News: Game Update 04 Update from Higby - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Rejecting the quotes you thought were clever since 2002!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-01, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Game Update 04 Update from Higby

http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...pdate-2968.htm

Hey all!

We wanted to give you guys a preview of some things you can look forward to in GU04, which is tentatively scheduled for release next week, pending any issues discovered in testing of course. First though, I wanted to talk a bit about our current update schedule "cadence" so you all understand when you can expect the game to be updated.

We have three types of updates to live that we use; Game Update, Patch and Hotfix.
  • Game Updates come on a 2-week cadence, so every second week you should expect a major game update with new features, gameplay changes, items and bug fixes. Last week we released GU03, we expect to release GU04 next week.
  • Patches come in between Game Updates, they typically don't introduce new gameplay or features, but will usually contain bug fixes, balance changes, and new items. We won't always have one each week, these come as needed.
  • Hotfixes can come any day, and they're based on an urgent need to change a game balance issue or bug.
In general we try to release Game Updates and Patches early on Wednesday mornings (PST), but we sometimes need to hold back the updates for more QA time when issues are found.

Coming with GU04

Here's a preview of some of the features which are currently scheduled to be released with GU04 next week and the patch in the following week:
  • Flash update:
    • Wraith Module (Cloaking) for infiltrators using the Flash
    • Rumble seat - bring a passenger with you on your flash, they are weapons free in the passenger seat!
    • New weapon: Renegade shotgun
  • Account level unlocks
    • Items you've purchased with StationCash will be available to all characters on your account that are eligible to use that item.
    • Common pool items, such as the Zephyr or NS-11 will be available to all characters on your account.
    • Empire specific weapons such as the GD-22 and Lasher will be available to all characters of the required faction on your account.
    • We are working on a solution for those of you who have purchased the same item on multiple characters.
  • VR Training
    • A safe test zone where you can try each weapon and vehicle in the game with no resource cost or cooldown timers.
    • Target practice areas to learn weapon strengths and weaknesses at range, practice recoil patterns.
    • Driving/flying area to practice with vehicles.
    • Areas to practice team tactics, such as towers and small outposts.
    • No player stats are recorded in VR, so have fun!
  • New respawn & map screen
    • We've combined the respawn and map screen into one.
    • The new map screen has been cleaned up better use space.
    • Additional top requested features, such as friendly troop locations will be coming soon, but not with GU04.
  • Membership enhancements
    • We've increased the number of passive certifications for members and scaled the increase in cert points based on length of membership. The new cert point rates are as follows:
      • 1-mo. member - 24 passive cert points/day
      • 2-mo. member - 28.8 passive cert points/day
      • 3-mo. member - 33.6 passive cert points/day
      • 4-mo. member - 38.4 passive cert points/day
      • 5-mo. member - 43.2 passive cert points/day
      • 6-mo. + member - 48 passive cert points/day
  • Empire specific Rocket Launchers
    • VS - Lancer: an extremely precise, super-high-velocity, anti-vehicle energy weapon with a unique charge mechanic, the longer you charge the weapon the more damage it deals.
    • TR - Striker: launches a series of mid-damage guided missiles at a single target, the Striker's user must maintain the lock by keeping the enemy in the crosshairs while the missiles are tracking.
    • NC - Phoenix: A high damage, slow firing camera guided missile which must be guided by the Phoenix's user. The Phoenix is capable of dealing high damage with very little warning since there is no lock on.
    • These weapons will be released in the patch the week following GU04
  • Notable balance changes
    • Explosive radius from ALL vehicle based damage sources have been reduced, this does not affect vehicle vs vehicle direct hit damage, only splash damage vs infantry.
    • Prowler HEAT / HE rounds have had their damage reduced to no longer 1-shot kill infantry, killing a full health infantry will require both Prowler rounds to be fired. This does not affect vs. vehicle damage.
This is just a small preview of the main tentpole features for GU04, in addition to the above GU04 will contain a number of bug fixes and smaller balance tweaks, map changes to Indar, optimization and stability improvements.
I want to be absolutely clear that all of this is tentative, and until it's on the server it's not a guarantee! We want to keep you guys as up to date as possible with the current development, but it must come with the understanding that features slip & dates slip, and what we're giving you is our best possible projection of what and when.
As always, we're excited to hear your feedback, here, twitter, facebook and everywhere else.
Thanks!
-
mh

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-03-01 at 07:30 PM.
Old 2013-03-01, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Game Update 04 Update from Higby

Updated OP with entire post.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-01, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Xaine
Major

Rocket launchers look amazing. PS1 nostalgia yeah!

Also, good changes to the tank AOE splash.

Last edited by Xaine; 2013-03-01 at 07:30 PM.
Old 2013-03-01, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

For the sake of cadence I'll scrub that, nfi.
Stuff comes when stuff comes.

Last edited by DirtyBird; 2013-03-01 at 07:38 PM. Reason: cadence
Old 2013-03-01, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
camycamera
Major

YES! VR TRAINING! FINALLY!

and the rocket launchers:

VS Lancer seems similar to the spartan laser from Halo

the TR Striker seems similar to the rocket launcher from Half-Life

and the NC Phoenix seems similar to the TV missle from BF2, or the Redeemer from Unreal Tournament.

all awesome! and i cant wait to see the new spawn screen changes
Old 2013-03-01, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Looking forward to seeing the new missile launchers and it's good to see some steps into balancing the MBTs' ability to farm infantry. I also for once agree with their Prowler changes.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-03-01 at 07:38 PM.
Old 2013-03-01, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ghodere
Corporal

Phoenix has the potential to singlehandedly break the game. We must see the implementation.
Old 2013-03-01, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Tycho
Private

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post

and the rocket launchers:

and the NC Phoenix seems similar to the TV missle from BF2, or the Redeemer from Unreal Tournament.

all awesome! and i cant wait to see the new spawn screen changes
If you played PS1 then you would know that these are the exact same weapons from the original game. Only difference is that the TR have to maintain the lock.
Old 2013-03-01, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

looks like good stuff - except maybe the new shotgun.
Old 2013-03-01, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post

Or they're all from Planetside 1. :P
Old 2013-03-01, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
KaskaMatej
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Flash's Wraith Cloak Module!!! Fuck yea!!!
Old 2013-03-01, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Assist
Contributor
Major

"magrider movement improvements, as well as general torque increases for all MBTs will be in the next GU."

I believe it when I see it Higby! If you've proven one thing it's that your word means nothing when it comes to changes to the Magrider. /bait
Old 2013-03-01, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

bleh, skill-less, lame, and cheap camera guided weapons that add nothing but frustration to the victim rather than good back and forth combat that well designed weapons would bring to the game. Just what we dont need. Oh well, just one more to the long list of why i havent played in months.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2013-03-01, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Looks promising, if the low setting cloak bug is fixed as well might have to start logging in and playing again.
Old 2013-03-01, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Note that these from the original February Roadmap have been pushed back to another time.

• Improved Item Preview
  • Loadout Screen Revamp
  • Regional Empire Priority System
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion