Are there plans to remove snipers? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Does that thong come in different colors?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-06-25, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
War Barney
Sergeant Major

Are there plans to remove snipers?

I know a lot of people will whine about it but lets face it snipers are just ridiculous, about 50%+ of my deaths are to snipers and it seems all I ever see are infiltrators. And no its not from standing still 1 shot from a sniper is half your hp (well just over) so its VERY easy for the swarms of them to kill you without needing head shots (thats not to say I'm not constantly being head shot while sprinting).

I understand they wanted to appeal to CoD players but snipers in such a huge open game are insane, they can completely encircle you with ease and not only kill people from complete safety but then even when you find them they stealth away so its basically pointless to even try and kill them.

Theres a lot of things that annoy me in PS2 like libs being gods and stealth in general but snipers are the worst, at least a god awful lib pilot can be scared off by a skyguard (good ones just kill you in about 1 second with a shredder) a bad sniper is out of any danger and just spams shots meaning even if they don't get kills somehow they put tons of people under half hp meaning they need to stay in cover to heal (where they then get sniped by another army of snipers).
Old 2014-06-25, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
DarkBalths
Corporal

Re: Are there plans to remove snipers?

"This thing is performing its intended role effectively and should therefore be removed."

Mad cus bad? Mad cus bad.
Old 2014-06-25, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
RSphil
Contributor
Major

i hope not, snipers are a handy roll to have. they arnt that common on my server. take last night for example, very large fight id say 200+ NC and TR 40 min fight for a base and i saw maybe 5 snipers on TR (i was one) and maybe 6-7 on NC. no problem there and this is how i normally see it.

if we are getting sniped a lot and pinned into an area i start anti sniping. every situation has a solution it just need people to find it and act on it. a small group of TR snipers where taken out by a NC squad that came in from the rear.

they are no more a problem then any other type of solider on the battle ground. i kill snipers with my Heavy gun from a distance as well ( which annoys them lol )

Adapt, overcome, conquer
Old 2014-06-25, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sarloh
Corporal

If 50% of your deaths are sniper related then I think that you might not be playing the full game here. Since this is a GIANT 64km2 map it's logical that there are some long range infantry units and snipers fill that role.
Also, it's not OP if you can use it as well.

Or you might just be having a bad day on the battlefield which can happen so don't worry, as a sniper isn't that scary once you get right in his face.
Old 2014-06-25, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
War Barney
Sergeant Major

Its not a bad day its a bad year, on woodman we have about 100+ snipers it seems in every fight, the second you cross any open ground at least 20 snipers open fire and that's just 1 direction. The reason I made this post is because it does happen CONSTANTLY, and then thats supplemented with stealthers killing me another 25% of the time, I swear at this rate theres going to be nothing but infiltrators soon.

The motto of this game should just be "keep a pistol even on the toilet.. cos infiltrators are EVERYWHERE". And thanks to the stalker cloak and perfect invisibility when standing still its becoming more and more true.

Back to the main matter at hand... snipers encourage farming gameplay, if 1 side sports a army of snipers you CANNOT advance you'll be slaughtered so you need to pull a army of snipers, thus a snipe war starts and nobody moves for hours they just farm each other. The only way to stop a sniper army is air or tanks (obviously assuming they have non of their own).

If there was proper fronts snipers could work as you'd only be getting shot from 1 direction, but the way continents are done combined with stealth means snipers literally always completely encircle every fight so you basically can NEVER stop moving until you're in a building (and then you need to avoid every window and door like the plague). And its just made a billion times worse by the fact that every sniper stealths, locks on THEN unstealths and shoots so you can literally never tell when you're going to get shot even by looking around cos the guy who kills you will be invisible until the second you die.

Seriously... people who play snipers enjoy them but for the rest of us it just adds a huge layer of annoyance to the game, at the very least a sniper limit would help, or make it so they do no damage if they don't hit your head so some skill is required, while I do get fed up with the bull 1 shot kills while I'm sprinting I get more annoyed by being almost killed by 1 shot which hits me in the foot so 1 of the billion other snipers can hit me other foot for the kill, and of course as I said you can't stop to regain your shield when you get hit cos chances are theres 5 other snipers looking at you from every direction.
Old 2014-06-25, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

1) Long distance sniper headshots should act the same as a concussion grenade. Sniper gets 50xp, enemy is disoriented but not dead.

2) Vehicle module to add an anti-sniper field.

3) Engineer deploy-able cover, essentially a X2 scale turret only prevents weapons-fire.
Old 2014-06-25, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
War Barney
Sergeant Major

1. Snipers would never let that happen, their whole playstyle is based on getting kills while putting themselves at no risk they'd most likely quit playing before they let that happen sadly.

2-3 This could be cool actually, a protective field which doesn't stop shots coming from a shorter range but at say 100m+ the shots are destroyed by the field. You'd still get slaughtered while crossing open ground though unless it was added to a sundie or something so it could move but it would be cool to see.
Old 2014-06-25, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

If 50% of your deaths are from snipers - and its not your first week - then youre bad at FPS MMOs.

There are easy and obvious tactics and game play choices that keep you from being sniped regularly.
Old 2014-06-25, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
War Barney
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
If 50% of your deaths are from snipers - and its not your first week - then youre bad at FPS MMOs.

There are easy and obvious tactics and game play choices that keep you from being sniped regularly.
Care to elaborate? there is no magic tactics to avoid snipers asides from using vehicles 24/7, they surround every battle shooting non stop into it, the only defence is to NEVER stop moving ever and even then they still hit you a lot.
Old 2014-06-25, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Blynd
First Sergeant

I don't have an issue with snipers cause if they can hit me from range while I'm running then well done. I have an issue with infills with mcg's. On miller they are rife and it's beyond a joke. Run into a room get 1 shotted by infill hiding in corner, go back and be prepared for him and no he has c4'd the doorway, do I go back again or leave him for someone else??

This is the most op class, we don't have true infills like ps1 we have op star padding machines. The sniper element of the infill is Ok its the rest of his insane arsenal of weapons that he is allowed that make this class stupidly op.
Old 2014-06-25, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Boildown
Sergeant

Get a Harasser with Prox radar and farm them until they start spawning as something else.

Old 2014-06-25, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Gimpylung
Master Sergeant

What Blynd said. Cloakers with SMGs... seriously.
Old 2014-06-25, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

Thus more evidence for my theory that the BR system in Planetside 2 is just to show your progress on your evolution into an SMG infiltrator. There's a reason so many BR 100's play them.
Old 2014-06-25, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
War Barney
Sergeant Major

Well I didn't want to cover that kettle of fish as last time I tried I got jumped on as a casual noob who didn't know how to play... For what its worth though the close range infs are indeed worse... I spend my life wandering around with my pistol out but even then the darklight doesn't work well enough to make it worthwhile especially when they just unstealth and smg you dead in a second.

For my money the entire stealth mechanic has been done horribly, it lasts way to long and makes you FAR to hard to see except when sprinting, hell when standing still you actually have perfect invisibility now, combine that with very powerful 2-3 shot pistols and motion sensors and you have a god class... they don't even need the perma stealth really as the motion sensors let them know exactly when your coming so they can wait till then to turn on stealth.

Sadly I don't see this being balanced anytime soon... I really wish they would as I'm seeing way more infs than any other class as they are just amazingly useful in so many situations. In all out open battles they can snipe from miles off and in smaller battles they just stealth around slaughtering everybody.

Originally Posted by KesTro View Post
Thus more evidence for my theory that the BR system in Planetside 2 is just to show your progress on your evolution into an SMG infiltrator. There's a reason so many BR 100's play them.
lol so true, I have noticed a large % of the SMG infs I see are BR 100s, which m akes sense as its by far the best class in the game, the TTK is so low you hardly lose anything in survivability in a all out fight but stealth lets you get the drop on people and cross open ground without being shot which are both vital thing.

Theres times I wonder if soe knows full well theres HUGE balance issues but they don't have time to fix them as they keep trying to add new continents and other content. I'd happily have no new content for a year if they spent that year properly balancing the damn game. Theres only so long I can spend being bombarded by libs from orbit, then pull a skyguard to deal with them only to die in 2 seconds from a shredder...

Last edited by Ghryphen; 2014-06-25 at 06:37 PM.
Old 2014-06-25, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

Do you have plans to get good at the game?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion