My Galaxy Idea - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: where men wear thongs. And are proud of it.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-14, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

My Galaxy Idea

The Galaxy. Remove the ability to carry a vehicle (if it still can) and give it a deployable unit called a Deployable Spawn Unit - "DSU". The Gal would land and the unit would deploy out the rear. Would take 20-30 seconds to deploy. Once deployed, the DSU becomes a spawn point and the Galaxy can now take to flight to defend the DSU or fly away and make a drop. Seems since the Gal is armed, would be good use of it's armament vs. laying there like a wounded duck. The Gal could make a drop and return to the unit to pick up loads of trooper.

Something I suggested a couple of months ago. The Galaxy Thread made me dig it up.

Thoughts?

www.planetside-devildogs.com

Last edited by EVILPIG; 2012-04-30 at 02:53 PM.
Old 2012-03-14, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

Re: My Galaxy Idea

I like the idea. But if they would go through the trouble to make something like that, why not just put some wheels on it and call it an AMS? Would this thing be cloaked as well?

Bit off topic: Will the galls turrets be mannable when it's parked and spawning people? Or will it have a cloaking ability?
Old 2012-03-14, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by WiteBeam View Post
I like the idea. But if they would go through the trouble to make something like that, why not just put some wheels on it and call it an AMS? Would this thing be cloaked as well?

Bit off topic: Will the galls turrets be mannable when it's parked and spawning people? Or will it have a cloaking ability?
My belief is that the AMS was nixed because of the strength of AV vehicles. The speed and circumvention of terrain make the Gal-Spawn simply better. This allows for some tactics, such as flying in, dropping your spawn near an objective, then dropping the squad and trying to repeat as you reload at the DSU. If you lose the Gal, you can keep the DSU up, but spawning a new Gal would decon the DSU.

Spawn on Squad Leader, which I will dub "Drop on Squad Leader" from here on out really changes things. You don't need a spawn point, but a spawn point makes things much easier.

Old 2012-03-14, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by WiteBeam View Post
Sorry, forgot to answer. I would expect, yes.

Old 2012-03-14, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

Make it a possibility for the cert tree.
DSU would be cloaked but vulnerable.

NC Brig. General ಠ_ರೃ
Old 2012-03-14, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I believe the gals turrets will all be mannable when the vehicle is deployed on the ground. The idea being that instead of having hidden spawn points, have deployed, defensible spawn points.

I'm not adverse to the idea of also having a skill to drop a DSU, which would remove the spawn ability from the Gal until it is retrieved, and render the gal undeployable if it is destroyed. Maybe no cloaking bubble either.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-03-14, 09:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

A lot of good points made. I can see how the gall will makes things move much quicker than a ground spawn vehicle. And it will have limitless amounts of parking spots to choose from being able to fly and all.
Old 2012-03-14, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DaddyTickles
Sergeant

EvilPig, I like your idea. BUT I think Higby will look at the idea and think "no, it slows down play and adds complexity that our ideal BF3 target player would find off-putting".

I think all new ideas should be analysed through the prism of BF3 mechanisms. Unfortunately.
Old 2012-03-14, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

I like the idea, although i do see the "well at that point just bring back the ams" idea too.

And yeah the squad spawning focus is awful, really wish they'd stop bringin in these terribad bf3 aspects while removing all the PS stuff.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-03-15, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Questions.
1) Do we know if the SpawnGal will still transport troops, or is it a special configuration trade-off that had to be made?
2) IIR, Didn't Higby say they were going to add vehicles to the Gal? It just wan'n implemented yet.
Old 2012-03-15, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by MrSmegz View Post
Questions.
1) Do we know if the SpawnGal will still transport troops, or is it a special configuration trade-off that had to be made?
2) IIR, Didn't Higby say they were going to add vehicles to the Gal? It just wan'n implemented yet.
I don't think we've had concrete answers on either of those. My impression has been that spawning comes standard and doesn't impact troop carrying, but that could be wrong. On vehicle carrying I just don't know.
Old 2012-03-15, 06:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Full of Fail
Private

It would be a real shame if you couldn't transport vehicles with a galaxy. Hopefully lodestars or an equivalent type of aircraft make a return too.
Old 2012-03-15, 06:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
DaSwede
Contributor
Corporal

I am firmly onboard with the dsu idea but not only for troop respawn. This is especially critical for spec ops where sitting in a deployed Gal and gun will eat up personel you can't afford. And to be honest I rather drive the old AMS than sit in a Gal turret on the ground waiting to get pummeled by 150mm liberators.

The Gal concept should be expanded to allow ammo pods for troops/tanks which can be dropped close to the front line.

Anyone who has played PS1 knows how important supply lines are and how easily an offensive can be stopped when they get stretched.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 2012-03-15, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Monkey
Private

I can see GalSpawns just blowing up all the time. They are very big aircraft, easy to hit with AV on the ground let alone lock-on AA weapons.
Old 2012-03-15, 06:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Armour. 4 guns. Probably shields upon deploying.

They are not going to be the flying coffins of the past.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion