A major factor making me quit... pop imbalance (again) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It will pop your cherry
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-10-20, 06:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
DynamoECT
Private

A major factor making me quit... pop imbalance (again)

After enjoying playing up to level 74, rolling with an organised outfit, having many awesome experiences... I just can't be motivated to play.

Part of this is related to issues discussed at length elsewhere. The lack of "metagame" (the playing for something other than certs or k/d usage of the term). The lack of new content. And so on.

But the thing that's putting me off right at the login screen:-
Vanu ~25%
TR ~40%
NC ~35%
Maybe not all the time, but often, and the same on 3 different EU servers that I have characters on.

When I'm in an over popped side, I have often played for a while, looking for a fair fight. This can get tedious after a bit, leading to boredom quit. When I'm getting roflstomped (hello my vanu comrades) I quit far earlier, via rage quit.

What do we get for valiantly battling overwhelming numbers? A measly 5% or so exp. On exp that we're not earning anyway due to constant instagibbing.

I can't believe there's still no real incentives for playing on the underdog side after all these months.

Wake me up when Hossin comes, that might interest me long enough to play for a while.
Old 2013-10-20, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Snoggy
Private

Re: A major factor making me quit... pop imbalance (again)

Can be depressing. VS with a world pop of 58%... TR in the low 30's... NC in mid 30's....

Unless it's an alert in the evenings, VS are probably going to roll face. I mean why play TR or NC when the VS just have so many more?

I do enjoy the challenge though, I suppose. Especially when any biolab encouter turns into a ZOE zerg.
Old 2013-10-20, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

I'm afraid of Hossin being crap because of pop imbalance. Everyone will flood to see the new continent when it goes live and it will lose it's appeal because of the terribly over poped faction on our server zerging everything.

This is pretty much exactly why I lost interest in New Essamire.
Old 2013-10-21, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Perhaps it is because I am still new here (and I've become a bit of a shameless fan boy), but I quite fancy a go of fighting my way out of a Warpgate
Old 2013-10-21, 04:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
Perhaps it is because I am still new here (and I've become a bit of a shameless fan boy), but I quite fancy a go of fighting my way out of a Warpgate
I quite like that too, as long as you're not camped in by a 'nest'.
Old 2013-10-21, 05:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Qwan
Captain

Originally Posted by HereticusXZ View Post
I'm afraid of Hossin being crap because of pop imbalance. Everyone will flood to see the new continent when it goes live and it will lose it's appeal because of the terribly over poped faction on our server zerging everything.

This is pretty much exactly why I lost interest in New Essamire.
Im hoping hossin is not crap to, but I figure with the fourth continent, a home continent, and the battle islands, well have home turf to defend, and there is the possibility for continental lock. I played PS1 for 8 + years and the meta in that was locking continents and playing with my buds, and also trying to open more certs for more skills, and command rank. Well the command structure is not coming back, but they could at least give me the feeling of accomplishment when they bring in that fourth continents and we finally get our own continent.
Old 2013-10-21, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Blackburn
Private

I prefer being outnumbered, makes the game more fun.
Old 2013-10-22, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I still say that the best way to solve this is by allowing players to play their account on any server. Let the players choose how they want to play. If I sign in on Koruptor to a 58% VS pop on Mattherson which is ridiculously become the norm, I can switch to another server with a better balanced pop. So far nothing that SOE has done to solve this problem on Planetside or Planetside2 has worked.
Stop introducing temporary fixes to the game, more exp, less exp, transfers, and mergers. Give players free will for them to log on to where they feel the fight is best.

Old 2013-10-22, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
kubacheski
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Blackburn View Post
I agree with this, but there is a point where a "target rich environment" simply becomes you being the proverbial "fish in a barrel" with too many projectiles aimed your direction.
Old 2013-10-22, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Phrygen
Corporal

i have a VS alt on waterson.

never having resources fucking blows. Specifically infantry resources.

Last edited by Phrygen; 2013-10-22 at 07:59 PM.
Old 2013-10-22, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Unfortunately the lattice system has made these problems far worse as everyone on the server gets condensed into a few fights. There is no more picking the right fights and points of attack to win a map, just one sided zergs sweeping the map. The VS for example use to do work on waterson even when under poped. The smaller outfits would work together to coordinate assaults on different territories to take the map... not so much any more.

Even when conts are locked lattice is killing fights. Every person on that locked server is forced into a handful of fights and the servers cant handle that many people in so few locations. Every major alert during prime time lately has made that cont unplayable on Waterson, to the point where we are canceling ops.

There will always be pop problems, the trick is to find ways to make them less of an issue. Lattice unfortunately has been the biggest factor in making population problems more of an issue, not to mention more static and boring game flow.
Old 2013-10-22, 10:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I do not see the connection between pop balances and the lattice. You still have multiple points to attack or defend.

In concept this is easy.
1. Log into your account.
2. Choose your character .
3. Pick a server.

Last edited by capiqu; 2013-10-22 at 10:56 PM.
Old 2013-10-22, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

It's an exaggerated statement. Even on the most busy alerts, there's always a few lattice links on every continent that are basically ghost-towns.
Old 2013-10-22, 11:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Chewy
Major

Speaking of quitting. How are the outfits going? Any of your outfits having problems holding members I mean.

DVS has dropped to 400 members lately from putting a 2 month limit on last login a number of weeks ago. And about 1/3 of that is sitting at 1-2 months inactive.
Old 2013-10-23, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Nur
Sergeant

Agree, unless you fight against 7-8 ZOE maxes at a time.

Also.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion