Joining the PS2 Team - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wheres my 1 hit kill gun?? Jeez this game sucks!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-10-10, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Re: Joining the PS2 Team

Congratz.
Old 2012-10-10, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
AceofSpadesX
Private

Wink Re: Joining the PS2 Team

Congratulations Malorn! I have no requests due to not being in beta yet, so work harder on everyone else's requests!
Old 2012-10-10, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Jaybonaut View Post
Congrats on the position!

My question is a little more off topic:

Do you understand the hesitancy on adoption of Windows 8? There was a news bit that stated that there are 5 times less pre-orders than Win 7 had at the same time before launch. What are your comments regarding the OS? etc.
Microsoft is pushing mobile OS for the general consumer. More so then a desktop or server OS although Win8 works on desktops too. They are making a very large push on cloud based computing right now. It's all I hear from MS sales guys for the past year or so now.
Old 2012-10-10, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Malorn,

I've always been impressed with the quality of your posts, and I expressed my sentiment in the past.

I'm glad to hear you're joining the PS2 team! I used to be buddies with TSR-JoelS in PS1 and so I got to hear a lot about the work environment over there, and it sounded like fun. I've also had the privilege of meeting T-Ray and some other PS1 devs and they are definitely a talented bunch. I, along with the rest of the community, know that you will be a valuable addition to the team, and that's without any detailed knowledge of your software engineering skills.

My congratulations on this opportunity! I'm lucky in that my career is also my hobby, so I can understand how exciting this must be for you. In fact, if SOE is in need of an enterprise WAN data tech, you know who to call.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-10-10, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Drakkonan
Corporal

Game designer has always been a title that both intrigued, and confused me. I imagine it's different at every company, but what exactly does it entail? You mentioned base design. Will be using the in-house tools to design bases, or purely conveying your ideas to the artists to implement? Frankly, game design doesn't seem like a full time job, though I'm sure it is, so there's got to be something else to it. Designers don't just sit a table all day staring at maps thinking of ways to improve the game....so what else do they do?

I too am a software engineer, but never really had any interest in getting into game development. Though, if there was one job I think I'd really enjoy, it'd be in game design.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-10-10, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Jaybonaut View Post
Congrats on the position!

My question is a little more off topic:

Do you understand the hesitancy on adoption of Windows 8? There was a news bit that stated that there are 5 times less pre-orders than Win 7 had at the same time before launch. What are your comments regarding the OS? etc.
Thanks!

If there's less enthusiasm over Windows 8 (and I haven't seen anything to indicate that, but I haven't really been looking either), I would speculate the following

1) Windows 7 is rock solid, so there's no strong motivation for people to upgrade their existing PCs.

2) Windows 8 has the impression of a significant UI change (it was really only the Start menu and the Start button, both of which you rarely use in Desktop). People might be uneasy about it.

I've met some people who freaked out about it, but after personally using it for about the last two years you get used to it really fast, and if you miss the old start menu....

Pro Tip: Windows Key + X. On Windows 8 that brings up a quick menu of all the stuff that people commonly used the old start menu for, including console windows (and admin mode for them), explorer, control panel, etc. If you're using a desktop that will completely replace anything you used the old start menu for, and Start + typing stuff helps you find anything else rather quickly. It changes the way you use the PC a little but it really doesn't get in the way.

Most Windows sales come from new PCs, not upgrades, and historically the release of a new OS doesn't significantly impact purchase of new PCs. There are some great new form factors coming out for Windows 8 that I think people will like. Particularly I like the Slates that dock and become a thin notebook with the "base" being just a keyboard, a bigger battery, and peripheral hookups.

These are the type of devices that are awesome for windows 8
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...tible-tablets/

Laptop - slate, whatever need you have, and it's a fully operational PC, none of this paired-down OS modes. That's the great part of it. You have touch apps, and you can have fully powerful business and personal software on them. They don't have a lot to offer gaming, but I'm really looking forward to getting one of these PCs on Oct 26th.

Not sure whether I'm going to get one of these or a Surface. Hard to say. I like Surface but I think I might want a more resilient keyboard, so one of those Asus or Lenovos might be up my alley.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-10-10, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by JHendy View Post
Honestly, I just wish that you could have been a part of the PS2 team from the moment initial development was given the green light.

There is a mountain of stuff that needs to be gotten right. I get the feeling (I hope) that you'll be bold enough to make your voice the one that gets heard in the decision making process, because you seem to know precisely the direction the game needs to head in, in order for it to be deemed a worthy successor.
I'll do my best, but honestly there are some smart folks on the dev team. It's a big reason I wanted to join. If you look back at the way the game has developed over the last few months it has come a long way and I think it's been in the right direction at every turn. That isn't to say there is no work to be done...there's lots to be done, but its going in the right direction.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-10-10, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

While I've mostly responded to folks who asked questions, I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for the overwhelming positive feedback. It means a lot to me and is encouraging, thank you! I'll do my best not to disappoint and to be as open as I can.
Old 2012-10-11, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Jaybonaut
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
While I've mostly responded to folks who asked questions, I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for the overwhelming positive feedback. It means a lot to me and is encouraging, thank you! I'll do my best not to disappoint and to be as open as I can.
Thank you for answering my question. Next up: kick someone until they put autorun abilities in PS2.... pretty please!
Old 2012-10-11, 03:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Awesome, I always liked what you posted, I am sure you are the right guy for the job. Make us this awesome game you envision!
Old 2012-10-11, 07:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Bring the PlanetSide back to PlanetSide 2.

Old 2012-10-11, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Stanis
Master Sergeant

Congratulations.

Check nobody at SOE is related to Machiavelli. I assume that fairly soon your long and detailed public commentary will have to stop based on the devs CoC or NDA.
Old 2012-10-11, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Boomzor
Staff Sergeant

Ooooboy....

I hope you can carry the load

(and a big grats!)
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-10-11, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Stanis View Post
Congratulations.

Check nobody at SOE is related to Machiavelli. I assume that fairly soon your long and detailed public commentary will have to stop based on the devs CoC or NDA.
Yeah, safe assumption, though I think time will slow it down more than anything else.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-10-11, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Boomzor View Post
Ooooboy....

I hope you can carry the load

(and a big grats!)
Wow haha, I'll try my best to live up to the expectations!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion