The Best Joysticks for Planetside 2 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Planetcrack>Evercrack
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-27, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Zekeen
Major

Re: The Best Joysticks for Planetside 2

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
I played some ps1, and to me it really was not like flying at all. You pushed a button to go up. You pushed a button to go down. Another button to perform a premade kind of barrel roll. Basically flying in ps1 kinda felt dumbed down. Hopefully with a real physics engine flying in ps2 will feel a lot more natural and not like sliding on a rail. I really want to be able to perform some neat maneuvers that only a joystick can make seemless.
Have you not seen the air combat trailer? The movements of the aircraft look INCREDIBLE, they even have mid air momentum going (as in, when you turn hard, it looks like your craft is skiing on air, it's THAT smooth). They also show barrel rolls and all that. While VTOL in the sense that they can hover, craft are a LOT more precise (and difficult) now. A joystick will give you a hefty advantage over those people who think it'll be as easy as it was in PS1.
Old 2012-05-27, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Lol you need to reread my post brother.
Old 2012-05-28, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Lol you need to reread my post brother.
Maybe so, but it's probably more so because I'm still suffering from PTTD (Post Traumatic Trailer Disorder). Have you been able to unstick your jaw from the floor yet?
Old 2012-05-28, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Fuse
Sergeant

Honestly, I'd say a 360 Gamepad is a great option for most games. I grew up using a stick and pedals, but after playing BF3 on the 360 for a bit while building my new computer I've really grown comfortable with the gamepad. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. It depends on you, your gaming area, and the game. BF3 was designed with the pad in mind, so it makes sense that it works well on PC, but I've come to use it in some other games, too...

So long as it's nothing like a real flight sim, then it's back to the stick. Saitek is my personal brand of choice, but actually picking a stick depends a lot on what you want and will feel comfortable with. The choices are almost infinite.

We'll have to wait and see how PS2 handles. My one concern would be that it's much easier to use your keyboard and joystick than a keyboard and gamepad, and I always find my self needing to type or hit a macro.

Last edited by Fuse; 2012-05-28 at 02:34 AM.
Old 2012-05-28, 02:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Synical
Corporal

I would personally recommend the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro if you are dead set one using one. It's a great joystick for a great price. The Aviator by Saitek isn't bad either and it is similarly priced.

But like some people have said so far we don't know how the flight physics are going to work in PS2, so I would hold off on the purchase until launch.
Old 2012-05-28, 04:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Synical View Post
I would hold off on the purchase until launch.
Best bit of advice in this thread. ^^^ (OF beta)

PS1 flight wasn't flight you just drove a camera so you got to max turn and it stayed there. It was the very simplest of flight mechanics.

PS2 is full of flight just like a plane in terms of movement (not behaviour), hover will require constant adjust it will not just sit there. Mouse of joystick it comes to personal preference.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-05-28, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
bjorntju1
Captain

Yeah I am also thinking about buying an joystick. I hate flying with my mouse. In BF2 and 3 I always used my arrow keys. I also wanted to buy a joystick for BF3, but I don't play BF3 enough to justify a joystick. However I do want to buy one for PS2. I was thinking about the x52. However I first want to know if it works with PS2, so I'll wait for beta to see other peoples experience with it.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-05-28 at 05:17 AM.
Old 2012-05-28, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Well Im going to buy a new stick just because I can, and then I will either be behind the curve and pwnd like a newb or way out in front flying like a boss.
Old 2012-05-28, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

This is something I've been considering.. Never had any problem really flying in the original but with barrel rolls and loop the loops it might be a good idea to invest in one, but i think i will give mouse a try first and see if it feels like it hampers flying.
Old 2012-05-28, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Oryon22
First Sergeant

I'm considering this one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338216491.084747.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	522

$46 on Amazon

Old 2012-05-28, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
KiddParK
Contributor
Captain

i've got an old X-36 which has more buttons than i ever seem to need. But I'll be using a mouse and Nostromo N-52 for my left hand. Honestly, having piloted tons of craft in different games over the years and using sticks since my 2600 with the big red button, in a game like this I'll be sticking with a mouse as the crossover going back n forth between the two gets to be too much for me. Other people seem to handle it better.

although i do have a quite nice force feedback wheel... in wonder how a mag drives with it.... hmmmmm....

kp
Old 2012-05-28, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Oryon22 View Post
I'm considering this one:

Attachment 522

$46 on Amazon
Oh wow, that one looks handy for PS2. Didn't Totalbiscuit talk about having to constantly worry on hitting the vertical key to stay up? Lots of perfectly placed buttons on that one.
Old 2012-05-28, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Fenrys
Major

I'll be using a flight stick I picked up on sale for $18. It's got me through TIE Fighter, X-Wing, and Wing Commander: Privateer already, so I think it works well enough

Saitek 290 Pro

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-05-28 at 02:48 PM.
Old 2012-05-28, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Attackmack
Corporal

Speedlink has a very cheap VERY basic HOTAS called black widow:

http://www.speedlink.com/?p=2&cat=31...=2&produktlb=1

This is what i will be using, serves its purpose for less then most ordinary sticks and here you get a throttle aswell!
Old 2012-05-28, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

Your mouse is the most accurate joystick you will ever own.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion