News: MMORPG Interview - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the most rejected quotes...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-10, 10:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Machine
Corporal

Re: MMORPG Interview

Dedicated gunner as a cert - pretty cool. Very pleased on how receptive to player desires the team has been. I want to try a bit of everything, cant wait for release.
Old 2012-04-10, 10:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Cool interview. Did anybody else notice the audio was backwards?
Old 2012-04-10, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Truemedic
Private

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
Cool interview. Did anybody else notice the audio was backwards?
Yup, it drove me nuts but It was worth it.
Old 2012-04-10, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Truemedic View Post
I confess, when I heard him say that they have 3D cockpits officially in, I giggled like a little girl and then again when he said they were really considering the option to have a separate driver and gunner.
He sounded quite serious when I chatted with him about it.
Old 2012-04-10, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

LOL...great news! Dedicated driver/gunner is a major possiblity, and data enhanced 3D cockpits.
Old 2012-04-10, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Yutty
Sergeant

umm whats 3D cockpits?
Old 2012-04-10, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Yutty View Post
umm whats 3D cockpits?
Traditionally cockpit views in games used to be prerendered 2D images of the control panel from the pilot's perspective. With 3D cockpits, the interior of the aircraft is modeled in 3D which allows the pilot to look around using the POV hats on their control sticks.
Old 2012-04-10, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

The "no shave 'til ship" plan seems to be going strong

Old 2012-04-11, 12:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

So this 3D rendered cockpit will give an advantage to joystick users? Well, I'm sure there will be keybinds you can use to look around as well.

I guess I'll have to give it a shot again. Haven't tried using a joystick since WWIIOL... Was kind of a PITA with the joystick and mouse fighting for space in the same spot on my desk though.
Old 2012-04-11, 04:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Heaven
Master Sergeant

The interviewer looks bored, and seems like an arrogant dick.
Old 2012-04-11, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
So you can't just pull unlimited vehicles after all? But wait...can resources be bought with station cash and if so, can that be used to render moot any loss of resources? Or are there any other ways to make it useless to take resources? ie, saving up for a rainy day, etc.

What info are you talking about making people happy? The secondary gunner?
Well, I'd always i9magined that there would be some limitation on tanks.

In ps1 you could only pull a tank from sanctuary or if you were on a continent if your empire owned a tech plant. So, if you didn't have a tech plant it became an objective to go get one. Similarly in ps2, if you can't get a tank because of lack of resources it becomes an objective to go get the resources.

And yea, the capability of dedicated driver/dedicated gunner is what was most interesting. A good tank team will murder solo driver/gunners.
Old 2012-04-11, 05:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Mechzz
Major

Good news indeed on the driver/gunner. We'll need to grin and bear driving/gunning until we cert up enough to use it. Who knows, maybe by then we will like driving and gunning? Not!

Interesting on 3D cockpit. Will need to try and find my old joystick under the bed somewhere.

Also good detail on resources. So Auraxium is the way you earn station cash in the game. (Eve has that system, yes?). And you can deny an enemy the ability to make something like a tank or fighter by sitting on "their" resources. I always assumed resources would piggy-bank for us, so we can still build scythes for a while after losing the resource fields that support it?

All sounds great! Want Beta, now!
Old 2012-04-11, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Shogun
Contributor
General

great interview!

the best part was, that it showed very clearly, that the devs in fact are listening to us!

platoons were confirmed to be out. we had a passionate multipage discussion about this and showed the devs why we think we need platoons. now platoons are confirmed to be back.

driver/gunner seperation was announced to be out, and we had discussions about this for months, showed the devs our views and possible solutions, and now matt talks about the solution that would make both sides happy.

and they don´t just react to every uproar, which is great. they closely observe our passionate discussions and seem to distill the best ideas that came up, to find a solution that will work for all target groups.
they could just have switched the tank model back to ps1 style to make us happy. but they had a reason to change it in the first place, so they needed a solution for the veterans/hardcore teamplayers that wouldn´t kill the tank fun for the casuals who are used to battlefield style 1 man tanks. and i think the solution mentioned in this interview would be perfect.

i wanted dedicated driver back very hard. but i am more than willing to cert for this luxury. i just hope you don´t have to sacrifice utility slots for your dedicated driver option, but the exact balancing will be taken care of when we happen to actually man those things .

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-04-11 at 06:58 AM.
Old 2012-04-11, 07:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
i wanted dedicated driver back very hard. but i am more than willing to cert for this luxury. i just hope you don´t have to sacrifice utility slots for your dedicated driver option, but the exact balancing will be taken care of when we happen to actually man those things .
He actually said dedicated gunner iirc. Would that make a difference?
Or does dedicated driver = dedicated gunner?
Old 2012-04-11, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Vancha
Colonel

I'm very happy to hear that they're doing some vehicle interiors, simply because it means there's less to do to put in boarding animations.

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
Or does dedicated driver = dedicated gunner?
Yup.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion