News: Community Interview with Jon Weathers - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Anyone got a cookie?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-29, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Talented Maori
Corporal

Re: Community Interview with Jon Weathers

What I got from that interview is that they need us to beta test for them so they can gain more info...., hey, I suppose I can help, if I have too

MAG on PS3 had good examples of leadership levels and different chat channels, worked really well for co-ordination of large groups. It also had defined squads (8 peeps), platoons (4xsquads [32peeps]) and companies (4x platoons [128peeps]) and with the chat channels being tiered it allowed for 'clean' communication between the leadership positions.

Jst my 2cents
Old 2012-05-29, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
*stuff*
Iv been in alot of outfits, im currently in multiple ones for all different games, i agree with that some people just don't get along, infact in the larger ones they usually wont know eachother or dislike eachother, but they stay together for the epics or to win, whatever.

I lead the best order guild on my server for WAR, we did it with only 24 online people, the next games we played we wernt such a force because i had no desire in recruiting again and running an outfit of that size, we endd up allying with one of our enemys who we always respected in WAR and you;re right there were different social sects, but none of our guilds wanted to really recruit and run raids like that, for our lack of commitment and dedication we were less successful. I'm not going to complain about it though, i knew in advance how my choices would playout.

If you dont want to put in the effort and roll with an effective force in PS2 then you wont be a factor. we shouldnt limit platoons or squad functionality for because some casuals cant or dont want to get their shit together.

Also, for years FC ran undermanned, it didn't stop us, play better, pick your fight.s there always something to do for a small group in planetside, you may not be able to play that more tactical roll, but you can sure as hell still play the game and you wont be forced out be larger outfits. This isnt an MMO where as 6 guys and you face off against 24 people you get your face mopped up without killing anybody, this is planetisde, you fire at the fuckers and take as many bitches as you can down before they swarm you or if you're good or they're perhaps bad enough, you can fend them off.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-29, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
MgFalcon
Captain

This by far was one of my favorite interviews, we finally got a great deal of information in regards to Command and the mission system.

Also... FUCK YEAH!!! - PLATOONS ARE IN!!!! (maybe, definitely)
Old 2012-05-29, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
kaffis
Contributor
Major

You know, whatever. Sure, I've never run an outfit of a hundred guys. But I ran an outfit with thirty or so in the first year of Planetside, and so, yeah -- I'm speaking from the other end of the spectrum.

I know when you get 15 guys on an evening, your outfit as at a serious efficacy disadvantage compared to the ones that roll multiple full platoons. And it was a constant source of tension in our outfit -- some of the guys got really frustrated at that and left, leaving others in the difficult choice of choosing which friends to "follow", etc. Several quit playing as that attrition broke up our group.

So, yeah, I think I can say it's a potential problem. It's perfectly fair for you to write those like us off as unimportant, but it's valid feedback that I hope Sony is willing to consider -- not everybody gravitates to the large outfit game (and I'm not going to stoop to your level and start calling you zergfits since you called us casuals).

Furthermore, I don't want large outfits being their insular selves because they've got ready platoon organization undermining the usefulness of the mission system.

If the large outfits aren't issuing missions (because they're using platoon organization, instead), then the commanders of smaller forces don't have the information to utilize the mission system well to *synergize* with the large outfits' operations.

I get that the large outfits want to be the gatekeepers of all Empire strategy -- but that's only fun for large outfits. And it doesn't have to be that way. The mission system is promising to be a gold mine of strategically valuable information, readily available and shared amongst organizations of all structures and sizes.

Also, whoever it was that said "I don't want to be typing up missions when I could just issue orders through Teamspeak" or whatever it was is an idiot. There's literally no way the Planetside devs will release a mission system that requires "typing out missions".
Old 2012-05-29, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
SgtMAD
Captain

go check it out,its in the cert tree for commanders,the ability for player generated missions

and in PS Ht ran a full platoon almost 24/7,we weren't zerging around,we were hotdropping on anything we could think of,hardly a zergfit

Last edited by SgtMAD; 2012-05-29 at 10:46 PM.
Old 2012-05-29, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
Graywolves
General

You know, whatever. Sure, I've never run an outfit of a hundred guys. But I ran an outfit with thirty or so in the first year of Planetside, and so, yeah -- I'm speaking from the other end of the spectrum.

I know when you get 15 guys on an evening, your outfit as at a serious efficacy disadvantage compared to the ones that roll multiple full platoons. And it was a constant source of tension in our outfit -- some of the guys got really frustrated at that and left, leaving others in the difficult choice of choosing which friends to "follow", etc. Several quit playing as that attrition broke up our group.

So, yeah, I think I can say it's a potential problem. It's perfectly fair for you to write those like us off as unimportant, but it's valid feedback that I hope Sony is willing to consider -- not everybody gravitates to the large outfit game (and I'm not going to stoop to your level and start calling you zergfits since you called us casuals).

Furthermore, I don't want large outfits being their insular selves because they've got ready platoon organization undermining the usefulness of the mission system.

If the large outfits aren't issuing missions (because they're using platoon organization, instead), then the commanders of smaller forces don't have the information to utilize the mission system well to *synergize* with the large outfits' operations.

I get that the large outfits want to be the gatekeepers of all Empire strategy -- but that's only fun for large outfits. And it doesn't have to be that way. The mission system is promising to be a gold mine of strategically valuable information, readily available and shared amongst organizations of all structures and sizes.

Also, whoever it was that said "I don't want to be typing up missions when I could just issue orders through Teamspeak" or whatever it was is an idiot. There's literally no way the Planetside devs will release a mission system that requires "typing out missions".

People are still going to leave because of numbers if they are annoyed at running with a group that has low numbers. It could be because your squad is not 30 people or because you don't have a full platoon.

Having more tools for organization to make commanding large groups of people more convenient isn't going to undermine public missions/commands.

The possible flaws many of us see in the mission system is possible exploits or limited purpose beyond aiming the zerg. But that's an entirely different topic than Outfit/Platoon organization. One isn't going to effect the other in usefulness.
Old 2012-05-29, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
kaffis
Contributor
Major

If all you're expecting out of the mission system is something to "aim the zerg," then it's pretty clear why you don't think platoons will undermine it.

I anticipate the developers setting the bar higher than that, though. The mission system has the potential to be a tool for squad commanders to coordinate -- to see what others are already doing, and identify areas they can either help that effort, or see that it's well in hand and place their own efforts in another useful spot.

That gets undermined when the information isn't complete because platoons or outfits are eschewing it in favor of their own operational communications.

By walling their own plans off from the mission system, such commanders using other channels to coordinate *lessen the ability of others to synergize with their plans.* I don't see how I can help make that any more clear.

If you set out from the start to ignore the mission system, then, yes, it will be nothing but a tool to aim the zerg. And that's a failure. Let's not build tools to make it easier to ignore the mission system from the outset.

If nothing else, I'd hope we can have beta start without platoons, then use directed feedback and testing to make the mission system awesome. Then, once the mission system is complete and well-designed, the need for platoon communications could be evaluated; if there's little to no need, then don't bother implementing it and *potentially* upsetting the value of the mission system. If it is still needed *despite* the mission system, it can be added easily in late beta.

How is that a bad proposal?
Old 2012-05-29, 11:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #143
SKYeXile
Major General

yea i dont think there will be typing out missions that would be crazy, it will be as simple has hit afew tick boxes and clicking a location imo, shouldn't take too long, they will all be variable things we can change etc. imo i think it will function much like a voice macro in PS1.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-29, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
yea i dont think there will be typing out missions that would be crazy, it will be as simple has hit afew tick boxes and clicking a location imo, shouldn't take too long, they will all be variable things we can change etc. imo i think it will function much like a voice macro in PS1.
Yeah. Tick boxes or dropdowns. You make a good point, hotkeys like old voice macros could be pretty slick.

But in any event, it pretty much has to be that way for any rewards to be granted or the game to even recognize mission completion.
Old 2012-05-29, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #145
SKYeXile
Major General

Yeah. Tick boxes or dropdowns. You make a good point, hotkeys like old voice macros could be pretty slick.

But in any event, it pretty much has to be that way for any rewards to be granted or the game to even recognize mission completion.
ya i think it would give some options like

Command:
attack
defend
kill

where:
at hex
objective (eg inkanam node 4 etc)
grid
at waypoint
in vercinity of waypoint

for:
time
for xx kills
etc

then i dunno about rewards(if anyway), that maybe customisable but open to exploits potentially.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-29, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #146
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Voice adds so much to the gameplay experience, but it's mostly the people who really love the game who get into using voice. Imagine if it was easy and ubiquitous, how much better of an experience the game would be for everyone. Obviously you have to be able to create custom channels, moderate them, turn off default ones and have quick ways to deal with people spamming you (friendly fire?) over it. I'd really love to make in-game VOIP in Planetside 2 robust and cool enough that you'll want to use it, and your clan will want to use it, so that way you're part of the same ecosystem as the guy whos trying the game for the first time and you can communicate with him easily and seamlessly. There are a lot of hurdles to jump over to make it happen, though.
Personally, for me, I think its very important to level the playing field. Outfits have always had the "voice-advantage" over squads/platoons that didnt. Now, that advantage is less, or gone, and I for one am gleaming with joy

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 2012-05-30, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #147
LtCarman
Private

That was a pretty solid interview...nice job Hamma and Jon! Just makes me even more excited about PS2. And I'm glad that we're finally going to see a well integrated VoIP system.

The only thing that's worrying me at this point is the auto-join squad system. It is definitely good to have the option there, but I hope that we can still form and join specific squads of our choosing. Now normally, I wouldn't be concerned about this, but it just brings back awful memories of BF3's beta where that was the only thing you could do. There was no option to manually join or create a squad.
Old 2012-05-30, 12:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #148
Bags
Lieutenant General

If you can't make squads how could the auto-squad joiner put you in one?
Old 2012-05-30, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #149
LtCarman
Private

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
If you can't make squads how could the auto-squad joiner put you in one?
The way the BF3 beta did it, when you couldn't join any more open squads, you automatically formed a new squad.
Old 2012-05-30, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #150
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by LtCarman View Post
The way the BF3 beta did it, when you couldn't join any more open squads, you automatically formed a new squad.
I highly doubt this will happen. Auto-join is for those people who apparently exist that can't be assed to make their own squad or understand how to join one manually. The rest of us should be able to make our own squads.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion