PS1s 10 year Anniversary in regards to PS2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We have polls about polls!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-05, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zeta
Private

PS1s 10 year Anniversary in regards to PS2

This pertains to PS2. Many people have been wondering if PS1 is going to go free on the 10 year anniversary May 20th. I'm not sure it will, but the point is this... I'm wondering that if PS1 were to go free would it alleviate all this drama that is going on between the PS1 vs PS2 crowds? First of all, I see no reason why we can't have a community that is both PS1 AND PS2, but for some reason many people have been at each others throats. I'm afraid even people like Smedley have become pissed.

My thoughts are these; if PS1 players were able to have their game, then perhaps the PS2 community would finally be able to become its own. I've noticed that with most sequels, the gamers who prefer their older titles tend to stay with their games. Whereas with PS2 it's like trying to fit two halves into one game, and they aren't fitting.

PS2 would also forever gain the retort "Go play PS1... it's free!" and be able to hang that over any irritants head. That seems like a much more fitting endgame to all this. Especially if it could avoid a situation where if PS1 was shut down we might never be able to get rid of the grudge filled agitants hanging around PS2.

At the very least it would make officiating PS2 and PS1 conversations much easier if they were truly separate.
Old 2013-05-05, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

Re: PS1s 10 year Anniversary in regards to PS2

actually i disagree i think that the ps2 team is trying to progressively bring what we wanted from to ps1 while innovating in a positive way. i just think it's a question of time before ps2 becomes ps1 2.0 but right now we are in a transition phase .

Look at the new basses on PTS and the "rush lanes"; a lot of the vets are pleased by those changes.

"basti quote 2013 nothing to complain about" I'm sure the new mission system will help small outfits to find proper objectives for their size.

Tutorials, continents locks will come after hossin , a meaningful resource revamp, working warpgates , outfit progression .

tbh i doubted the ps2 team at the start but i feel like now since GU7 it is becoming a turning point of ps2 for the better
Old 2013-05-05, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Zeta
Private

Originally Posted by Phantomdestiny View Post
actually i disagree i think that the ps2 team is trying to progressively bring what we wanted from to ps1 while innovating in a positive way. i just think it's a question of time before ps2 becomes ps1 2.0 but right now we are in a transition phase .

Look at the new basses on PTS and the "rush lanes"; a lot of the vets are pleased by those changes.

"basti quote 2013 nothing to complain about" I'm sure the new mission system will help small outfits to find proper objectives for their size.

Tutorials, continents locks will come after hossin , a meaningful resource revamp, working warpgates , outfit progression .

tbh i doubted the ps2 team at the start but i feel like now since GU7 it is becoming a turning point of ps2 for the better
I have no problem if PS2 continues to impliment good things from PS1, as well as other brand new things of its own

I'm just curious about the community aspect of it. Since the haters would no longer have a place to bitch/hang around anymore, since they wouldn't be able to try and make PS2 into an exact copy anymore.

Last edited by Zeta; 2013-05-05 at 11:19 AM.
Old 2013-05-05, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

For planetside 2, complaining is an important element to the continued development of this game. Continue to complain brothers, be loud and be passionate.
Old 2013-05-05, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

they might stop bitching ? at least i hope . i love ps1 and i love ps2 . i really want ps2 to succeed but some people seem to be too stuck in their ways to understand that they game will not be a carbon copy of ps1 but it can have the good things from both .
Old 2013-05-05, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

actually i agree sledgecrushr but there is a difference between positive criticism by passionate complaining and complete bitching . (sanctuaries ? xD jk)
Old 2013-05-05, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Zeta
Private

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
For planetside 2, complaining is an important element to the continued development of this game. Continue to complain brothers, be loud and be passionate.
I hope you mean Critique. Critiquing is good. But complaining in the form of bitching/whining is not.

Originally Posted by Phantomdestiny View Post
they might stop bitching ? at least i hope . i love ps1 and i love ps2 . i really want ps2 to succeed but some people seem to be too stuck in their ways to understand that they game will not be a carbon copy of ps1 but it can have the good things from both .
It'll be a lot easier to call them out on it.
Old 2013-05-05, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
I'm just curious about the community aspect of it. Since the haters would no longer have a place to bitch/hang around anymore, since they wouldn't be able to try and make PS2 into an exact copy anymore.
I hope it goes free. Then those that whine can easily go play it instead of planetside 2. I actually wonder why they aren't playing it at the moment. Have the servers been taken down or something?
Old 2013-05-05, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Snydenthur View Post
I hope it goes free. Then those that whine can easily go play it instead of planetside 2. I actually wonder why they aren't playing it at the moment. Have the servers been taken down or something?
they are winning about the subscription fee being too high for the number of players playing it
Old 2013-05-05, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

It's a ghost town. If there was a decent pop, enough for a poplock on a given continent then I'd be paying $15 a month.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to get people to play if they've gotta pay. My hope is that it'll go free or rolled into the PS2 sub (or something to that effect) so that there's at least enough people to have a good time.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-05-05, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Figment
Lieutenant General

The reason we're "at each other's throats" is the continuous denegrating posts from PS2 fanboys since pre-alpha. Those people have been trying to put the word PS1 on a blacklist for referencing gameplay for well over a year and created a lot of fueds.

All in the name of "progression", even though it becomes more and more clear, the PS1 players were right with many PS1esque revisions making the game better...
Old 2013-05-05, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
That seems like a much more fitting endgame to all this. Especially if it could avoid a situation where if PS1 was shut down we might never be able to get rid of the grudge filled agitants hanging around PS2
For your information all of the "grudge filled agitants" including 95% of my PS1 outfit, packed up and left. The PS1 people who are left actually like this game and want to try and make it better.

However if any attempt is made to reference a worthwhile PS1 idea into make PS2 better, all they get from the anti-PS1 brigade is this:

So whos the agitants?

Last edited by Ruffdog; 2013-05-05 at 07:17 PM.
Old 2013-05-05, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Only thing I expect out of SOE is some in game homage to PS1. Old decals or graphics or something.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2013-05-05, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
Only thing I expect out of SOE is some in game homage to PS1. Old decals or graphics or something.
Release of classic armors pack ? One can hope.
Old 2013-05-05, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
The reason we're "at each other's throats" is the continuous denegrating posts from PS2 fanboys since pre-alpha. Those people have been trying to put the word PS1 on a blacklist for referencing gameplay for well over a year and created a lot of fueds.

All in the name of "progression", even though it becomes more and more clear, the PS1 players were right with many PS1esque revisions making the game better...
Lol, if there would be any cause for "at each other's throats", it would most likely be those few bitter PS1 vets (not you btw) poisoning this PS2 community since the beginning with their non-constructive rants and hatred.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion