PlanetSide Universe
PSU: There's No Place Like PSU There's No Place Like PSU
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-02-20, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
BigFreak
Sergeant Major

Hrm..well that didn't work :\ Few vehicles and infantry on the screen, and I'm down to 26 fps, 64.2 looking straight at the floor :/ I'm assuming something's really rather wrong..?

Thanks again for all the help btw guys
Old 2004-02-20, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
MidnightDave
Contributor
Master Sergeant

ok, now im having a moral delima lol

since im getting a brand new mobo anyway should I got pentium 3.2 ht? or the AMD 3200

im not talking the 64 bit on anything.
Old 2004-02-20, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

p4 3.2, IF you get 2 512 sticks of ddr400 to go with it.

for a mob get a p4p800-deluxe, it is acctualy better than the p4c800 if you turn on performance mode(its PAT but renamed)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-21, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
rogueleader
Private

Ok. I know for sure that I'm running on PCI mode. Is there any way for me to update my BIOS. Like I said before I'm not a genius with comps. I've looked up how to overclock my p4, but they say I need a whole new mobo, which I can't do.

And also what are these drivers you speak of. They sound rather important.

One last thing. I've been looking up RAM, but I don't know what one to get. Can someone tell me exactly which one I should get. My current RAM is somewhat below 400 and I would like to get it to 1 gb.

Last edited by rogueleader; 2004-02-21 at 10:05 AM.
Old 2004-02-21, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
MidnightDave
Contributor
Master Sergeant

I know I have a gig of ram, I just dont know what kind, is there any way to find out other than opening up my computer?

edti: oh and do you have a specific mobo to recommend, msi over asus etc?

Last edited by MidnightDave; 2004-02-21 at 11:15 AM.
Old 2004-02-21, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Midnight:
I'm not sure how you can find out what type of ram you have withough know what it was when you installed it.

rogue
You have a p3 correct? if you do you most likely have pc 133, or pc 100 ram. but i do not know if you could put a gb of ram in it. If you have a p3 you may want to look into getting a new system sometime in the near future.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-21, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
MidnightDave
Contributor
Master Sergeant

ya lol I think its 333 i suppose I could always go to pcclub to find out, they have that stuff on record.

and like i editied, do u have a specific recommendation for mobo. the one I have now is an msi which I like, ive had some not so good expereicnes with asus in teh past, im just tryin to be smart with this.
Old 2004-02-21, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
rogueleader
Private

Actually i've got a p4 cel. Any advice on that?
Old 2004-02-21, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

rogue:
ok nvm then to what i said ther are a bunch of people that all kinda don't know their specs. if you could find out what kind of Mobo you have i could tell you things to do.

Also what do you meen by 400, is that 400Mb or 400mhz?

Dave:
I would go with Asus right now they realy have some great quality boards out right now.

For Asus you can get a couple of board depending on waht you situation is.

If your gona get a P4(with a p4 its very advisable to get 2 stick of ddr400 ram, peferably 2 512 sticks):

You can go with the p4p800 Deluxe http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...d/overview.HTM
i have this and its Very nice, also with this board you can acctivate PAT sothing that should only be found on 875p chipsets.

or you can get the more expensive p4c800-E deluxe
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...d/overview.HTM

if your gona do an AMD Athlon go with the A7n8x-E Deluxe
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...d/overview.htm
Nforce 2 400 chipset is probably the best out there for Athlons.

note the Deluxe means they have added things like an integrated VIA IDE Raid controler. And they also are a bit higher quality compared to the non-deluxe ones(only about a 10$ premium for them)

Old 2004-02-21, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
BigFreak
Sergeant Major

My problems are continuing :'( gonna defrag tonight...can't see as it'd help much but yea, then all I can think of is formatting :\

Yea Edit: Here's some really bad quality jpgs of my dilema (I felt the quality of the picture was irrelevant to the point I was trying t make).

http://www.taylor-made.fsnet.co.uk/s...3-10-28-12.jpg Next to nothing going on, 25.9 FPS.

http://www.taylor-made.fsnet.co.uk/s...3-12-39-71.jpg Looking at the floor, 64.2 FPS.

http://www.taylor-made.fsnet.co.uk/s...3-12-50-93.jpg My settings.

Last edited by BigFreak; 2004-02-21 at 12:11 PM.
Old 2004-02-21, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
rogueleader
Private

i meant mb. sry bout that. I don't know the exact make of my mobo. It's whatever comes with the dell i got. I'll try and find out.

OK bottom line here. chances are I'm going to buy a new mobo. I've got to know whats better since they'res no going back after i buy. Would it be better to buy mobo that works with p4 cel and keep the p4. Or buy mobo that works with Athlon and buy and +2500 athlon. Either way I'm getting more RAM so what would be the better choice?

Last edited by rogueleader; 2004-02-21 at 12:20 PM.
Old 2004-02-21, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
MidnightDave
Contributor
Master Sergeant

ok, well thanks for all the advice and one final question

for this game should I believe the advertizing on the ps loadscreens? or go with amd
Old 2004-02-21, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Bigfreak: turn medium textures off that will help, its very hard to say say whats wrong with it, Esspecialy because i can't see whats going on in realy time, if you have any tech smart friends, get them to come over and take a look at it.

Rogue: you best off calling **** and asking them about your specs and upgrades.
EDIT again, for you, if your gona get a new mobo for an athnol 2500+ (batron i hope) get the asus board i posted above.

It relay come down to how much money you can spend, if you can afford a high end 3.2ghz P4 with ddr400 for i go that route, if not the 2500+ barton is a very nice OCer and you could have 3000+ performance with it.

EDIT:
Dave:
No you should not belive the screens but i can tell you that a 3.2 ghz p4 is probably the best your gona get in this game for a reasonable price.
Also ATI makes far better graphix cards right now for DX9 things, and PS is belive it or not, partly DX9

Last edited by Rbstr; 2004-02-21 at 12:25 PM.
Old 2004-02-21, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
rogueleader
Private

It would certainly be cheaper for me just to buy a mobo that works with my current p4 cel. Please tell me if that's a good choice.
Old 2004-02-21, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

well for a 2500+ and Mobo, and Memory your looking at 300 or so.

a celeron realy isn't a very good processor, and you would be much happier with a 2500+ barton, but if you want to keep the Cel go for the P4p800 deluxe above

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum