PS2 Gaming Rig - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: please allow 3-5 days for shipment of pwnage.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2011-12-21, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
inigma
Sergeant

Re: PS2 Gaming Rig

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
I would like to see someone engineer a pancake version of the best components and make a "Slabtop" computer, basically full-speed, full-size components, all arranged in as thin an array as possible, with flip-up screen.

It could be briefcase-mounted, so it was possible to carry by just shutting it like a briefcase.

With carbon fiber components (conductive) instead of steel or aluminum, it could be fairly light.

The briefcase gaming workstation. Some would, of course, prefer the "Samsonite" sized model.
Hah. I'd like to see an led lit briefcase...
Old 2011-12-22, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
inigma
Sergeant

updated BD-R from LG to Pioneer based on feedback at another site (LG is subject to throttling due to lock guard).

Added $100 to my budget (holiday money).

Changed out memory to Corsair supported memory with mobo. same speed and size.

The beta signup is available at planetside2.com, which is a trigger point for me. I want to have a build ready in time to download the beta and play on the first day. I'm finalizing compatibility across all parts, and searching for vendors, although the bulk will be newegg. I also know the ASRock mobo only has 1 yr warranty, but I believe purchasing an extended 1 yr on top of that for only $14 is worth it.

Last edited by inigma; 2011-12-22 at 10:20 AM.
Old 2011-12-22, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Vancha
Colonel

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/

Might make you reconsider the 580...
Old 2011-12-22, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SKYeXile
Major General

i think ill be on that ATI boat, maybe when windows 8 comes out.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2011-12-23, 12:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
inigma
Sergeant

I figured the bump on the 580 to 3GB would still match or nearly match the new HD 7970. At $50 cheaper it sounds neat, but it wont arrive until mid January. Besides, being a pcie 3.0 card and the first of its kind, and a first of its generation, I don't trust a new build to it entirely yet. Also with the beta sign ups starting today, beta is probably next month too, and I thinking it's nearly time to build. I bought my cpu today.

I also switched out the 2TB Seagate for a 120GB SSD for two reasons:

1. seagate sucks. really it does. I've had a Maxtor and WD drive last me 10 years on my old rig. A seagate I had lasted only 3 years.

2. in a weird turn of events, it actually makes more sense now to buy ssds and wait until hdd prices go down to buy a new hdd, instead of the other way around. the flood in thailand that wiped out a good portion of the world's supply of internal hdds has nearly caused the prices of hdds to double. Granted the price per MB doesn't yet overshadow the price per MB of an hdd - but SSDs are way faster, and today's SSDs last just as long as hdds (more than 10 years which is my target). its a mixed blessing - i get an ssd sooner than i wanted, but i suffer on storage space. I do plan to eventually get a storage drive, but doesn't everyone? The 120 GB will last me until hdd prices start going down in 2013. In the meantime, I can hook up an external hdd for the same price as an internal (since apparently only internal hdd prices are affected by thailand flood), or even just buy a cheap ide/sata adapter around $20 and hook up my old drives until then!

So with the updated change from a 2TB hdd to a 120GB ssd, it actually knocks $10 off the totals.

Last edited by inigma; 2011-12-23 at 12:25 AM.
Old 2011-12-23, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Coreldan
Colonel

This is sort of a random statement, but I bought this "custom pre-built" rig from Novatech with AMD+ATI setup and it runs every game I try to play with no issues. Naturally the 5770 is limited in what it can do, but I get expectable frame rates everywhere and Ive had zero issues with it.

Then I see lots of people who use double the money in intels and nVidias and have a crapton of problems with different games and all that. I'm sure though that its not just brand that costs more, they most likely are a tad better, but AMD is nothing to underestimate anymore.

As I wont be having any real income for another 3½ years, I'm most likely sticking with the AMD boat.

I lack knowledge and will to build my own PC, which is why I went with Novatech. I couldve saved a bit building myself, but the good thing is that they've thoroughly tested every combination they sell, meaning that there wont be those "oh crap, seems that this card doesnt like this mobo"-kind of issues or anything.

Also, got the best customer service of my life from that place.

I could really use another TB of HDD space myself, but they are so darned expensive. I fraps a lot, but it would be cool to not have to delete published material right away.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2011-12-23 at 04:45 AM.
Old 2011-12-23, 07:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Vancha
Colonel

^
You're lucky. CPU issues generally seem to be in the minority, with ATI being the main offender in GPU problems (typically due to the drivers). Buying a pre-built doesn't mean you're any less likely to experience problems, unless someone's silly enough to buy parts that aren't compatible.
Old 2011-12-23, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
inigma
Sergeant

With the beta sign up available, and to give me enough lead time to build it and work out any kinks, I pushed da button. The PS2 Gaming System is on order now. Should be here late next week in time for the holiday weekend and first boot on Jan 1, 2012.
Old 2011-12-26, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
inigma
Sergeant

arrgh.

Now this is odd. I used the Corsair memory config tool for the AS Rock Extreme4 Gen3 mobo to select the 16GB Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 which I purchased, however according to the memory support list for ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 mobo, its not listed. Oy vey! Is the list out of date or am I missing something here? Why would Corsair list it but not ASRock?

I thought I did my research. People on newegg for the memory have the same mobo and it works fine for them, however, and this is a big however, those ppl were also using an i5 instead of an i7 2600k. i did some google searches and found that those using an i7 2600k with the ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 were unable to run all four sticks of the Corsair memory without getting BSOD'd in Win7. 2 sticks work just fine, but not all four. This was for both the p67 and z68 gen3 boards. I think I found some answers by ASRock support forums that the issue is with the cpu's memory controller, and not the board or memory per se.

Can someone help me confirm this? This would really suck to get all four sticks and be handicapped to just 2 with my new build lest I get BSODs. I really liked the color of the Corsair as it matches the neutral black and (and blue led) theme of the rig. The only DDR3 1600 speed 16GB 4x4GB kit that appears supported by the ASRock page that also has a heatspreader is the (tr colored ick!) red g.skill ripjaws.

Any suggestions? Should I rma the Corsair as soon as I get it in the mail this Thursday, or just try it out, see if it works, wait for it fail if ever, and then rma it and get the ripjaws?

I'm sweating here. I thought I did enough homework to make sure I got the right memory.
Old 2011-12-27, 01:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Traak
Colonel

If you return it without opening, what's the penalty, if any?

If none, you would feel safer sending it back.

If substantial, slap it in. Let the motherboard auto-detect the settings and then rock'n'roll.

After that, you can incrementally overclock it.
Old 2011-12-27, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
inigma
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
If you return it without opening, what's the penalty, if any?

If none, you would feel safer sending it back.

If substantial, slap it in. Let the motherboard auto-detect the settings and then rock'n'roll.

After that, you can incrementally overclock it.
For items that aren't defective (but imcompatible) Newegg charges a 15% restocking fee, plus you have to pay for shipping back. On an $82 kit of 16 GB memory, that's almost a $20 hit. If it's defective, within 30 days of purchase returning is free for replacement. I could probably get away with calling their customer service and explain that Corsair recommends the memory I ordered for my mobo, but that it's defective when I install all four modules. Of course, this means I have to install it and have it fail to make the claim.

So I'm going to try testing the memory, as ASRock's memory list hasn't been updated since release, and I did read of another newegg user who has the same mobo, memory, and cpu combo which worked fine for them. So here's hoping.

Last edited by inigma; 2011-12-27 at 09:09 AM.
Old 2011-12-27, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
SgtMAD
Captain

this is exactly why I am so friggin happy to have a Fry's in Vegas,makes all this RMA crap much simpler
Old 2011-12-27, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
inigma
Sergeant

Originally Posted by HtSgtMAD View Post
this is exactly why I am so friggin happy to have a Fry's in Vegas,makes all this RMA crap much simpler
I do have to admit though that newegg customer service reps are empowered to help. I inquired about the $40 price drop from Friday to Monday on the gtx 580 3GB and they gave me a courtesy refund for the difference!

I also understand that they are very accommodating with RMA issues, and are golden when stuff is actually broken. No doubt I probably could get a free RMA if I asked with the situation I described above about the memory being recommended by Corsair. Of course, I'd rather do Corsair. I have 20 some days to generate a BSOD (and those with the issue were experiencing it immediately), and I will certainly be putting the computer through its paces to ensure the memory is working well.
Old 2011-12-28, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
inigma
Sergeant

Added gaming mouse and gaming keyboard based on reviews and recommendations. The PS2 Core Gaming Complete System is now complete in its design.
Old 2011-12-28, 10:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Traak
Colonel

you said "Core." Bad memories from PS1
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum