Could BFRs work better with the new resource system? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bang.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-15, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
RNFB
First Sergeant

Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

I know the majority of people didn't like BFRs, I wasn't around when they were first introduced so I don't really know why cause mechs are cool.

But this is PlanetSide 2 and I think BFRs should be given a second chance because mechs are awesome and they would look BOSS in ForgeLight.

Perhaps if they were exclusive to Outfits that are able to procure large amounts of resources? They would be quite powerful, but much fewer in number because of their difficulty to obtain. They could be really expensive to the point that even the best outfits would barely be able to afford more than one or two per day.

I think if done right, they would be a lot of fun.
Old 2012-03-15, 01:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Re: Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

First before flames.
Old 2012-03-15, 02:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Raka Maru
Major

There were *hints* that this could happen down the line. If done right, they could be walking tanks or artillery.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-15, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

This game already has BFRs. They were resized down to a tank chassis and lost their shields and flight variants.

Driver gunning, customizable secondary gunner, and weak spot in the rear remains.
Old 2012-03-15, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Kran De Loy
Captain

No.

If a mech costs the same as 20 tanks and the mech is not as useful as 20 tanks it's wasteful, if it is as useful or more than 20 tanks it's over powered.

There simply can not be any balance to it.

Edit: POTD before my post http://www.planetside-universe.com/p...td.php?id=1330

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-15 at 02:15 AM.
Old 2012-03-15, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Atheosim
Captain

There's simply no place for mech units that are more powerful than MBTs. Find some other niche for them and it may work out fine. But there is absolutely no place for uber units in PS2 or PS1, bar none, however expensive and difficult to obtain.
Old 2012-03-15, 04:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Figment
Lieutenant General

Not this topic again...
Old 2012-03-15, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
This game already has BFRs. They were resized down to a tank chassis and lost their shields and flight variants.

Driver gunning, customizable secondary gunner, and weak spot in the rear remains.
This is true.......
Old 2012-03-15, 05:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Mechs fit stylistically, but the issue is gameplay niche. Would simply making a vehicle that retains much of the function of MBTs but is simply "better than" be an appropriate area of the game to add a vehicle for? This is the real consideration. How much of an improvement would it be to add something like mechs when their function is to simply be better than tanks?

Serious mech consideration posts need to think more about what function mechs would have which would make them distinct from other vehicles and expand the gameplay.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-03-15 at 05:47 AM.
Old 2012-03-15, 05:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

oh snap.

aww... you edited your post

Last edited by StumpyTheOzzie; 2012-03-15 at 04:30 PM.
Old 2012-03-15, 05:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Well, after the extensive playtesting you've done of Planetside 2, both with and without mechs as a vehicle heavier than MBTs so as to arrive at the informed conclusion that there is indeed no place for mechs in the game, I think we would all be wise in deferring to your well-informed opinion on this issue. It's those other people -- those unimaginative, knee-jerking fools who throw ideas out the window before they've even played the game -- that we need to be on the lookout for.
You are right in saying the discussion should be about what is mech and what they should be in-game if they are ever implemented. However, people who understand mech as BFRs also think that shooting ourselves in the foot a second time to understand it will hurt like hell is not a good idea; do not call them fools for thinking of BFRs when they say mechs. BFRs truly were a disaster based on the opinions of many.

This was discussed already and constructive suggestions were given for mechs in PS2 (along with different definitions of what people understand as "mech"):
New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2
http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=36707

With that said, my opinion is that PS2 is far from being complete anyways and my guess is that the game will be released asap with a well-rounded infantry gameplay and a rushed vehicle gameplay ruined by all the shortcuts taken.

Hopefully, devs will focus more on vehicle-side post-release and we will have a truly complete game by end of year 1.

EDIT:
And this is the opinion I share about PS2 vehicle gameplay:
Originally Posted by Malorn View Post

However, every player will be on one so it will be balanced.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-03-15 at 06:01 AM.
Old 2012-03-15, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Personally, if you're going to add Mechs then they need balancing. I'd say that mechs should be one of either two things. Close range vehicle support, they'd fight alongside the tanks providing extra firepower. In this scenario the mechs would be high armour but lower firepower than a tank, their role being to soak up fire. Or on the other hand, high powered and long range, a kind of bombarding vehicle, sitting way back behind the tanks blowing crap up with powerful weaponry, but very low armour.

OR you could have both, with 2 very distinct looking mechs, a small stumpy dwarflike roamer type mech perhaps for the close assault version and a tall gangly version for the high power long range but weak. Their stylistic design reflecting their roles and their strengths/weaknesses.

In this respect I think they can support vehicle play as an interesting alternative as well as a nice visual difference to see roaming the battlefield.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-15, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Monkey
Private

Metal... Gear??
Old 2012-03-15, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Vancha
Colonel

I'm all for mechs, just not the supertank kind. More like upright/walking tanks than humanoid mecha, y'know?

A support mech, especially a deployable mech, would seem like a good thing to fill the holes of a spec-ops respawn point (for when Galaxies are just too damn huge), a radar/logistics vehicle, or possibly artillery if they ever figure out how to implement it well. Maybe even a command "base", where leaders can survey the battlefield.

Plus whatever industrial roles might be involved (sort of like the ANT was, but hopefully without the drudgery).

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-03-15 at 10:24 AM.
Old 2012-03-15, 06:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
roguy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
First before flames.
Who would even want to flame him? He's absolutely right that mechs are awesome, the PS1 community thought so too back when they were announced.

I'd love them in the game too if they found a way to NOT make them silly overpowered with a role that overlapped everything in the game.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion