AND people seem to forget that Core Combat came before Aftershock (cough BFRs), so the caves were cool before there were BFRs and then they created a stigma against caving because no one wanted anyone to get their imprint!

I love the caves, here is something I put together for the devs to take a gander at..... I think its nice

http://imgur.com/a/iBpRc#0

I am excited about PS2 whether there are caves or not. Obviously if I could have them it would both be a blessing and a curse because I would never see the light of day. From what I have seen so far some hills, canyons, trees, and facilities I can tell that if they really put their mind to it and made some caves they would be 100 times better than what we know today.

TLDR: I love caves, give me some caves. Please.
Old 2012-01-30, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
Gortha
First Sergeant

Hey PSU, hey Guys,

there were some Rumors about some senseless Kill Cam Feature in Planetside2.

Pls ask Matt next time, if this is the truth and tell him we don´t want such a noobish feature in PS2!

@PSU

Very cool show and interview. Great as u were during the last Decade. Go on!

http://z0r.de/1573

Last edited by Gortha; 2012-01-30 at 11:39 PM.
Old 2012-01-30, 11:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
Atheosim
Captain

Pretty sure higby himself confirmed killcams.
Old 2012-01-31, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
Justaman
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
Pretty sure higby himself confirmed killcams.
WHAT??

Whats the point of trying to be a sniper if everyone and their dog, that you kill, will know exactly where you are?????!!!!

*Awww, you got sniped cause you stood still in an open field. Here's a free cookie, go sneak up on him. Your the only one allowed to be sneaky.*

All this does it make it feel more like some arcade game. I hope its not true.

Last edited by Justaman; 2012-01-31 at 03:01 AM.
Old 2012-01-31, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Atheosim
Captain

There's yet another huge thread on it in progress currently if you want to see what others are saying. Figment's wall o'text is worth reading if you're very interested in this issue.
Old 2012-02-01, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #119
AncientVanu
Sergeant

So Matt did make that commitment to the community that he won't cut his hair until the Beta goes online, right? That means what, 1-2 months at the most? Or else he won't be able to see where he's going unless he ties it in a ponytail
Old 2012-02-01, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by AncientVanu View Post
So Matt did make that commitment to the community that he won't cut his hair until the Beta goes online, right? That means what, 1-2 months at the most? Or else he won't be able to see where he's going unless he ties it in a ponytail
and since he is no VS he won´t tie his hair in a ponytail or pigtails.

(but i would really like to see higby with pigtails and his cpt. beard, riding a pink pony ... like t-ray does when he is working on vanu design with all office doors locked)

this also means, that PSU will be updated soon! since hamma told us, the new design will go live before beta starts ;-)

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion