idea for gals. cargo aircraft - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sometimes the best way out is in
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-12-31, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
RSphil
Contributor
Major

idea for gals. cargo aircraft

ok, i have an idea to make gals a little more widely used.

id like to make a cert option to make into basically c130 transport.

bare with me here. when fighting in the field i sometimes cant find engineers to drop me ammo or a resupply sundy for my tank. specially as sundys are bullet magnets and not all engineers have brains lol. i have had this problem a few times specially with tanks. driving away from the front line to re arm is a pain and also slows the push if a few of you have to bug out to re arm.

so a cargo gal could fly over and drop a resupply crate. it could have terminals on it like the sundy so you could resupply and swap class but not be used as a spawn unit. ( spawn crate with spawn tubes on could be a deep cert sink, not sure on that one )

you could also have them cert into vehicle resupply crate. drop a small version of the base ones.

this could either work via a single gal dropping both or make it 1 crate type per gal leaving room for troops for gal drop also.
i like 1 per gal as this would make outfits run small formations to drop crates off to allies on the or just behind the front lines.

what do you guys think. like it or hate it?

gives gals something to do thats useful and means a little more tactics can be used on assaults and even defense.
Old 2012-12-31, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Fear The Amish
First Sergeant

Re: idea for gals. cargo aircraft

i like the idea add it to the utility tree (which is rather bare for a gal) make it cut infantry down to like 6, and have it on a timer like flares and other options.
Old 2012-12-31, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
yozzer
Corporal

Great idea, just one thing about the vehicle drop suggestion, how do you unlock the vehicle to random player?
Old 2012-12-31, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I always through generator/SCU repair was silly and replacements should be airdropped in by galaxies coming from the gate. But then, I hated ANT runs. Man.
Old 2012-12-31, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
RSphil
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by yozzer View Post
Great idea, just one thing about the vehicle drop suggestion, how do you unlock the vehicle to random player?
not a vehicle drop ( though this has been suggested in other threads, could be used for outfits/squads as you could unlock for them )
i mean vehicle re arm crates.

ye a timer would be needed the crates could be on timers also like th esundy is when you get out of it. then gals could circle if safe or move off to safe distance and wait for a need to resupply some where else.

the pilot would be getting exp of course for each resupply of ruse of the crate.
Old 2012-12-31, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
thegreekboy
Master Sergeant

I had a couple ideas for utility slots for a gal

Gal-AMS: Just like in Beta. Land and deploy. Shield comes up and the gal can take a TON more damage. [1500 Certs][No Way to buy with SC]

Gal Gunship: Cert that moves guns to one side (except for tail and top gunner) and allows the equipping of 2 Daltons, however you can only carry 5 people (the pilot plus 4 gunners) and the speed and maneuverability of the gal takes a hit [750 Certs][No SC]

Stealth Gal: Invisibility. Lasts 30 seconds starting off reduces crew size to 6 but certs into it increases the invisibility time and number of seats. At the final level your gal can be invisible for a minute and can hold a full 12 man crew. [Start: 500 Certs] [End: 1000 Certs][5 Ranks]

Suicide Gal: Gal Explodes ultra-fiercely upon death. However, Health is reduced to that of a fully armored ESF. Also looks unique so it can be spotted from a long way off. [1500 Certs]

Smoke Gal: Drops Different Colored Smoke like bombs. You can choose what color (cannot be that of the enemy faction). Can be used in conjunction with some other abilities. Useful for obscuring the view of some areas and marking targets. More certing into it means MOAR SMOKE BOMBS. Start with 2. They are twice as big as a smoke grenade. Ending cert amount: 7 [Start: 50 Certs] End: [500 Certs] (Think about what you could do with this one. Mask whole armor columns, smoke out an entire tower, cover a back doors assault on a Tech Plant, Obscure the pads on a biolab, etc.) [Cannot be dropped in WarpGate]

Last edited by thegreekboy; 2012-12-31 at 12:17 PM.
Old 2012-12-31, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Blynd
First Sergeant

I think the gal-ams from beta was way op as it ment you hoped from base to base very quickly too quickly and if you had air support you were unstoppable. I think that's why they didn't put it in at release.

I love the idea of the drop crates of like to see an additional utility to up the numbers carried but also for there to be the ability to drop vehicles but only safe under xyz height that way its a risky manouver but the biggest thing you could put in would be a lightening it would also cost you 4 slots per vehicle. Id also like to see the gals turned into either true high altitude drop ships but only light assaults can drop from Max height heavys from half height else they die. This would allow more stealth drops once they figure away to allow us to deny benefits ie the old gen holds
Old 2012-12-31, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
thegreekboy
Master Sergeant

Oh, by the way I really do like the idea of a gal cargo drop.

Was the Gal-AMS OP? Yes, in a way. However, that's because any random pub could spawn one. You make it 1500 certs to get one and only the most dedicated pilots will have it. It's reallt very vulnerable if you look at it as a whole. You'd need to at least multiply its health by 5 times to make it even viable to use. Think about it. Its about as big as 3 sunderers side to side and 2 up and down.
Old 2012-12-31, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
SixShooter
Captain

I think it's a great idea with ammo drops having a finite number of resupplies available it could really keep some Gal pilots busy while giving them some good XP in the process. Also reduce the seats to gunner spots only for these loadouts. Add distinctive smoke to the drops that friend and foe can both see and make them destructable as well to add a different dynamic to the battlefield.

Old 2012-12-31, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
AThreatToYou
Major

/thread
Old 2012-12-31, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

Resupply crates are an excellent idea. I also liked the idea of dedicated gunships...although I have a feeling many would argue that with the Liberator, that niche is already filled and arguably, already too OP. But, I like the idea of it personally...be nice to have a friendly one overhead when trying to defend against a tank zerg.

My buddies and I have experiemnted with using a Gal to vertically envelop an objective, without much success. Am I missing something, or is it possible to drop more than LA?
Old 2012-12-31, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Brother, you can drop anything. The Gal's value is everyone gets a soft ride down, MAXes included.
Old 2012-12-31, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
SpunkyKuma
Private

I don't know why the Gal now doesn't have a cargo, we were able to carry bikes and Lightnings in PS1 gal and the Lodestar for carrying MBT or AMS.
Old 2012-12-31, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
Brother, you can drop anything. The Gal's value is everyone gets a soft ride down, MAXes included.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I once got jettisoned by a random pilot and he dropped us right on an objective. Then I tried it with some of my buddies later, and they all went splat. Is there a speed where it becomes unsafe, or something?
Old 2012-12-31, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by SpunkyKuma View Post
I don't know why the Gal now doesn't have a cargo, we were able to carry bikes and Lightnings in PS1 gal and the Lodestar for carrying MBT or AMS.
Seeing how much badd reaction GAMS got, don't expect gal transport to carry a SAMS.

Also:

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Meet the TURTOISE

VEHICLE NAME: Tortoise
VEHICLE TYPE: VTOL HLV
PRIMARY USAGE: Aerial Vehicle Transportation
SECONDARY USAGE: Aerial Troop Transportation
WEAPONRY: Tail Gun Emplacement (Co-Pilot)
OWNER: Nanite Systems Co.

1. Tortoise transport resembles Galaxy very much. Top view is almost identical to the well-known troop air transport. The tailgun is also present, meaning that the crew consists at least of 2 pilots. But this is where all similarities end. Unlike Galaxy, Tortoise is a helicopter-type VTOL vehicle with no XYZ axis movement restrictions. However on contra to its mate, Turtoise lacks speed and is hard to control due to heavy weight of its engines aswell as cargo.

2. Let's cut our HLV in a half. There we can see a magnet mechanism (cyan) that fixates vehicles. Due to magnetic distortions vehicle electronic systems are malfunctioning, hence the vehicle is in undrivable (and even dangerous) state and it is strongly recommended for crew to remain outside. That is why we see extra sits in the Tortoise's front. They are designed for vehicle's crew (lightblue), one of which as we can see is now waiting for a successful pickup.

3. Picking a vehicle up requires good reaction time and hovering skill from the pilot, but once successful, Tortoise can deliver the vehicle to the frontline. Unloading procedure is similar to the one mentioned above. However, if vehicle drop is required (due to circumstances that endanger vehicle and/or crew) crew can ask their pilot to release the magnetic field, dropping the cargo inside a kinetic bubble. To follow their vehicle, crew is allowed to eject and, when on the ground, mount the vehicle.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion