Stealing vehicles - MMORPG interview - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where the computer watches you
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-07, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Krowser
Private

Stealing vehicles - MMORPG interview

I ready this little post about SOE's view on stealing vehicles:

Tramell Ray Isaac: Basically jacking? It’s up for debate right now. It’s two different camps inside the building. Like, “Do we want jacking? How do you advance if you jack somebody’s vehicle?” It’s all because the cert tree actually goes based on the vehicle that you currently have in your faction. If I go steal a Vanguard and I’m on VS side, what happens? That’s the debate right now internally; some people want it, some people don’t.

I think it's a great mechanic that should be included in the game. You can see this in all the other shooters but what's cool about Planetside is the situation in which a vehicle is stolen. In Battlefield, if some poor sap turns around at the wrong moment I jump in his tank and go on a rampage until someone blows me up. That's the only story about stealing vehicles.

But in Planetside... ahhhhhh..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could be driving alone, a long way from my base, in a harsh and empty desert. The only features being a patch of cacti and a cracked earth road, which I'm following to the nearest base. When suddenly, I hit a mine! BAM!

I stop the tank and hop out, my repair tool in hand. As I'm inspecting the damage I start to wonder why a single mine was hidden here, perhaps it was a remnant of a battle weeks ago.
Before I can finish this train of thought, a sniper takes his shot and plunks me.

He had been hiding for some time, between the cacti, waiting for a vehicle to pass by. His ride was destroyed long ago and he was stranded in this lonely desert.

Ya know! Something like that!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I think the best way to look at this is to implement it as it would happen in real life.

What I mean:

Let's say I'm used to driving Canadian tanks and I hop into a captured Russian tank. I'll know how to drive it, the basics are all the same. Gas, Brake, steering wheel, but if I see a button labelled Картофель пушки I won't know what the hell it's for and I probably won't be able to use it.

So to translate this into Planetside terms:

If I don't have a Medium Tank cert (Van/Prow/Mag), I can't drive a captured one. Simple enough.
If I have a cert and I do get a hold of another faction's tank, I can use all the basic features but the ''sidegrades'', as Higby called them, are unusable because they are advanced weaponry and I don't have the instruction manual. If the tank was in it's basic form I would have access to everything but anything different, any customisation is unavailable.

The real reason is because I'm not certified to use those weapons and it would be cheating (and silly) if I could use funky Vanu weapons while I can't even use my own faction's.

SOE, you know you're making a unique FPS game here, let's work to include as many unique features in here.
Old 2012-03-07, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
DayOne
Captain

Re: Stealing vehicles - MMORPG interview

I really don't see the issue with using common pool stuff if you are certed to use it. But if I'm a vanu tank driver and I come across an abandoned vanguard I just wont be able to use it.

However, if I were a vanu sundy driver and I come across an NC sundy then I don't see why I cant hop in and drive off. Only now I risk being blown to pieces by a passing scythe.
Old 2012-03-07, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Krowser
Private

Originally Posted by DayOne View Post
I really don't see the issue with using common pool stuff if you are certed to use it. But if I'm a vanu tank driver and I come across an abandoned vanguard I just wont be able to use it.

However, if I were a vanu sundy driver and I come across an NC sundy then I don't see why I cant hop in and drive off. Only now I risk being blown to pieces by a passing scythe.
It's because of the side upgrades. Let's say I have a pimped out Sunderer because I spent all my points on it and you steal it. Should you have access to all the extra features even though you don't have the certs?

Kind of unfair. Hence my suggestion.
Old 2012-03-07, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

In terms of game design *and* game balance, it would be easy enough to say that if you want to cap an enemy vehicle, you cannot make use of any of the unique certs that the driver who pulled it had. All the optional doo-dads simply vanish in a puff of liberated nanites that just lost their reason for being, and that includes any extra turrets, weapons, etc. on the outside.

In other words, if someone pulls up to a TR tower in a Vannie with an uberleet missile launcher on the turret, and I sneak outside in my geek suit and hack it, *and* I'm certed to drive a tank, I wind up driving a red-and-black Vanguard with no missile launcher. In the unlikely event that someone else hacks it back from me, they still have a plain vanilla Vannie. Paint jobs would be no more difficult to implement for hacked vehicles than they were ten years ago.

With regard to hacking enemy vehicle pads, they could simply say that when you hack something, you temporarily spoof it into thinking it's owned by your empire. So you could sneak into an enemy held base and start pulling your own fully-specced armor. Lulz galore.

There should be a place for the daring souls who care to attempt such feats of arms, and there should be incentive for them to try.

Bring back the hacker!
Old 2012-03-07, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I loved how a stolen Vanguard was treated like some kind of mascot in battles. I actually sacrificed my Magrider on a few occasions to protect a purple Vanguard just because I loved the idea of that thing rolling into battle to give the NC a taste of their own medicine. And it was nice to get a change of pace every now and then with another empire's vehicles, as long as it's not overdone like those 'all access' weekends.

There's various ways of solving the cert problems, in the worst case every hacked vehicle could just default to some standard variant. It may not be up to par with the other Vanguards out there, but it'll be purple
Old 2012-03-07, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

I agree with being able to steal vehicles.

It gives some unpredictability and value to certain vehicles on your side.
Old 2012-03-07, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DayOne
Captain

Originally Posted by Krowser View Post
I spent all my points on it and you steal it. Should you have access to all the extra features even though you don't have the certs?
Yes.
Old 2012-03-07, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Krowser
Private

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I loved how a stolen Vanguard was treated like some kind of mascot in battles. I actually sacrificed my Magrider on a few occasions to protect a purple Vanguard just because I loved the idea of that thing rolling into battle to give the NC a taste of their own medicine. And it was nice to get a change of pace every now and then with another empire's vehicles, as long as it's not overdone like those 'all access' weekends.

There's various ways of solving the cert problems, in the worst case every hacked vehicle could just default to some standard variant. It may not be up to par with the other Vanguards out there, but it'll be purple
Yeah, even if the tank is sub par because it's stolen, I don't care! I stole it! :P
Old 2012-03-07, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
DayOne
Captain

Also I think stolen vehicles should NOT be reskinned. You steal a fully pimped out enemy tank you should run the risk of being attacked by your own faction.
Old 2012-03-07, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Also, this can be used for diplomacy reasons.

"You want a cease fire? We want ten vanguards and seven reavers of these specifications."

Also I think stolen vehicles should NOT be reskinned. You steal a fully pimped out enemy tank you should run the risk of being attacked by your own faction.
That's a dumb idea.

Risk needs to have a point.

Last edited by VioletZero; 2012-03-07 at 03:52 PM.
Old 2012-03-07, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Synapses
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
Also, this can be used for diplomacy reasons.

"You want a cease fire? We want ten vanguards and seven reavers of these specifications."
lol +1
Old 2012-03-07, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
DayOne
Captain

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
That's a dumb idea.

Risk needs to have a point.
It has the point that you managed to steal something from the enemy. To be honest it probably wont happen as you mouse over an enemy and their name pops up in green.
Old 2012-03-07, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Well, there's no real reason not to reskin it when it is hacked.
Old 2012-03-07, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Jacking really was just a gimmick. Now and then you'd see a TR magrider or something and go: "Oh, that looks cool in black and red." The best it was ever good for was jacking parked AMSs now and then. That was its only significant contribution to the game. If they have hacking, well, that's fine, but if they don't, big loss. Its impact on the game was minimal and it could be essentially replaced by some kind of hacking sabotage ability that self-destructs or even "car bombs" enemy vehicles instead, giving hackers the ability to take out enemy vehicles without the mess TRay described.

Nah, this is a bad idea all around. The reason every side has distinct colours and shapes to their design scheme, and every class is easily recognizable, is because they want players to be able to tell at a glance what's going on. This would be contrary to their emphasis on making it easy to tell friend from foe and so on. Furthermore, it screws with people in a bad way because you can't see enemy/friend identifiers at range, so distinguishing between a hacked magrider versus a friendly magrider would be problematic and potentially cause team killing.

Which, before you say it, is not something they should encourage.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-03-07 at 03:59 PM.
Old 2012-03-07, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Krowser
Private

It has the point that you managed to steal something from the enemy. To be honest it probably wont happen as you mouse over an enemy and their name pops up in green.
It doesn't matter. PS is in the future. Every soldier on the battlefield is networked and the stolen tank will be flagged as friendly (or hostile). So sure, you can keep the paint job, the icon over your tank will still identify your faction.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion