Planetside 2 for Linux? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is just a test.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-02, 06:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bonius
Sergeant

Re: Planetside 2 for Linux?

Originally Posted by Stormhall View Post
No I want to run a tripe A, frame rate heavy FPS game on a 5 year old Laptop and run it with Lubuntu after the HDD gets replaced and also WINE is an emulator the "E" for WINE means emulator and you don't need WINE for any of the Quake Games (apart from 1) and you only need WINE for Unreal Tournament 3. And you didn't read my host comment (host comment being the comment that starts the thread) because I said my 3 year old Desktop is running Windows 7.
Answers in short:

Will it install? Doubtful
Will it run? Highly doubtful
Will it be playable? No

If you somehow manage to play the game with or without an unsupported emulator, in an unsupported OS, with hardware specs that are probably below the requirements for a modern OS, I will take my hat off for you.
Old 2012-04-02, 07:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Stormhall

Originally Posted by Bonius View Post
Answers in short:

Will it install? Doubtful
Will it run? Highly doubtful
Will it be playable? No

If you somehow manage to play the game with or without an unsupported emulator, in an unsupported OS, with hardware specs that are probably below the requirements for a modern OS, I will take my hat off for you.
Well after I get my HDD replaced I will replace my 1.8ghz processor and add 4 more GB of RAM making it 6GB RAM and the Linux communities always come up with something.
Old 2012-04-02, 07:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Bonius
Sergeant

Well after I get my HDD replaced I will replace my 1.8ghz processor and add 4 more GB of RAM making it 6GB RAM and the Linux communities always come up with something.
I wish you good luck in your project, but take my word for it when I say: It won't work.

(Post your specs and I will tell you why)
Old 2012-04-02, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Its called Wine, but it wont be fun.

Simply get yourself Windows for gaming.
Old 2012-04-02, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

SOE tends to stick to their guns from game to game (at least in the near term), so if their last dozen games haven't supported Linux, unfortunately I don't expect PS2 to, either.
Old 2012-04-02, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Infektion
Sergeant Major

WINE!!!! but it'll probably run like crap. Why would you want to play PS2 on Linux? Chances are... you Dual boot to windows anyways.
Old 2012-04-03, 06:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

No I want to run a tripe A, frame rate heavy FPS game on a 5 year old Laptop and run it with Lubuntu after the HDD gets replaced and also WINE is an emulator the "E" for WINE means emulator and you don't need WINE for any of the Quake Games (apart from 1) and you only need WINE for Unreal Tournament 3. And you didn't read my host comment (host comment being the comment that starts the thread) because I said my 3 year old Desktop is running Windows 7.
I've used WINE a couple of times with varying degrees of success. You are correct, it originally stood for WINdows Emulator when the project started out as thats what it attempted to do, emulate the windows OS at a software level. But software emulation is very costly, so it quickly turned into an exercise in building an abstraction layer than could translate the calls applications make into the windows operating systems that are commonly used so they do roughly the same thing in a UNIX environment. It was decided (for copyright reasons as well as semantic ones) to change the meaning of the acronym from the above to simply stand for Wine Is Not an Emulator, as an abstraction layer.. or more accurately a software compatibility layer it traded performance for compatibility problems which was a wise trade off.

back to your point, running PS2 on a 5 year old laptop sounds like an even worse idea... What are you going to use it for? sitting on your desk logged on to another empire to spy on the opposition? You wont be able to actually use it for playing if it runs at all...
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-03, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

... and also WINE is an emulator the "E" for WINE means emulator and ...
Actually, WINE is really a recursive acronym [ (W)ine (I)s (N)ot an (E)mulator ], and the code is not an emulator. It's a set of libraries (.DLL's in MS Windows terms) that intercept calls and replace them with the Linux equivalents while running. It's more like a MOD for windows .EXE's. If you're running on an Intel platform there is no emulation going on.
Old 2012-04-03, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
RNFB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
Actually, WINE is really a recursive acronym [ (W)ine (I)s (N)ot an (E)mulator ], and the code is not an emulator. It's a set of libraries (.DLL's in MS Windows terms) that intercept calls and replace them with the Linux equivalents while running. It's more like a MOD for windows .EXE's. If you're running on an Intel platform there is no emulation going on.
What you described is exactly what an emulator is
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-03, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In computing, an emulator is hardware or software or both that duplicates (or emulates) the functions of a first computer system (the guest) in a different second computer system (the host), so that the emulated behavior closely resembles the behavior of the real system. This focus on exact reproduction of behavior is in contrast to some other forms of computer simulation, in which an abstract model of a system is being simulated. For example, a computer simulation of a hurricane or a chemical reaction is not emulation.
I'm asserting that WINE is a translator, not an emulator. If you don't understand a language (i.e. German) you get a translator. This is the case with Windows v. Linux. The hardware can be exactly the same, thus not really emulating anything.

If you want to run Windows 3.11 software (Minesweeper!) on your Windows 7 system, you run in compatability mode - which translates the Windows 3.11 calls into Windows 7 calls. You're still using a graphics card that Windows nativity understands, along with Mouse, Keyboard, Disk Drive, etc.
Old 2012-04-03, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Shanesan
Sergeant

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
I'm asserting that WINE is a translator, not an emulator. If you don't understand a language (i.e. German) you get a translator. This is the case with Windows v. Linux. The hardware can be exactly the same, thus not really emulating anything.

If you want to run Windows 3.11 software (Minesweeper!) on your Windows 7 system, you run in compatability mode - which translates the Windows 3.11 calls into Windows 7 calls. You're still using a graphics card that Windows nativity understands, along with Mouse, Keyboard, Disk Drive, etc.
CyclesMcHurtz pulls out the big guns. Well done. At the least, we know that you know your stuff.
Old 2012-04-03, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
CyclesMcHurtz pulls out the big guns.
The Cyclers to be exact!
Old 2012-04-03, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Infektion
Sergeant Major

If you use linux and think wine is an emulator, stop using linux right now, because you just sounds like a tard. Wine uses actual windows API in a nonwindows system, Emulator = virtualization. Emulators are slow. Like I said, if you use Linux, chances are you already have another environment using windows natively, so why is this even a thread? Powerusers stay in linux, and any unix environment shall remain as such. Windows = gaming, Unix-like = everything else.... except for M$ office apps :P They are crappy in OS X anyways, and FYI: OS X is technically dumb down linux/unix for the pretentious bourgeois moron.

Last edited by Infektion; 2012-04-03 at 10:20 PM.
Old 2012-04-04, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Hermes
Contributor
Master Sergeant

It's a common misunderstanding and one of my favourite amusing observations considering the acronym.

But the heart and soul of the linux experience for most people is exploring and experimenting. It's exciting being off the beaten path, and mistakes are the learning process

Which is why this:
Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
If you use linux and think wine is an emulator, stop using linux right now, because you just sounds like a tard.
...is complete bollocks.

No personal offense intended Infektion.

Old 2012-04-06, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
LayZ
Private

Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
If you use linux and think wine is an emulator, stop using linux right now, because you just sounds like a tard. Wine uses actual windows API in a nonwindows system, Emulator = virtualization. Emulators are slow. Like I said, if you use Linux, chances are you already have another environment using windows natively, so why is this even a thread? Powerusers stay in linux, and any unix environment shall remain as such. Windows = gaming, Unix-like = everything else.... except for M$ office apps :P They are crappy in OS X anyways, and FYI: OS X is technically dumb down linux/unix for the pretentious bourgeois moron.
Virtualization is not emulation. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Like CyclesMcHurtz says, there is no changing of code for the underlying hardware to understand, therefore a hypervisor does not emulate any code. WINE just provides the DLLs to Windows executables will run, a hypervisor runs between the OS and hardware and controlls what VM gets what resources on a host. Neither does any translation because its all x86 code.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum