Planetside "moments", just like Battlefield moments. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because Everquest sucks
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-29, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Planetside "moments", just like Battlefield moments.

I want to put together a compilation of things that make Planetside awesome, it'll go together in a larger promotional thing I'm making. Planetside generally sounds great as a whole, thousands of players fighting simultaneously on a continent, with multiple continents to a world, in absolutely massive battles, but it really doesn't capture the essence of awesome that's within Planetside. What really captures that is the moments and events that happen during gameplay.

Explain (not a wall of text please, a couple of paragraphs) those events in Planetside that leave you in absolute, total awe. Those moments, like Battlefield moments, that make you think "This is what makes Planetside amazing, this is why I love this game".

Try to do so as artistically as possible, this is a persuasion piece, make people feel what you feel. As if you're talking to someone that's never played the game, explain an event in Planetside that makes it incredible.

I've reposted to several communities to get as many as possible.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com

Last edited by Skitrel; 2012-03-29 at 10:17 AM.
Old 2012-03-29, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
DxC
Sergeant

Re: Planetside "moments", just like Battlefield moments.

I would do but this sounds like Homework

And on topic ill write something up soonish
Old 2012-03-29, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Try to be artistic? Specific word count? Homework indeed. Way to suck any inspiration out of the room. Or as a certain face would say better: No.

Last edited by Bazilx; 2012-03-29 at 10:06 AM.
Old 2012-03-29, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by DxC View Post
I would do but this sounds like Homework

And on topic ill write something up soonish
Reworded it, it's not supposed to sound like that. Hopefully that's slightly better. My goal is basically to have a number of short pieces that explain the amazingness of Planetside, those little events that leave you breathless. I'm going to put together a much bigger piece that I'll distribute to a number of places under the title "What is Planetside 2? And why should you be excited about it" covering the basic overview of what the game is at the grand scheme of things, what the gameplay will feel somewhat like(it being alongside other AAA shooter mechanics today), the persistent nature of things, backstory, footage of the game, along with what the game feels like at the grunt level with these moments of complete awe.

Old 2012-03-29, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Stardouser
Colonel

Compared to what can happen in a proper MMOFPS, BAttlefield Moments are a joke.
Old 2012-03-29, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Compared to what can happen in a proper MMOFPS, BAttlefield Moments are a joke.
I agree. And anyone that's played PS1 will agree, but capturing those moments and giving that feeling to players that have not is what I'd like to do.

Think of it as explaining the crowning most glorious moments and memories you had during gameplay.

Old 2012-03-29, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
I agree. And anyone that's played PS1 will agree, but capturing those moments and giving that feeling to players that have not is what I'd like to do.

Think of it as explaining the crowning most glorious moments and memories you had during gameplay.
Right! I was just taking the opportunity to demonize the Battlefield franchise for not working on an MMOFPS.

By the way, there are probably people who are capable of and would enjoy doing reporting on in-game events(I don't mean special events, just the day to day happenings). Maybe SOE could allow a select few VETTED people to have the ability to ghost and eavesdrop for that purpose? Naturally, no one would be able to create a character on a server on which they have been granted this ability.

Kind of like a journalist riding with the troops but able to watch anything, anywhere, in safety.

And people who have the hardware to record lots of video could also capture highlight reels of some kind while doing this.
Old 2012-03-29, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Bazilx
Try to be artistic? Specific word count? Homework indeed. Way to suck any inspiration out of the room. Or as a certain face would say better: No.
There's a reason your post was removed, because it was overtly negative and completely unnecessary, much like this post. I'm doing something to promote the game, something that's inherently positive for it and this community, take that negativeness elsewhere with regards to projects people want to undertake to help the game. I can understand arguments against feature suggestions, this is just negativity towards those that seek to help the game and it puts off anyone that wants to do anything good for it. Don't derail positive things people want to do.

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Right! I was just taking the opportunity to demonize the Battlefield franchise for not working on an MMOFPS.

By the way, there are probably people who are capable of and would enjoy doing reporting on in-game events(I don't mean special events, just the day to day happenings). Maybe SOE could allow a select few VETTED people to have the ability to ghost and eavesdrop for that purpose? Naturally, no one would be able to create a character on a server on which they have been granted this ability.

Kind of like a journalist riding with the troops but able to watch anything, anywhere, in safety.

And people who have the hardware to record lots of video could also capture highlight reels of some kind while doing this.
You know, I really like this idea. Kind of like an Auraxis News Network kind of deal, cataloguing the events and happenings of Planetside 2 on a day to day basis, you should make it a suggestion thread, I can see it accompanying the new website alongside the online realtime map in browser and the like.

Last edited by Skitrel; 2012-03-29 at 10:26 AM.
Old 2012-03-29, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bazilx
First Sergeant

There's a reason your post was removed, because it was overtly negative and completely unnecessary, much like this post. I'm doing something to promote the game
You Terrans are all the same, "do this", "do that", and in "this way". I'm free to do as I like and be as negative about your idea as I like. I felt you wrote your post poorly and I still do. If you'd prefer for me to be covertly negative as opposed to overtly negative I could write you a riddle where the answer is an insult.

Last edited by Bazilx; 2012-03-29 at 11:10 AM.
Old 2012-03-29, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Stardouser
Colonel

You know, I really like this idea. Kind of like an Auraxis News Network kind of deal, cataloguing the events and happenings of Planetside 2 on a day to day basis, you should make it a suggestion thread, I can see it accompanying the new website alongside the online realtime map in browser and the like.
I made it! Now go to it lol!
Old 2012-03-29, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Here's one from GhostchantXI on reddit:

Originally Posted by GhostchantXI
I was part of the 1 percent

In all honesty I've never played a game with moments more epic than planetside. Battlefield moments just don't compare. Like this one:

Our outfit platoon was on Searhus, inside the crater. Normally we would move around the continent in 5 full Galaxies towards our target but today that wasn't possible. Inside the crater their were Skyguards, Sparrows, and stupid amounts of infantry equipped with a Phoenix. A Sunderer wasn't an option since we had no tech lab, and Deliverers were out of the question since their was just as much AV as AA.

Instead we decided to load up inside Peles' lobby, all 50 of us. The call was for medics and engineers to bring as much juice as possible. Infantry was to use REXO suits,Cyclers, and Strykers only. MAX units were to be AV and AA only. The order was given to push towards Oro, and my most enjoyable moment began.

We pushed through to the lava fields under fire from the enemies aircraft. They didn't last long against 30 Strykers. Once we got to the lava fields the forces at Oro and Oro tower spotted us. On the bright side we had gotten to the boulders that cover the center of the crater so we had cover. We would push up to a different group of boulders, leapfrogging to medics and engineers who would then heal and repair us to keep our slow push moving. Every time anyone ducked out from behind cover to push forward yellow and blue tracers lit up the crater. We continued our slow push for about five minutes without losing a single soldier.

We got to the last set of boulders before having to cross the road to Oro tower, there would be nowhere to hide from the barrage of bullets on this final push. No one hesitated. Our ten MAX units engaged their auto-run to draw fire from the enemy forcing some to switch to AV weapons, big mistake. Immediately after, the forty infantry we had behind the rocks ready to run made their move. Cyclers drawn, we pushed to the tower to meet up with out MAX units who were now keeping the infantry inside the tower by guarding the ground floor doors. As we pushed our outfit leader, BuzzCutPsycho, was calling out targets that had to die. The second an enemy was called out for execution, they were dead. Instead of any of us dying from the push from the boulders to the tower, we had killed fifteen NC to the spawn screen and forced many more to fall back inside the tower.

When we got to the tower we had our engies and medics heal everyone up for the final push. Once again we sent our MAX units in first. AV, then AA, then infantry. The doors opened, and immediately we sent a squad of five to guard the spawn stairs so there would be no reinforcements. Our AV MAXs pushed up the stairs hard, killing 3 of the MAX units that had posted up a defense. Our infantry followed pushing hard and fast only stopping to reload while the ones behind them took over, pushing hard and fast. By the time the tower was ours we had accrued fifty unique kills and suffered three casualties. We set up in the spawn room to re-arm ourselves with MCGs and Strykers. Then we got into formation and ran outside, all fifty of us, all looking in the same direction, all with the same goal. Oro.

Snapple fun fact:
We took Oro from an Orange alert sized force within 25 minutes.

Old 2012-03-29, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
KrazeyVIII
Corporal

It's like a magical novel of awesome!
Old 2012-03-29, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Someone here started a website with Planetside stories, the thread it's self also had good ones I think... looking it up

The Planetside Stories Book Project Thread

http://planetsidestories.me/

a couple there

another thread on the topic

Best Planetside Moment Thread
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-03-29 at 01:06 PM.
Old 2012-03-29, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

I don't understand why you call them "Battlefield" moments? I take it the capitalized "Battlefield" means the Battlefield series of games. Why aren't you just asking for Planetside moments?

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-03-29, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

"Battlefield moments" ... yes ... that's when I want to pull my hair out and shout at my screen. BF games provide plenty of those moments indeed.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion