Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-06-14, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Build for friend

Ruh-roh.

The scary part is I've done like 3 - 4 myself over the last few months, even. I just suck at picking reasonably priced mobos in general so I come to you.

I've got 20 people or so in the stream group I run psyched for the game, and almost every one of them needs to upgrade.

Last edited by Bags; 2012-06-14 at 02:41 PM.
Old 2012-06-14, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I love doing the builds. Gives me something to do.
Old 2012-06-14, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Ailos
Contributor
Major

I keep coming back to find more of these threads, but each time Goku already puts his up, and I never come with anything different really so... yeah, lol.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-06-14, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
I keep coming back to find more of these threads, but each time Goku already puts his up, and I never come with anything different really so... yeah, lol.
CPU wise it sucks right now due to AMD not being a good option. Really its either the 2100, 3450, or 3570K depending on budget/need. GPU wise recently its just been the 670.

Maybe PD will offer something? I hope.
Old 2012-06-14, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Lol, yeah, if you look at the builds we've recommended in the last 2 months, almost all of them have 3570K or the 3450, and the GTX 670. Gaming machine-wise, that's pretty much the only way to go right now. All the other parts are pretty arbitrary, but very much dictated by those two, so naturally, all builds end up pretty much the same.

Maybe when more of the 600 line comes out, AMD finally puts their cards where they should be price-wise, and if PD is a little less of a flop than BD, we'll see some real competition.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-06-14, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

The only real shake up might be the 660 in lower cost builds or a massive AMD price cut.
Even then I still like nVidia because they're at a significantly lower TDP (670 takes 60 fewer watts than the 7970). It's a bit odd because they're both on TSMC's 28nm.

I fear for AMD if the 660 puts up as much of a fight at it's price as the 670 does.

Maybe AMD catches up with their new CPUs? But they're a node behind and Intel's got a whole new chip next year.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-06-14 at 06:31 PM.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

AMD is still having the prices too high on the 7800 series. No reason why they cannot drop the prices $50 on each of those and still make a good profit.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Bags
Lieutenant General

Oh yeah, you never answered; he doesn't need the 5.1 for headphones, right? that's just for surround sound yeah?
Old 2012-06-14, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Oh. No hes all set.
Old 2012-07-05, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
CrimsonRisk
Private

This is the first friend. I still haven't ordered parts, just got back from a trip. Hope to order very soon. I can bump up the budget more, to say 1.3k or maybe even 1.5k. I wanted a computer that would last me a long time without having to upgrade. I've never had a real beast machine before, kind of wanted to get one this time. I'll probably be using it for Photoshop and maybe even some Vegas from time to time, as well as lots of gaming. Should I spring for an i7 core? Someone told me that was the way to go. I'm reading about all the different parts now. Thanks for all the builds!

Also, I live in Colorado.

Last edited by CrimsonRisk; 2012-07-05 at 03:00 AM.
Old 2012-07-05, 03:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Vancha
Colonel

The only thing that'd benefit from an i7 would be Vegas, but as a "time to time" thing I doubt it'd be worth the extra money. I'd use the money to get an SSD (256GB Crucial m4 or 256GB Samsung 830), and a slightly nicer case.

Also, what's your definition of a "long time"? Nothing is future-proof.
Old 2012-07-05, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
CrimsonRisk
Private

As far as not needing to upgrade for future use goes, I would be happy if I could still comfortably play games that were released a year from now on decent settings. I've been using the same old 1.9ghz laptop with integrated video card and 32-bit Vista on 2gb RAM on it for 5 years now, and it can't even play Zombie Panic Source or League of Legends on minimum settings without choppy fps. This thing takes me a full fifteen seconds to save a .gif sometimes.

I'd love to have a CPU that could handle me running a ton of different programs at once no sweat, I like having lots of stuff open, including multiple IM services (Skype, Steam). I don't know much about desktop components as I haven't been keeping up with the technology. I feel like I would use Vegas more often if I could run it better! I have great interest in multimedia design type stuff, too bad it takes an hour to render a video.

Last edited by CrimsonRisk; 2012-07-05 at 06:33 AM.
Old 2012-07-05, 07:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Vancha
Colonel

Oh yeah, this should last you at least double that, probably more.

"I feel like I would use Vegas more if..." doesn't make me want to suggest the 3770 over the 3570. The difference between them is miniscule compared to the difference between what you're using and the i5. If you think you'll start rendering large videos multiple times a week, then the i7 might be worth it, but not if it means sacrificing anything else for it (like an SSD).
Old 2012-07-05, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
CrimsonRisk
Private

Question Re: Build for friend

So just getting an SSD will cause a bigger increase in performance than an i7? I thought I'd that SSDs are fragile/susceptible to failing. Is this true? Something to worry about? Do i5 cores handle running several CPU intensive programs at once well?

Last edited by CrimsonRisk; 2012-07-05 at 07:54 AM.
Old 2012-07-05, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Vancha
Colonel

An SSD is easily the most noticeable improvement you can make to a system, yes. I seem to remember there used to be issues with SSDs, but now they should be one of the most reliable parts of a system. That said, nothing is failure proof. Any component you order might turn up dead on arrival.

If you have enough things open to cause an i5 trouble, I doubt an i7 will give you much of a smoother experience.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum