command ranks (global spam and command abilities) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Believe it or not, there are GUNS in this game!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-10, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

command ranks (global spam and command abilities)

Don't know if they have this. I understand in the first game it was prettymuch abused to get the max rank then neglected once the orbital strike was finished but it did give some filter for the global spam. Just wondering if they have some sort of empire wide communication set up and if so how will it be screened.
Old 2012-04-10, 08:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Nalan
Contributor
Private

Re: command ranks (global spam and command abilities)

Last I heard there are no command ranks, only battle ranks, but there will be command perks. Abilities where points can be added to, so that command personnel will have to sacrifice their points on command abilties instead of assault abilities.

As for global communication I haven't heard much about this.

www.total-oblivion.com

Last edited by Nalan; 2012-04-10 at 08:06 AM.
Old 2012-04-10, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

Command will be a training tree much like all of the other skills. As far as broadcasts I doubt we will see that again, instead we will probably see commanders who can set continental/global missions.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-04-10, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Global spam is the primary reason the command structure is being revamped. Players will choose which commanders they wish to "follow" and will only see their orders. So, in a sense, it was removed for the general population, but those who choose to "hear" you, will.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-10, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
... but those who choose to "hear" you, will.
I hear planetside voices in my head...

Heh, just the way you worded that last part... sounded ominous

As for the command tree/ranks, etc. I simply can not wait to see how the"certs" for it are going to pan out. I hope, as do probably many others, that the "tree" is going to be synergistic with outfit implementation. Also, I am very very curious how the actual mechanics of "writing" a mission(s) will work...

I hope it is something akin to a large field that comes up, with a sidebar of mission types that are drag/droppable into slots to form a pyramid like mission structure. The top of the pyramid, of course, being the major goal, and the secondary / tertiary / ancillary missions being fixtures pursuant to the big finale at the top. Perhaps, even better, a map-placard with local points of interest being the slots, instead of a pyramid. Lots of interesting ways to do it...

Very curious to see the implementation... I hope it is doable on the fly, and not some tedious monster... where you cant see what needs to get done, and are totally removed from the "reality" of the scenario playing out. I really hope situational awareness is modeled into the mission generating scheme... There could be a small chat for mission writers at the bottom of the mission writing "screen" to facilitate coordination too.

We will not need a mass global chat method if this is done well.

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 2012-04-10, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
kaffis
Contributor
Major

I expect the mission system to largely (entirely?) replace "command chat."

The question then becomes whether there will be leadership tree certifications that will try to facilitate communication between commanders. Even so, I expect the appeal of such a thing to be much less interesting to some of the worst offenders on the global spam, since it's 1. opt-in and 2. limited in audience. It won't be a continent/empire-wide soapbox to attention whore, and won't, in itself, be useful for moving the zerg and thus feeling powerful. Instead, it would do what it's meant to: facilitating communication and cooperation between commanders as they coordinate mission creation.
Old 2012-04-10, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ruwyn
Corporal

I want to hear about squads picking up missions sending them directly into ambushes....LOL. silly mission system.
Old 2012-04-10, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

They need a tool like in PS1 where when browsing a mission you see an image of the map that the person can draw on with simple tools. Being able to write and draw things up like a play in a sport would make this really cool.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion