Planetside 2 System Requirements? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm not awake until I get my morning flame in.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-19, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info
Planetside 2 System Requirements?

Update: http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/...Specifications

What do you guys think the system requirements for this game will be.
I have alot of friends with mid range systems. That can play WoW, Rift, Cyrsis 2 reasonably well.

I will be picking up a new comp sometime in the near future when I hear the official system specs. going all out for this game. very excited.

But what type of systems do you think the game will run on?

Last edited by Ghryphen; 2012-09-17 at 03:19 PM.
Old 2011-07-19, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Volw
First Sergeant

Re: Planetside 2 System Requirements.?

They said they are aiming to make it run on a 4(5?) year old PCs in the interview.

I'm quite sure Crisis 2 grade PC is going to be more than enough.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-19, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Yeah, a lot of speculation right now. Especially over my PhysX question posted a couple of days ago. Right now I'm running a dual core e8400 w/ 4Gb of memory and a Radeon 6850. But will probably do a massive upgrade and roll into a hexa-core with 6-8Gb of memory and 2 nVidia cards SLI'd. Could be overkill, could be just right. But I want to do Planetside 2 justice when playing it. You don't buy a Ferarri to just have it sit in your driveway.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2011-07-19, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

As soon as I settle down in 1 spot i'll get a kickass PC. Until then I'm stuck on my laptop.
Old 2011-07-19, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Vancha
Colonel

It depends whether they meant 5 years old from when they made the statement or 5 years old at the time of release. Either way, everything's just speculation until people can test their rigs in beta.
Old 2011-07-19, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
MgFalcon
Captain

The soul of your first-born.

And 2Gig of Ram
Old 2011-07-19, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

They said 4 - 5 years old, Smedley said 3 years.

My computer which was just behind the curve 4 years ago:

C2Duo @ 2.66 Ghz
2 GB 800 MHz Corsair Dominator Ram
8800 GT 512 mb

Probably something like that.

I have a GTX 460 right now and I'm waiting to find out what the specs are before I upgrade my CPU/RAM/MOBO.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-19 at 03:37 PM.
Old 2011-07-19, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Infektion
Sergeant Major

I say
Recommended:

Dual core 3.0Ghz or better
GTX 260 or equivalent
4GB Ram
DVD-Rom
56k dialup or better (had to throw that in)
Old 2011-07-19, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sirisian
Colonel

I'd imagine DX10/11 honestly. With their feature set, from a programming perspective, I'm picturing bottlenecks in DX9 leading me to believe they'll not support or drop DX9 support quickly in order to make certain feature untoggleable.

Medium range DX10 card probably will be the minimum with a quad-core CPU and 4 GB of RAM with Windows 7.

What they'll tell people though on the package? DX9 with a dual core XP and 2 GB of RAM. It'll run horribly on low quality in battles and die when the fights get large.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-07-19 at 04:26 PM.
Old 2011-07-19, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I'd imagine DX10/11 honestly. With their feature set, from a programming perspective, I'm picturing bottlenecks in DX9 leading me to believe they'll not support or drop DX9 support quickly in order to make certain feature untoggleable.

Medium range DX10 card probably will be the minimum with a quad-core CPU and 4 GB of RAM with Windows 7.

What they'll tell people though on the package? DX9 with a dual core XP and 2 GB of RAM. It'll run horribly on low quality in battles and die when the fights get large.
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume when they mean "run on 4 - 5 year old gaming machines" they mean ~30 fps with everything turned to shit.
Old 2011-07-19, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Infektion
Sergeant Major

highly doubt a base quad will be needed for DX11, that's just ridiculous! 3.0+ Ghz Dualcore man, that's going to the the recommended... because if this game is optimized for dual core... MAYBE a tri-core, then my 4.0Ghz or 3.5Ghz Dualcore E8400 will be better than a 2.6 Quad logically using only 3 cores. Honestly How many games are truly even taking advantage of 3 or more cores? that being said, I highly doubt Planetside will be have that much CPU demand. I'm seeing more of a GPU demand with a relatively moderate CPU model and/or clocked chip. Think about it, a 4 year old system had Pentium D's and EARLY C2D for Intel and AMD had Athlon x2's like the 4600+-5500+. I remember buying an AMD Athlon x2 5000BE(2.6Ghz) chip in 2006. My brother is using that chip overclocked to 3Ghz and running strong after 5 years! That's what I used to play Planetside on, with an AGP HD3850 512MB getting 60-90 Frames per second. good times good times
Old 2011-07-19, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bags
Lieutenant General

I hope my GTX 460 will be good enough :x
Old 2011-07-19, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I hope my GTX 460 will be good enough :x
I'm sure it will, I'm actually thinking of buying a GTX 460 1GB... I was jsut about to get the galaxy super OC one for 160... and they sold out! I was fucking pissed. Which do you recommend? I'm stepping off the ATI(not AMD) train and this is going to be my first geforce since geforce MX440 from when I use to play tribes 2.
my cardline is as shows:
9600PRO(flashed to XT) 256MB -> X850PRO(pencil vmod and flashed to XT) 256MB -> HD1950 -> HD3850 512MB /END AGP
HD4850 512MB PCI-e. Now i'm looking at the Nvidia GTX460 (by the way, nvidia sounds like spanish for envious, food for thought)
Old 2011-07-19, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
I'm sure it will, I'm actually thinking of buying a GTX 460 1GB... I was jsut about to get the galaxy super OC one for 160... and they sold out! I was fucking pissed. Which do you recommend? I'm stepping off the ATI(not AMD) train and this is going to be my first geforce since geforce MX440 from when I use to play tribes 2.
my cardline is as shows:
9600PRO(flashed to XT) 256MB -> X850PRO(pencil vmod and flashed to XT) 256MB -> HD1950 -> HD3850 512MB /END AGP
HD4850 512MB PCI-e. Now i'm looking at the Nvidia GTX460 (by the way, nvidia sounds like spanish for envious, food for thought)
I got this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

But it's out of stock, the only other MSI 460 they have is this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127518

Which is slower and more expensive (mine comes in at $130 after MIR, this one is $150 after MIR) though I'm sure you can OC it up to the speeds on the one I got as they have the same cooling.

I've had it for a week and in my most graphic intensive game, Crysis, it doesn't go over 55 C under full load. Fans only get up to about 60%, and are just BARELY audible when there's no game noise. Idles at 40% fans 35 C. Great card, great value.

Oh, and I guess I should add that it gets good fps too . 30 - 40 everything on high in Crysis 1 with my old computer ([email protected], 2gb ram)

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-19 at 05:49 PM.
Old 2011-07-19, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

It's pretty speculative at the moment but if you have a pretty good computer you are playing modern games on now you should be more than fine.

I intend to build a couple badass computers for Jen and I in the next several months. I want to smash mine every time I use it

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion