Star Citizen Space Sim! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The only place your your PS:Next News!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2012-11-09, 04:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tsubaki
Private

Star Citizen Space Sim!

Official Chris Roberts Pitch Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhsgi...feature=relmfu

Additional Information from Reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...ing_commander/

For starters what is Star Citizen?

Core Concept
The core concept of Star Citizen is that it’s a destination, not a one-off story. It’s a complete universe where any number of stories can take place. Players will have the opportunity to decide their own game experience. Pick up jobs as a smuggler, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, or soldier. It’s a universe we’ve always wanted to create. We want to build a huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore that allows the players to explore in whatever capacity they want.

Squadron 42
The project also includes Squadron 42, a single player campaign that takes place within the Star Citizen universe. Able to be played off-line or with friends, you essentially sign up to fly for the UEE fleet, manning the front lines, protecting settlements from Vanduul warbands. If you prove yourself, you might get asked to join the legendary 42nd Squadron. Set up like the French Foreign Legion, they can always be found in the toughest war zones and always manage to come out on top. Once you complete your tour however, you re-enter the persistent Star Citizen universe with some money in your pocket and Citizenship to find your way.

Open World Architecture
The great thing about this is that you don’t have to do Squadron 42.

You can basically decide that you’re going to be a merchant or pirate and never join the military. Having that choice for the player is fantastic. What we’re talking about here is a combination of everything that made Wing Commander great along with everything that made Privateer great. The single-player military campaign sits inside this open world architecture in a holistic fashion.

While you will probably spend a majority of time in the cockpit there will be first-person mechanics built into the game. When you are flying on some of the bigger ships (transports, carriers, etc.), you will be able to wander the halls of the ship while a friend pilots, jump on a turret if you get attacked, even repel attempted boarders if needed.

Physics
One of the most exciting things is the capacity for true Newtonian physics. We have also designed the ships with a Fly-By-Wire system similar to an F35. In short, the computer will make the physical calculations in order to pull off what you want to do. The ship’s computer takes your input on the joystick, throttle and pedals, crunches it into the necessary vectors and velocities needed to achieve it then utilizes the appropriate thrusters and engine to execute it. The idea is that the ship’s computer is simplifying things because it’s just too complicated for you to figure it all out on your own. This means that the physics in the game are dynamic and procedural and not script or data-driven. It’s a full flight dynamic system that will work for bigger ship as well as the smaller ships.

Level of Detail
Being on a PC allows us to create the world in a greater level of detail and fidelity than we could on a console platform. We want it to be open and not be bound to legacy technology of consoles or their revenue models. For example, most AAA games use about 10,000 polygons for their lead characters. We are using over 100,000 polygons for ours, allowing you to see such details wires, the equipment, even creases in their clothing which all contributes to the immersion of the player. It also allows you to find the same level of detail carry over from a character (1.8meters in size) to a fighter (27 meters) even up to a carrier (1 kilometer in size.) All without a load screen or loss of visual fidelity.

Last edited by Tsubaki; 2012-11-09 at 08:51 AM.
Old 2012-11-16, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
bjorntju1
Captain

Thumbs up Re: Star Citizen Space Sim!

Yeah I already pledged for it! Looks fucking amazing. Imagine playing this game with an Oculus Rift

They also released the first concept art of a ship you get if you pledge $250:

I really dig how you can move about your ship (of course if it is big enough to have more than a cockpit :P ) You can also board enemy ships and engage in FPS mode.
Old 2012-11-17, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Star Citizen Space Sim!

Although it's going to be years before we even get to see the beta I am really excited to see a possible comeback of the space sim.
Pledged as soon as I could.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-11-17, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
GrmlZ
Corporal

Yeah, pledged right on the first day.
I loved the old spacesims, Wingcommander, freespace,starlancer and of course all the old X-wing games.
I am very excited about getting a new game of this genere.

Gameplay footage // Dogfight Montages // Outfit play ect
http://www.youtube.com/user/GrmlZGaming
Old 2012-11-19, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Deadite
Private

These guys just hit $6,000,000 crowd funding of which $35 is mine lol. Crazy amount of support, really encouraging to see there's still a huge demand for this type of game.
Old 2012-11-29, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
ARosaria
Private

I'm always broke when great things happen, I so want to pledge, but the money is needed for food.
Old 2012-11-29, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ARosaria View Post
I'm always broke when great things happen, I so want to pledge, but the money is needed for food.
Just do what I do, eat Ramen for a month. Not everyone survives, but what's the point of life if you won't have a chance to play what looks like a completely amazing game.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-11-29, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kipper
Captain

Don't forget the re-imagining of Elite; the game that started them all. It's due out in 2014 but also needs kickstarting.

Many maybe too young to remember the 1984 original, or the 1993 followup - but I humbly suggest you read up on them!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lite-dangerous
Old 2012-11-30, 06:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ARosaria
Private

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Just do what I do, eat Ramen for a month. Not everyone survives, but what's the point of life if you won't have a chance to play what looks like a completely amazing game.
If I did that the wife will kill me and cook me for diner for her and the kids. So as not to die I need to feed them and keep them full, preferable with healthy food.
Old 2013-04-30, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Morsong
Sergeant

Sorry to bump this thread but is anyone else excited for this? There hasn't been a good space sim or any actually in recent memory. If anyone can pull it off it's going to be Chris Roberts. They just unveiled the Aurora and it looks like a fun entry-level ship. I know it's a couple years down the road at least but I'm excited.
Old 2013-04-30, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I'm ecstatic about it. I've been looking for a great space sim ever since I stopped playing Starlancer

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-05-03, 02:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

So whats the difference between this and eve?

Or are they similar styled games?
Old 2013-05-08, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by krnasaur View Post

It's in the OP. Basically it's the physics used for flight control. I'm sure there's other aspects that are plenty different from the two but that's the main one I see.
Old 2013-06-27, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by krnasaur View Post

eve is a menu point and click game i think.

but star citizen will be a simulator! ever played wing commander or privateer?

the new website will be up tomorrow, and with it the very last chance to pledge and get ships with lifetime insurance! next week you will still be able to pledge, but you will not get eraly pledger advantages any more.

in related news, star citizen is the most successful crowd funding project of all times! they broke the record last weekend and are now at about 11 million dollars.

can´t wait to fly through the galaxy again, wing commander style!
hope the full hd occulus rift will be available at launch! because the rift will be fully supported. if you want to see some news about the game, tune in tomorrow in their 24 hour livestream on the new homepage.

EDIT: if you want to play star citizen, now is the last chance to get veteran pledge bonus like lifetime insurance for your ship! this will only be available till this saturday, so decide now, or regret later
to pledge for the game and secure your boni, go to https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2013-07-02 at 08:19 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion