PSU: Resistance is futile
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2013-10-22, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
GrindXP
Private

Adding Components To A Laptop

I have a Lenovo T520 that I bought a little over a year ago and wasn't playing any MMO games at that time. So, when deciding on which components I wanted, I opted to save money by getting the weaker processor, less ram, etc. So now that I am playing PS2, I can really see where my components are lacking for gaming (I play on the "Very Low" preset and get around 25 frames per second). My question is: can I add stuff to this laptop (mostly a new video card and maybe a better processor) and expect decent results? I know I am not going to play on ultra settings and get 120 frames per second. But, would it be possible to play on medium and get 60 frames per second? What components would you recommend?

I plan on building a gaming desktop PC in the near future (within a year certainly) with high quality components, but until then I would very much like to be able to play PS2 with a little bit higher quality settings and frame rate then I am currently getting. I do not have a couple thousand to spend on building the nice gaming desktop of my dreams so I am hoping that a couple hundred on a few components (and installation, cause I don't know anything about working on computers...yet) would do my laptop some good.

Thank you for all correspondence!
Old 2013-10-23, 12:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Adding Components To A Laptop

Originally Posted by GrindXP View Post
But, would it be possible to play on medium and get 60 frames per second? What components would you recommend?
That's not a gaming laptop. It doesn't have the right PSU for a high end gpu (nor would one fit, does it even have a GPU or is it integrated?). In the future if you want a gaming laptop look toward Clevo resellers. You'll need to wait then.

I do not have a couple thousand to spend on building the nice gaming desktop of my dreams.
You don't need thousands to build an awesome gaming rig. Here's a really good one just using newegg:

i7-4770 310 USD
670 GTX 2GB 335 USD
Gigabyte Motherboard 159 USD
Corsair 8 GB 1600MHz 85 USD
Corsair PSU 160 USD
Seagate 240 GB SSD 200 USD

That's the basics at around 1250 USD for playing on basically ultra settings. In a year those parts are going to be dirt cheap. That said you can save a lot by buying a cheaper PSU and not using a SSD. (I would strongly recommend one though simply to get rid of load times). You'll also need a computer case if you don't have one around. The instructions will tell you how the pieces fit together (they've made them fairly simple nowadays as long as you're careful).

Last edited by Sirisian; 2013-10-23 at 03:01 AM.
Old 2013-10-23, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
GrindXP
Private

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
That's not a gaming laptop. It doesn't have the right PSU for a high end gpu (nor would one fit, does it even have a GPU or is it integrated?). In the future if you want a gaming laptop...
I dont want a gaming laptop. This laptop is all I have right now, and I play PlanetSide a lot, so I was wondering if there was anything I could do to increase performance. BTW it has integrated graphics (Intel HD3000 iirc).

i7-4770 310 USD
670 GTX 2GB 335 USD
Gigabyte Motherboard 159 USD
Corsair 8 GB 1600MHz 85 USD
Corsair PSU 160 USD
Seagate 240 GB SSD 200 USD

That said you can save a lot by buying a cheaper PSU and not using a SSD. (I would strongly recommend one though simply to get rid of load times).
Thank you, that list gives me a good clear idea of what to get! Im glad it wont cost as much as I thought. I dont want to opt for cheaper parts, so Ill get the more expensive components this time.

One more question; do I have to choose between SSD and HDD? I think I would like the speed of the SSD but I have a 1TB sized HDD right now and wouldn't want anything smaller (for storage purposes). I was thinking of getting a 1 or 2TB HDD for this PC build.
Old 2013-10-23, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sirisian
Colonel

One more question; do I have to choose between SSD and HDD?
Yeah you can definitely use both a SSD and HDD together. When you install your OS put it on the SSD and install steam on the SSD. Use your HDD for your documents.
Old 2013-10-23, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
GrindXP
Private

Yeah you can definitely use both a SSD and HDD together. When you install your OS put it on the SSD and install steam on the SSD. Use your HDD for your documents.
Sweet! That sounds like the way to go for me.

I do video editing, I play with Photoshop, and I use Ableton Live to record/edit audio. There is no way I would be able to fit everything on a 250GB SSD lol.

Thank you for all of your input, you have been really helpful!
Old 2013-10-24, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ailos
Contributor
Major

The 670 on that list is outdated the 760 is the updated version and is $100 cheaper. More modern parts list for the same performance, lower price, and some other perks:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Syad
$1261 including your own copy of windows, faster memory, and 2TB for your music.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-10-24, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
The 670 on that list is outdated the 760 is the updated version
It's actually slightly slower. I wish Nvidia would name things sanely.

Good part list though. I'd listen to Ailos.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2013-10-24 at 01:55 PM.
Old 2013-10-27, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Save another ~$90 and get a i5 4670K instead, Hyperthreading (which the i7 add's) isn't really utilized in many games. Unless you are streaming or using content creation programs that make use of 8 threads, its not worth the extra cost.
Old 2013-10-29, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
GrindXP
Private

Originally Posted by MrSmegz View Post
Save another ~$90 and get a i5 4670K instead, Hyperthreading (which the i7 add's) isn't really utilized in many games. Unless you are streaming or using content creation programs that make use of 8 threads, its not worth the extra cost.
I do plan on streaming. The only reason I am not already streaming is because my components are not able to handle it.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum