Question about streaming for AGN? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 99 billion served, or is that McDonalds?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > Auraxis Global Network [AGN]

Old 2011-11-27, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Question Question about streaming for AGN?

Hello folks, hope its ok to post here?

If not just move it.

Right how did you folks get over the fear of being on screen and for folks to be hearing you? Or did you guys just go for it, and not really have stage fright

Love AGN btw.

Thanks,

Morto.
Old 2011-11-27, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: Question about streaming for AGN?

While I don't do that myself, but I'd guess with a somewhat normal self esteem it isn't too big of a deal. Easier when you don't have the audience in front of you and you don't really see them and their expressions etc.

Many world class performers still today even after decades of doing that still get anxious before a show. But like with most people, it goes away for most parts when you just get it on.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2011-11-27, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
While I don't do that myself, but I'd guess with a somewhat normal self esteem it isn't too big of a deal. Easier when you don't have the audience in front of you and you don't really see them and their expressions etc.

Many world class performers still today even after decades of doing that still get anxious before a show. But like with most people, it goes away for most parts when you just get it on.
Look at the likes of Day 9 and TotalBiscuit, they have been doing for years now, and seem to have it sorted. Im going to have to run some tests. if I can get over that ill be on my way!

Cheers for the reply Core.
Old 2011-11-27, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Coreldan
Colonel

Also, my future career pretty much consists of alot of performing in front of an audience, both speaking and singing, so I've been on some courses regarding this issue.

Fact is, that for most people who are anxious about performing (just about everyone unless they've done it for a good while), you can't see the anxiety from the outside. You might feel that everybody is gonna see and hear you being anxious, but most people will feel your performance was natural. There are also plenty of good tricks that will soothe you mid-performance, but I don't really know whether those can quite be applied for streaming.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2011-11-27, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Marsman
Major

AGN was an audio show back in Planetside 1 - initially we had intended to keep it that way. Our first couple of AGN shows for Planetside 2 were audio only shows. When we first brought video into the picture, we had the "AGN Desk" to allow us to present motion video and screenshots and yet still keep our mugs off camera However, after viewing some other shows attempts at live video and seeing that it could indeed be pulled off in a professional manner, we decided to bite the bullet and go for a fully live video show.

As we had done AGN in the past as audio, both Hamma and I were pretty comfortable with audio. Video was a whole new challenge of course. If we appear comfortable on camera, let's just say we've fooled you well. There is a lot going on in the background technically and we're both more concerned with that then our appearances so I guess we really don't have much time to think about it.

Myself, I've been a professional musician playing classic rock off and on for many years. Rather used to being on-stage in front of a crowd. I have been told over the years, I have that "DJ" voice, so I actually did a little DJ work a number of years ago at a local radio station. Back in the day, I was a CB nut and later became an advanced class Amateur Radio Operator (KA1NNN and later W1NNN) so I'm pretty used to speaking into a microphone. As such, I'm fairly comfortable with my voice and even have gotten to the point I no longer cringe when hearing it. (you know.. the typical "I really sound like that?" syndrome lol)

Hamma, as far as I know, had not done any broadcasting prior to AGN. I remember him back in the initial days of AGN being a bit shy to get on the air but became more comfortable over the audio-only years on AGN. With Planetside2 however, he's pulled out all the stops and seems very comfortable as a video personality, doing all the camera switching, and being the prominent face of AGN video these days.

I think we both squirm more for the technical content than the fear of being in front of the camera. It is a tremendous challenge to ensure all the audio, video, screenshots, overlays, Teamspeak, Skype, the broadcast, on and on... type stuff all works. It's AGN. Something "always" screws up - it's just the nature of the beast, but we work hard to try to make it all come off as smooth and seamless as we can. But as I said before, if we sound and look calm, then we done our best to fool you and we appreciate your kind words!
Old 2011-11-27, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

Well we have been doing it for a long time, even though it was just audio at first taking the dive into video was pretty easy. I got my feet wet mostly by doing "Hamma Time" and doing lots of drinking and just hanging out with the community.

I don't encourage that method.. but it worked for me I never saw myself as someone broadcasting on the internet especially via video.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-11-29, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Graywolves
General

For me the biggest challenge is not spitting a curse word every couple seconds.

In high school I was terrified of public speaking but by the time I got in college I was one of the best presenters when I put the work into it.

I find that being as prepared as possible helped me into speaking confidently to groups in person and lead to me being able to be more comfortable.

Speaking over teamspeak is very easy because I do that almost daily.

If I ever go on webcam for any reason I think that would be a new hurdle because right now I just kind of look at my router when I'm talking and not doing something....I could put my webcam there!!!
Old 2011-11-29, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I find that being as prepared as possible helped me into speaking confidently to groups in person and lead to me being able to be more comfortable.

If I ever go on webcam for any reason I think that would be a new hurdle because right now I just kind of look at my router when I'm talking and not doing something....I could put my webcam there!!!
Go for it! hamma, you might have more folks for AGN

Also the prep work is something i never do, and maybe this is my downfall. I do know some caster etc have things written down. I did notice the folks on AGN do 2. I might try that. On thing is I can chat away on XBox live or TS no problems. But when it comes to an audience things change.
Old 2011-11-29, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
Go for it! hamma, you might have more folks for AGN

Also the prep work is something i never do, and maybe this is my downfall. I do know some caster etc have things written down. I did notice the folks on AGN do 2. I might try that. On thing is I can chat away on XBox live or TS no problems. But when it comes to an audience things change.
I used to just throw it and make mental preparation. But it wasn't until I had cards and reference materials that I was able to actually do it comfortably.

I did some presentations with no more than an hour's preparation but I don't think I'd be able to do that effectively or appear comfortable without having done it with all the bases properly prepared and covered in experiences prior.

I believe it is important to, at a minimum, have something to keep track of what you have planned to cover. A notecard with simple bullet points of what you plan on talking about is very useful.
Old 2011-12-01, 07:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

I've got a similar story to Graywolves. Main thing for me was that I had a really good speech professor at JC. The fear and nerves are still there but being prepared and practicing your speech in the location that you're actually going to give it helps a lot. If you're constantly having problems with a part it's ok to write it down and have it on hand so that when you do mess up you have an immediate solution.
The major problem I have is that I can't seem to get myself to stop wheezing. I've gotten rid of most of the "uuuhhh" sound effects but my breathing has a constant dry rasp that I don't tell people about so they don't hear it when listening. Some people also find my laugh disturbing as I do so while inhaling.

I've got a webcam of sorts and would like to help stress test the AGN video stream. I know that was a concern last broadcast as the number of video broadcasts the stream could hold at once was unknown.
Old 2011-12-01, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

More than that it's a "What program to use" thing, right now we use Skype and can only bring in one additional guest. We'd need to find a good lightweight program to have multiple people in one chat with video.

Google Plus *seems* to have this possibility, but I haven't put a ton of research into it yet.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > Auraxis Global Network [AGN]