Scale of Map compared - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of Mahhhsmahhn
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-07, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Krishtov
Private

Scale of Map compared

EDIT: To make it clear for people coming to this thread... I believe PS2 has larger maps, bigger scale, and thus BETTER... I am not saying otherwise.

I did this just cause... Indar's map from stream last night with Oshur 4km square pic found elsewhere on forum.

I sized it so the road sizes were the same - incidently, the Gates were the same size too... which means roughly, same scale unless both roads and gates were dropped together at the same %!

So... Indar is larger than old Oshur map, physical wise.

Last edited by Krishtov; 2012-06-07 at 06:43 PM.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: Scale of Map compared

It's a rough and dirty comparison, but it sounds about right. Basically, the maps are huge. That's all we really have to know. The maps are huge.

Old 2012-06-07, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Previously I estimated my own comparison. It may be off, but I did my best.

I based mine on the size I know facilities were in PS1, vs how large I know they are from the PS2 footage. From what I can tell, the AMP Station in PS2 is about 4x the size of the AMP Station in PS1, approximately. So I this is roughly based on that. You can see a PS1 AMP station and a PS2 AMP station pretty close to each other on the middle rightmost portion of the image.

Old 2012-06-07, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

I would describe PS2's maps as smaller, but much more detailed than PS1's.
Old 2012-06-07, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Krishtov
Private

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
I would describe PS2's maps as smaller, but much more detailed than PS1's.
As an artist, I would say the maps are same size or larger... they look smaller because the buildings are much larger now. Even the towers are huge compared to the old ones.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I'm still not impressed with the size of the maps. The AMP station we see is big yes, but it also take sup a significant chunk of the playable part of Indar and only takes a few seconds to fly across the map.

So yeah it's huge compared to a normal FPS map, but it still feels like the indar Amp station is roughly 1/5 of the map, which makes it feel small. It's clearly one of the larger bases, as the bio labs look much smaller area-wise.

From that it feels practically the same size as Old Oshur.
Old 2012-06-07, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
So yeah it's huge compared to a normal FPS map, but it still feels like the indar Amp station is roughly 1/5 of the map, which makes it feel small. It's clearly one of the larger bases, as the bio labs look much smaller area-wise.

From that it feels practically the same size as Old Oshur.
Whoa. It is waayyyyy less than 20% of the map.

Old 2012-06-07, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
ringring
Contributor
General

Surely the key is travel time? How long does it take an aircraft/tank to go East-West and North South?

The new continent is larger but the mossie (as an example) is also faster.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Not really, the demo area is actually quite big. The bio lab next to it is much smaller. and that amp station's surrounding area in the demo is a good chunk of bottom-right part of the map.

If you look strictly at the central facility itself, yeah that' snot big, but the facility is sprawled out and takes up a lot of land.
Old 2012-06-07, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Krishtov
Private

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Whoa. It is waayyyyy less than 20% of the map.

This was where they were fighting yesterday if I recall correctly....so yeah WAY less than 20%
Old 2012-06-07, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Why is this so difficult? They told us the new maps are build on an 8km X 8km area. So all we need to do is figure out how big one sector is in PS1 and scale it. I agree with prior popular opinion that Indar is about the same size as the PS1 home conts (Amerish, Ceryshen..etc), and smaller than Cyssor.
Old 2012-06-07, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Krishtov
Private

Why is this so difficult? They told us the new maps are build on an 8km X 8km area. So all we need to do is figure out how big one sector is in PS1 and scale it. I agree with prior popular opinion that Indar is about the same size as the PS1 home conts (Amerish, Ceryshen..etc), and smaller than Cyssor.
I didn't mean to make this thread to bring doubt to that. I was simply putting a visual comparison up...sorry if it came across that way.
Old 2012-06-07, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Xaine
Major

As has been mentioned, its pretty hard to compare given the scale difference, move-speed difference etc etc
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

PS did have a range indicator, so it seems reasonable for anyone willing to do the measurements could stand at sector positions and use the in-game rangefinder to determine exact distances of the edges and scale it out to do a continent comparison.
Old 2012-06-07, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
PS did have a range indicator, so it seems reasonable for anyone willing to do the measurements could stand at sector positions and use the in-game rangefinder to determine exact distances of the edges and scale it out to do a continent comparison.
Except, the range indicator in Planetside 1 was highly suspect, IMO. Either that, or Auraxian-bred humans are like 3 meters tall.

What you really need to do is kill a couple dozen people in a big line head to foot, and then use the range indicator between two guys at either end of the line to calibrate, first.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion