Armor Comparison: PS1 to PS2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If you don't know what an FPS is, save yourself the trouble.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-10, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info
Armor Comparison: PS1 to PS2

Infiltration Exo-suit (Cloaker)

New Conglomerate
The Planetside 1 NC Cloaker suit was faithfully recreated for Planetside 2 in my opinion, and fits the style of the NC overall as well as the original Planetside style. However I felt it lacked color and quickly edited it to further represent the original style from Planetside 1.

To see the unedited armor simply click on the image.

Terran Republic
Planetside 2's TR Cloaker suit is a complete re-imagining of the original from Planetside 1, with the only similarities being the colors. I personally like the new style of armor as it has a very menacing look while also emphasising the overall theme of the TR.

Vanu Sovereignty
Although its a different representation, I feel like the Planetside 2 VS Cloaker suit retained the style that Planetside 1 tried to convey with the original cloaker suit. However, just like with the NC Cloaker, I felt it lacked color and quickly edited it to further represent the original style from Planetside 1.

Agile Exo-suit (Agile)

New Conglomerate
Across all empires the agile suits have retained their original designs almost exactly. While the clothing color was changed from black to beige, it still looks like you would expect and represents an anchor for long time Planetside players.

Terran Republic
Agile armor in Planetside 2 is heavily influenced by Planetside 1 which I see as a very big positive. My only critisim comes from the lack of color on the TR Agile armor, so it was quickly edited to further represent the original style from Planetside 1. Although Battle Rank can change the visual appearance of the armor I'm simply comparing it to the base images from Planetside 1.

Vanu Sovereignty
Just like with the other empires the VS Agile suit follows the same trend as taking heavy queues from the original Planetside 1 design. Sure the pauldrons have changed a bit, but the style was retained through the redesign and holds up nicely.

Reinforced Exo-Suit (Rexo)

New Conglomerate
As with the Agile suits the Rexo armor across all empires has retained the same representation of what heavy armor is in Planetside, however in Planetside 2 the style queues for each empire are emphasised even more to great effect. The NC Rexo looks fantastic and represents the original perfectly, but my only adjustment would be to change the undersuit from beige back to black. The reason for is is because the beige is too prominant against the rest of the equipment. Bringing it back to black not only gives the feeling of more study armor, but also makes the armor feel more complete in my opinion.

Terran Republic
Planetside 2's re-imagining of the TR Rexo is a refreshing one, as it not only encompasses the shapes of the TR but also strikes a sense of dominance that the TR have represented through Auraxis's history.

Vanu Sovereignty
When I first saw the VS Rexo for Planetside 2 I was taken aback, though not in a positive way. The design was striking but the colors represented nothing of the VS I knew from Planetside. After looking over the armor and comparing the two more on a design level I could see the influence that lead to the radical re-imagining of the armor for Planetside 2. After messing with the colors a bit I came to a balance I was very happy with, which I felt represented not only the original VS Rexo but also gave more familiarity and identity to the new Rexo.

Mechanized Assault Exo-Suit (MAX)

New Conglomerate
Although we haven't seen the finished models for the MAX suits, just pouring over the concept art and WIP photos is enough to get me excited and see the influences from the original Planetside. The design for the Planetside 2 NC MAX represents not only the 'Do what you can with what you've got' mentality of the NC, but also draws heavily from the design of Planetside 1. My only complaint again is the lack of color, but I'll wait till we see the finished product.

Terran Republic
I can't say enough how much I enjoy this updated look to one of my favorite MAX suits in Planetside. I don't have much to comment on as I find it pretty flawless. Yes the glass dome isn't there, though I'd take the juggernaut style with TR goggles any day of the week. Fantastic concept and can't wait to see the finished model.

Vanu Sovereignty
Much like the Planetside 2 VS Rexo, the MAX Suit is a radical re-imagining of the original VS MAX from Planetside. Honestly I think its a great representation of what the Vanu are and their devotion to the Vanu Technology found on Auraxis. It's a stunning mix of certain key points of influence from the original that are then brought over to the new design to give it enough familiarity while still being unique. it's extremely impressive and looks like it'll be a challenge to represent in a final model. However, while all the intricate detail might not carry over, it'll certainly be one of the more visually impressive units on the battlefield, and is sure to strike fear in the other empires.
Old 2012-04-10, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Armor Comparison: PS1 to PS2

You know when you look at them side by side its amazing how almost identical they are just with updated graphics. I love it!! thanks for posting this.

Old 2012-04-10, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
You know when you look at them side by side its amazing how almost identical they are just with updated graphics. I love it!! thanks for posting this.
Well be sure to read my descriptions for each one because I adjusted colors for some of them. I also give my opinion and insight into each one.
Old 2012-04-10, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Mechzz
Major

Nice post! Thanks for taking the time to put the new side by side with the old. I hadn't realised how basically similar they are.

Still, just confirms to me that T-Ray was smoking something good when the VS Max was designed. That suit has no place in Planetside. And the VS Rexo is just poor. As a prospective VS player, I'm a bit underwhelmed tbh.
Old 2012-04-10, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Knocky
Major

Excellent job editing that NC cloaker.

However you should not worry too much about the basic color jobs the Devs gave these guys.

They need us to buy the various color/camo packs in the cash shop to help fund this game.
Old 2012-04-10, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Typwn View Post
Well be sure to read my descriptions for each one because I adjusted colors for some of them. I also give my opinion and insight into each one.
Thanks for this, much appreciated. I think it is the adjusted colors that bring to light the similarities with PS1's armors, not to mention make what is already awesome even cooler.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-04-10, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
Nice post! Thanks for taking the time to put the new side by side with the old. I hadn't realised how basically similar they are.

Still, just confirms to me that T-Ray was smoking something good when the VS Max was designed. That suit has no place in Planetside. And the VS Rexo is just poor. As a prospective VS player, I'm a bit underwhelmed tbh.
Thanks! Personally I'm quite fond of the new Rexo and MAX concepts, they are really unique and show just how alien the Vanu are. It's a radical change but one for the better in my opinion.
Old 2012-04-10, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post

However you should not worry too much about the basic color jobs the Devs gave these guys.

They need us to buy the various color/camo packs in the cash shop to help fund this game.
Agreed. The color schemes were probably left plain silver/biege to help promote purchase of other schemes to help fund the game. Since they are sticking to sidegrades and cosmetic purchases, they need to boost profit as much as possible without making it a requirement, a tough job for them.

Also I really hope that VS MAX suit goes into the game as much like that as possible. There are a lot of similarities between VS and the other empires for a group of radicals that base much of their designs on alien technology.
Old 2012-04-10, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Awesome job on the descriptions. I didn't even notice you edited the colors until you mentioned it. They look great. Awesome job for sure. The updated colors you gave them is exactly how I would of imagined them to look also.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-04-10 at 12:33 PM.
Old 2012-04-10, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Mechzz
Major

Personally I'm quite fond of the new Rexo and MAX concepts, they are really unique and show just how alien the Vanu are. It's a radical change but one for the better in my opinion.
I hear ya! My choice to go Vanu in PS1 was made BEFORE I ever played the game - driven off the Max jump-jet ability, the more interesting back story and the more futuristic feel of the VS based on it armours, tanks, etc.

Seeing the Max won't be able to jump, and all empires will have jump jets, and I'm not a huge fan of the new VS look, maybe it's time to change empires? Or will the whole tank-strafing energy weapon thing still win me over?

Oh I'm torn!
Old 2012-04-10, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post

Thank you very much. Yeah I agree that they probably left them basic for color and camo packs, but I have to ask myself these questions: Would I want to pay to look more like the original Planetside, or pay to look more unique than the original Planetside?

My point being that if the all silver look was the default and I was asked to buy the Purple color skin, I probably wouldn't consider it. However if the purple color skin were default and silver was a unique look I could buy, I would probably jump on that in a hurry simply because it's different than what we're used to.
Old 2012-04-10, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Vancha
Colonel

I get to consolidate LA/HA armour bitching to a single post? Wonderful!

TR LA looks ultra-boring, with too-big goggles.
NA HA has bizarre gaps around the elbows and above the boots.
VS HA has a pyramid-hat that even Lady Gaga would look at and think, "what the fuck?"

The rest is all looking great.
Old 2012-04-10, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

great post, loved it!
Old 2012-04-10, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
CutterJohn
Colonel

Still not keen on the new vanu max. The PS1 vs max was the best one, as it was the only one a human could have actually worn without dislocating their shoulders/hips, and it looked far more functional/rational than the PS2 version. No extraneous bits sticking out, pointless spikes, or things of that nature.
Old 2012-04-10, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
TR LA looks ultra-boring, with too-big goggles.
NA HA has bizarre gaps around the elbows and above the boots.
VS HA has a pyramid-hat that even Lady Gaga would look at and think, "what the fuck?"
TR LA - Remember that the TR were the reigning empire for hundreds of years, so their equipment will look utilitarian.

NA HA - The gaps are to provide full range of motion, otherwise more bulky armor to cover the gaps would restrict movement.

VS HA - The helm doesn't really bother me at all. I think it's bothering others because of the 'head on' perspective in which we are seeing the helmet. In-game I'm sure it will look perfectly fine.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Still not keen on the new vanu max. The PS1 vs max was the best one, as it was the only one a human could have actually worn without dislocating their shoulders/hips, and it looked far more functional/rational than the PS2 version. No extraneous bits sticking out, pointless spikes, or things of that nature.
I think the PS1 VS MAX was certainly the most stylish, but I didn't find it to be very alien like. The new VS MAX for PS2 looks like what could possibly be the visage of the actual Vanu, which I certainly would want to represent if I were a devout follower of the Vanu Sovereignty.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion