will PS2 be "large address aware" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Theres no place like home
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-13, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ragefighter
Contributor
Sergeant

will PS2 be "large address aware"

Was just wondering if Forgelight will have support for more than the usual 32-bit limit on RAM.

would be nice to see games move over into the next gen area and support more memory usage (probably more windows and the game engine than the game it self).

anyway just want to use more than 1.5gb of my 16gb!

I bought 16gb because it is really cheap...
Old 2012-03-13, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: will PS2 be "large address aware"

Is it even possible to use more than 1.5 GB without being 64bit?

edit: ah, quick google told me that 32 bit software can use up to 4 GB of ram on a 64 bit OS + CPU.

Good to know.

And from that short google session, i would guess they let you use as much as possible, means up to 4 GB. Everything else would just be silly.

Last edited by basti; 2012-03-13 at 04:47 PM.
Old 2012-03-13, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Duddy
First Sergeant

A more concise question might be; Is there a 64-bit client?

But I agree, and I'd be interested to know whether they intend to do so.
Old 2012-03-13, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Markn
Private

No its not hardware possible to use more ram in a 32 bit exe its not a software limitation its a hardware one. I do hope for a 64bit client but doubt we see it.
Old 2012-03-13, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by Markn View Post
No its not hardware possible to use more ram in a 32 bit exe its not a software limitation its a hardware one. I do hope for a 64bit client but doubt we see it.

Which is a shame, I have been using 64 bit Windows for over 3 years now on my last 2 computer builds.
Old 2012-03-13, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bonius
Sergeant

Even though if the game itself is locked within the 32-bit limitations, having a 64-bit OS guarantees that it will be a smooth ride.

Having an excess pool of 6+gb for the rest of the system to play with is still a ton better than having to share a total of 4gb for the whole system.

Gonna be a few more years before we start seeing dedicated 64-bit games since the market for 32-bit games/apps (and the tools to develop them) are still in a big majority.

Last edited by Bonius; 2012-03-13 at 05:28 PM.
Old 2012-03-13, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Shanesan
Sergeant

Computer Scientist here.

Any new gaming engine, if they want to use it for the next X number of years, MUST be 64-bit compatible, especially on this scale of game. People who code engines aren't stupid, and this was probably not even written on the whiteboard while they were planning - it's a standard now in the 2010s.

All Points Bulletin is a 64-bit client. You are severely reduced if you are running 32-bit. 64-bit is not even the future - it's the now.
Old 2012-03-13, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Bonius
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
Computer Scientist here.

Any new gaming engine, if they want to use it for the next X number of years, MUST be 64-bit compatible, especially on this scale of game. People who code engines aren't stupid, and this was probably not even written on the whiteboard while they were planning - it's a standard now in the 2010s.

All Points Bulletin is a 64-bit client. You are severely reduced if you are running 32-bit. 64-bit is not even the future - it's the now.
64-bit compatible is one thing
64-bit exclusive is another

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there still OS limitations as in how much resources a single application can use before the system becomes unstable, even on 64-bit?
Old 2012-03-13, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bonius View Post
64-bit compatible is one thing
64-bit exclusive is another

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there still OS limitations as in how much resources a single application can use before the system becomes unstable, even on 64-bit?
Yes, but the limit is FAR higher than a 32 bit application, i don't think most hardware is capable of supporting the amount of RAM/Resources that are the limit in a 64-bit system.
Old 2012-03-13, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bonius
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Metalsheep View Post
Yes, but the limit is FAR higher than a 32 bit application, i don't think most hardware is capable of supporting the amount of RAM/Resources that are the limit in a 64-bit system.
Ah yes, I'm not refering to the actual limit of how much RAM you can smack in to reach the actual physical limit of the 64-bit architecture, but rather the way the code is compiled and how its supposed to run.
Old 2012-03-13, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bonius View Post
Ah yes, I'm not refering to the actual limit of how much RAM you can smack in to reach the actual physical limit of the 64-bit architecture, but rather the way the code is compiled and how its supposed to run.
That dosent have much to do with the the OS itself, the OS allows programs to use a, basically unlimited, amount of RAM and resources. It becomes a software issue at that point when it comes to how it is compiled. Like with Skyrim, Bethesda actually programmed a 2-Gig limit into Skyrim, but Modders quickly cracked it untill Bethesda raised the limit in an update.

Though in order to also include the people with 32-Bit OS's, PS2 will likely be coded to only use 2G or so of RAM, unless its exclusivly 64-Bit. It's up to how the programmers code the game to handle resources. 64 Bit just gives them a extreamly high limit.
Old 2012-03-13, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
exoteror
Corporal

A bit off topic. But I think windows 8 should be 64 bit exclusive and force the world to transition, it's about time.
Old 2012-03-13, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by exoteror View Post
A bit off topic. But I think windows 8 should be 64 bit exclusive and force the world to transition, it's about time.
Windows 8 is designed for Touch Screens/Tablets. It wont work so well with Desktop PCs, even if its compatable. Im sure most people will stick with Windows 7 for many years, like they did with XP.
Old 2012-03-13, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I say the game should be primarily designed for 32-bit systems. Because 1/3 of the world's pop is still using 32-bit windows. Don't want PS2 to turn into APB Reloaded.

But something tells me it's too late to do anything about it.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-03-13, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ragefighter
Contributor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by exoteror View Post
yea really. only problem is they plan to use win8 in mobile devices and ARM chips so that most likely wont happen.

the world needs to advance out of 32-bit. best to just not give a choice of 32-bit, I mean it is really not a price issue in hardware since just about every cpu, save the crappy netbook cores, is 64-bit.
Just need the software developer's software/tool programs to kick it up a notch!

A game engine like this is probably still going to be in use 20 years from now.
Forgelight is going to be used in both PS2 and the next Everquest so a lot is running on this!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion