E3 Dust Footage - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where's my Doritos and Pepsi?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion > EVE Online Discussion

Old 2012-06-05, 03:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
E3 Dust Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tASM8P6c16c

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-06-05, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: E3 Dust Footage

Not impressed. That said, I don't even have a PS3.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-06-05, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

It is perhaps more impressive if you've seen the Fanfest footage and know what's going on behind the action. Every vehicle and every suit of armor has customization to it comparable with EVE ships. The performance of players in battles also results in cash that can be used to purchase new and better weapons and equipment and vehicles, like those tanks or flying vehicles, although if you get killed in your fancy new tank it's gone until you buy another one.

Personally I think, while a console shooter is something I could never get into, the depth of Dust is something that Planetside 2 could learn a hell of a lot from. The depth of character development, soldier and vehicle customization, and the whole deal with being a mercenary earning money to get better toys. The character development is far more extensive than Planetside 2's and there isn't any "you can only actually have a few certs active at a time" nonsense. Every suit of armor and vehicle can be customized with a variety of weapons, upgrades, and add-ons to make it function the way you want. The PS2 version of "well it's a tank and it has 3 slots for customization" doesn't even come close. And, at least personally, I love the idea of getting paid for doing well and being able to use that money to buy a better tank or a better gun.

In all I'm pretty excited about Dust coming to the PC. I think Planetside 2 will be great, but the two games competing with each other and learning from each other can only be good for the genre. Although I guess Dust technically isn't massive in scope as individual battles won't ever be in the 100s I'd assume, a lot of the ideas it has would benefit Planetside 2 nonetheless.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Coreldan
Colonel

I don't think they really compete with each other, though. As far as I know, Dust (at least on PS3) is limited in player numbers in a similar fashion to fe. BF3.

Could be old information, but I heard about 32v32 max? As in, it sorta lacks the thing I most look from Planetside 2 and as for being 32v32 shooter, I think there will be better around there (but I dont really even play that genre).

That said, if/when it comes on PC and as F2P, I will probably try it. It just wont compete with PS2 for me.

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-06-05 at 07:19 AM.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

They're both FPS/RPG hybrids, but yeah, as I mentioned the scale will be different. Whether they'll compete with one-another, well, hard to say. Planetside isn't really persistent beyond the characters. I mean, technically if you take a base it stays yours till it's taken from you, but bases will change hands many times a day most likely. The world in PS2 is essentially unchanging.

Meanwhile, with Dust there's the obvious EVE connection. The actions you take can have pretty significant consequences on planets in EVE, or so they say. So in that sense, Dust is less of a match-based shooter than Planetside 2 will be. Even though it is indeed such a shooter, the impact those Dust matches has will be far more consequential than anything you can do in Planetside 2.

Honestly, I think at the end of the day they will compete, but there'll be room for both to thrive. People who want really big battles will be able to get them in Planetside 2. People who prefer more coordinated, balanced, small-scale fights will be able to go to Dust for them, although to be fair you'll I guess have some small-scale opportunities in Planetside 2 as well. Either way it can only help the budding competitive multiplayer FPS/RPG genre for these two games to do well and to spur one-another to greater heights.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Greeniegriz
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
That said, if/when it comes on PC and as F2P, I will probably try it. It just wont compete with PS2 for me.
Is it rumored to come to PC?

First I've heard this.

Cheers, GG

Sent from my neighbors yard using Tapatalk 2

PSU Folding Team - Join Today!
Don't follow me on Twitter
Old 2012-06-05, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
They're both FPS/RPG hybrids, but yeah, as I mentioned the scale will be different. Whether they'll compete with one-another, well, hard to say. Planetside isn't really persistent beyond the characters. I mean, technically if you take a base it stays yours till it's taken from you, but bases will change hands many times a day most likely. The world in PS2 is essentially unchanging.

Meanwhile, with Dust there's the obvious EVE connection. The actions you take can have pretty significant consequences on planets in EVE, or so they say. So in that sense, Dust is less of a match-based shooter than Planetside 2 will be. Even though it is indeed such a shooter, the impact those Dust matches has will be far more consequential than anything you can do in Planetside 2.

Honestly, I think at the end of the day they will compete, but there'll be room for both to thrive. People who want really big battles will be able to get them in Planetside 2. People who prefer more coordinated, balanced, small-scale fights will be able to go to Dust for them, although to be fair you'll I guess have some small-scale opportunities in Planetside 2 as well. Either way it can only help the budding competitive multiplayer FPS/RPG genre for these two games to do well and to spur one-another to greater heights.
The reason I probably undervalue the "peristancy" as it effects a whole other game from a whole other genre is just that. Your usual FPS player will not be playing EVE, most likely the same thing goes the other way around.

To further make that problematic, the other is a PC game, other one (for now at least) PS3 exclusive.

So the persistancy, while there, will not be there for majority of the players.

That said, PS3 + Free to play + good devs = it's going to be a major success and I hope all the best for it, just personally I have about zero interest for it.

Old 2012-06-05, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Greeniegriz View Post
Is it rumored to come to PC?
Yes, it's been hinted at by CCP that it will come to the PC eventually. It makes sense, as I think the PS4 is supposed to be released in 2013, and counting on a sizable player base for a game exclusive to a previous gen console is not a very smart bet to make.

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
The reason I probably undervalue the "peristancy" as it effects a whole other game from a whole other genre is just that.
It affects the Dust players as well though. The territory fought for and won has some bearing on the mercenary corporations players belong to in Dust, from what I gather. So success in Dust will have lasting impacts for the players in Dust, beyond the obvious money rewards. For people who want the game to be more than just individual shooting matches, having that sense of persistency will be beneficial and something that will set it apart from Planetside 2, where you will lose territory the instant you are not actively defending it.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-06-05 at 10:36 AM.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

oops
Old 2012-06-05, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Yes, it's been hinted at by CCP that it will come to the PC eventually. It makes sense, as I think the PS4 is supposed to be released in 2013, and counting on a sizable player base for a game exclusive to a previous gen console is not a very smart bet to make.
Where was it hinted? The notion I've seen is Sony is forcing it to be exclusive to the play station.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-06-05, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

GDC 2012 Interview

While many EVE Online players aren't thrilled with DUST 514's PlayStation 3 exclusivity, there may be hope for a PC release yet. And while the devs weren't ready to make any official statements on the spot, a bit of wink-nudging indicates that a PC release may still be in the cards. As the devs note, mouse and keyboard controls are already supported in the PS3 version of the title. "I wonder why we did that," Hilmar joked during the interview.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion > EVE Online Discussion