The only thing that will destroy planetside 2. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sex is not dirty, unless that is, its done right.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-09, 02:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Pella
Captain

The only thing that will destroy planetside 2.

Hackers.

Being a FTP Game, And the amount of players that will be playing, Planetside will be a prime target by hacking programmers trying to sell there undetected hacks on a monthly subscription which its going to happen.

You only have to look at what happened to APB which was a a brilliant concept full of fun and packed with players, until hackers completely destroyed it.

I would like to hear what SOE have up there sleeves as if they dont get on top of this before launch the game will hit a wall.

From my understanding PS2 will be using the latest Punk buster. Along with CSM online at all times. My question is to SOE, how is a CSM suppose to spot hackers. And if they do what will happen?

SOE Need put there foot down from the start with Perma Bans. Check Anaconda Catalogue and Best and less Catalogue.

Im justs curious on how things will work in PS2. As with anyone here, Soon as there's an influx with hackers il be on my bike.

-Pella

Last edited by Pella; 2012-06-09 at 02:20 AM.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
The Kush
Captain

Re: The only thing that will destroy planetside 2.

Agreed 100%. Hacking can not be tolerated.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Vetto
Staff Sergeant

This is a double blade sword, if it 100% with out a doubt hacking then yes PERMA ban on the spot... but a lot of people who get sore over losing may report some one for hacking just out of spite and put people account on temp lock down as they look into it.

They need to be Vigilant but not oppressive.

-Is aware of the irony of that last statement coming from a TR player-.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Report, report, report. They will supposedly have a 24/7 ninja crew that is going to be booting hackers and cheaters rapidly.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Razicator
First Sergeant

Only way to stop hackers is to tip the effort:reward scale too much into the effort section. Hardware bans, IP bans, account bans, none of these will deter a hacker permanently, but make the process to fix the bans require effort, and you deter 99% of the hackers. An extreme case would be something like requiring cellphone verification, not just email, for each account you make with a text, like Facebook. For some reason Google Voice text does not work with Facebook text verifications (I tried making some accounts for the PS2 app lol), so use whatever they're doing for PS2.

As for the 1% that just get off on ruining shit for others; that just requires a good anti-hack system as well as attentive moderators and an easy way to report obvious hackers. Possibly a /report X function where over ~20 reports in a day would automatically put an account on a watch list or something.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

I can only imagine them sneaking around like shadows and illusions.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by Razicator View Post
Only way to stop hackers is to tip the effort:reward scale too much into the effort section. Hardware bans, IP bans, account bans, none of these will deter a hacker permanently, but make the process to fix the bans require effort, and you deter 99% of the hackers. An extreme case would be something like requiring cellphone verification, not just email, for each account you make with a text, like Facebook. For some reason Google Voice text does not work with Facebook text verifications (I tried making some accounts for the PS2 app lol), so use whatever they're doing for PS2.

As for the 1% that just get off on ruining shit for others; that just requires a good anti-hack system as well as attentive moderators and an easy way to report obvious hackers. Possibly a /report X function where over ~20 reports in a day would automatically put an account on a watch list or something.
Seems like a solid idea. SOE needs x2 CSMs on 12 hour shifts which isnt going to cost SOE allot of money. Compared to what they could loose and gain in the long run.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

As far as I can tell there's no anti cheating software that is "working as intended". Unless they have something new... But, the sad truth about these things is that, the more secure they are, the more intrusive they are. They cause all kinds of other problems, and if you have your own firewall or anti virus software running, they will almost always cause trouble for one another, resulting in a PC crash. Apart from actual people dedicated to stomping out hackers, the only thing I think will work is to have hit detection etc. server side, and not client side. I don't know how well this will work with the massive scale and number of people on one server... could bring latency problems for everyone.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Vetto View Post
This is a double blade sword, if it 100% with out a doubt hacking then yes PERMA ban on the spot... but a lot of people who get sore over losing may report some one for hacking just out of spite and put people account on temp lock down as they look into it.

They need to be Vigilant but not oppressive.

-Is aware of the irony of that last statement coming from a TR player-.
Not immediately. Ban them after a randomly selected timespan, like a few days, to make it harder to experiment with what they can get away with
Old 2012-06-09, 02:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Zekeen
Major

Higby has stated a couple of plans they have to stop hackers and cheaters. They have special software that will show if a person is gaining too much or doing to well to be physically possible. They then have 24/7 "game admin" who will be watching over the game and take a look whenever the software says that a cheater has begun some less than legal activities. If they see he is indeed cheating, the wipe his existence out of PS2.

But they have "layers" of anti hacking protection planned.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

And they won't tell us about the layers, which is a GOOD thing.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
Hackers.

Being a FTP Game, And the amount of players that will be playing, Planetside will be a prime target by hacking programmers trying to sell there undetected hacks on a monthly subscription which its going to happen.

You only have to look at what happened to APB which was a a brilliant concept full of fun and packed with players, until hackers completely destroyed it.

I would like to hear what SOE have up there sleeves as if they dont get on top of this before launch the game will hit a wall.

From my understanding PS2 will be using the latest Punk buster. Along with CSM online at all times. My question is to SOE, how is a CSM suppose to spot hackers. And if they do what will happen?

SOE Need put there foot down from the start with Perma Bans.

Im justs curious on how things will work in PS2. As with anyone here, Soon as there's an influx with hackers il be on my bike.

-Pella
Two major reasons they won't tell anyone what they're doing: Its a cat and mouse game, telling people openly anything other than immediate permabans will be handed out for hacking compromises anything they might be planning on. Secondly, you need to understand they require a level of secrecy to protect their methods from being circumvented or sidestepped entirely. All I'm going to say is that the F2P model is flawed in that it allows for potentially infinite account creations.

I am personally aware of how this might be taken care of, but the method I'm thinking of is actually pretty complex and is somewhat easily sidestepped itself in comparison to its use in other areas of gaming. There are two or three very prominent instances where a similar method has been used and revealed to the world, both in gaming and in other industries. Its flawed but generally works, if you don't mind simply carpet bombing mass selections of targets as it were.

You'll just have to wait and see, as will everyone.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-06-09 at 02:46 AM.
Old 2012-06-09, 03:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Winfernal
Staff Sergeant

The only thing that could destroy planetside 2.*

We don't know how effective their anti-cheat systems are yet. I'm hoping for hacking to be an minor, or non-existant issue.
Old 2012-06-09, 06:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Razicator View Post
Only way to stop hackers is to tip the effort:reward scale too much into the effort section. Hardware bans, IP bans, account bans, none of these will deter a hacker permanently, but make the process to fix the bans require effort.
The problems isnt having a single hackers out ther with a mass murder easily detectable !

We must make exemple of hacckers banned on everyway most people ip , using proxy for video games sucks also hardware banned mac adress etc...

yeah this will maybe not stop the most advanced hackers but it will stop most Noobs who pay for hacking programs to be tented to use them and pay for those thats the important thing

Having one or few hackers in battlefield was a joke and not so bad but having them everytimes seen them mutiply by 10 by 100 their you start to have a real problem hackers and aimbot users must be stop and banned because they ruined the game !

play fair and everything will be ok thats my point !
Old 2012-06-09, 06:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
ringring
Contributor
General

The other thing is boosting. Example 2 TR + 2 NC in a quiet corner repeating killing and reviving.

Matt Higby said they're aware of it and the game mods will be on the look out for it. I am not sure this will be enough, it wasn't a problem in PS1 because the amount of xp you gained from a recently revived person wasn't enough to make the pratcie worthwhile.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion