Musical score? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you want to live forever
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-12, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
DManTech
Private

Re: Musical score?

I'm one of those who loved the music in PS1. I'd like to see some sort of remix of the original music in PS2, at least that song that was on the menu screen--hearing that now brings back a lot of memories.
Old 2012-03-12, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Fenrys
Major

The music was alright, but I turned it off so I could hear effects & TeamSpeak better.

I've still got a folder with all the various music in it, and it does evoke nostalgia.

But it's not exactly great music on its own. I'm far more likely to listen to the soundtrack of Fallout 3 or Elder Scrolls. Even sega genesis' Shadowrun and super nintendo's Final Fantasy 3 have tunes I'm more likely to play.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-03-12 at 04:28 PM.
Old 2012-03-12, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I loved PS1 contextual music. Taking a base, losing a base, gaining a level... etc...

Each one empire specific !

Great stuff.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-17, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

So does anyone know if Don Ferrone is back doing PS2 music? Any confirmation one way or the other?
Old 2012-03-18, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
megamold
Second Lieutenant

i would love the next big ps2 reveal to be the "theme song" to the game

i loved the music in ps1, in my mind it was really indicative of what the game was and stood for. it also perfectly conveyed the "feeling" you got from actually playing it.

for these reasons its one of the themes i can remember even all these years later.
honestly i dont really remember that many musical game scores to the note ( modern ones at least since we all know the mario theme )

simcity 4 had music i will remember and love till the day i die
diablo 2, same thing
Old 2012-03-18, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Unlike "drunken mess duke?" I have actually spoke to Mr Ferrone via youtube, and he has been kind enough to send me .AIFF's of what he sent to PS2's producers for some videos I have in the works at my request.

From what i gathered a few months ago he hasn't yet been contacted but who actually knows, he did say he loves the community support and that we all enjoyed PS1's tracks though.

I think PS1's well composed music and it's classical instrumentation with a modern twist made it universally likable, and certainly timeless in many ways, I would love to see it return.

Sadly, I really think that the current team has something else on it's mind in regards to music, and I don't think Ferrone is in their plans, especially taking into account some of the music we've already heard in the videos and trailers etc.

Compared to PS1 I've found those tunes a bit disappointing, honestly.

Last edited by RedKnights; 2012-03-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 2012-03-18, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

I will simply re-iterate.... I think this is in good - experienced - hands.

Old 2012-03-18, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

The music and how it was applied contextually was great in PS1. Never got bored - well, maybe the ishundar travel theme...

Actually, the all the tracks were ideal background musics. It has never distracted you, but still contributing to the atmosphere. No strong themes, no easy-to-remember riffs... I think it is the hardest part if a composer has to make a soundtrack.

Only empire themes may have strong characteristic (like the sanctuary themes), the rest must be remain in the background. And Mr. Ferrone succeded in this.

His track is heard during the lates interview with T-Ray too. SOE probably owns all the rights, but I'd so much love to think that they actually hired Ferrone to do the music for the sequel. There was no previous use of these tracks in the scarce PS2 videos. So let's just hope!
Old 2012-03-18, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Dreamcast
Major

Im not sure if great games makes it appear that the music is good or if good music makes games appear great.

But I gotta say that I loved the Planetside soundtrack, it was very damn good...My favorite games Shenmue, deus ex, and halo also had great soundtracks so I believe is essential for a good game.

The guy who made planetside music is apperantly working for planetside 2 but im not sure could be a troll

Check out the comments.
Old 2012-03-19, 05:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Ok. Im sorry Don, but I can't hold it in any longer.

I messaged Don a few weeks ago asking how the application process went, and got this in reply.

dfmuse:

"Hi They hired myself and Jeff Broadbent as the composers for Planetside 2. We are getting a budget for live orchestra and I'll be using key players that worked on Battlestar Galactica_Taikos,guitars and dudek. I am very excited!"
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-19, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by CidHighwind View Post

I messaged Don a few weeks ago asking how the application process went, and got this in reply.

dfmuse:

"Hi They hired myself and Jeff Broadbent as the composers for Planetside 2. We are getting a budget for live orchestra and I'll be using key players that worked on Battlestar Galactica_Taikos,guitars and dudek. I am very excited!"
Oh hell yes!

I was looking at the video of T-Ray in the recent interview and thought that music playing during the interview sounded like the samples Don did.

F'ing A!

I think this will be the best news for me until a beta invite arrives!
Old 2012-03-19, 05:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Nick
Corporal

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
I loved PS1 contextual music. Taking a base, losing a base, gaining a level... etc...

Each one empire specific !

Great stuff.
Indeed. There was a bunch of them.

-Sanctuary (One for each empire)
-Orbital Platform/HART (One for each empire)
-Victory (One for each empire)
-Loss (One for each empire)
-Promotion (One for each empire)
-Sphere of Influence Standard (One for each empire)
-Sphere of Influence Warning (One for each empire)
-Sphere of Influence Combat (One for each empire)
-Travel (One for each continent type)
-Combat (One for each continent type)

Also, main title had both an intro and a loop theme.
Old 2012-03-19, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Shogun
Contributor
General

boy this is nice!

don´s music was great. i played ps1 for at least 2 years without ever switching the music off. later i turned it down a little to ruin the day for those sneaky boomerlaying cloakers.

in movies the musical score and sound is as important as the video. and i am sure in videogames it´s of the same importance. especially if they do it like they did in ps1 again! the context sensitive music was a highlight and even affected gameplay because when the fight music started you knew you had to be aware of incoming enemys, and you knew when a base was captured without having to check the basecolor on the map all the time. it was great and rare ten years ago, and i am sure this will be as great today!

i hope don stays true to his work on ps1 and we veterans will get to recognise some old themes in the new music, just for the duckskin moments ;-)

there are some games and movies with music so great that it can bring back the same emotions even after years. planetside is one! as well as starwars, monkey island and starcontrol 2.

one of my greatest music-moments was a concert at a games convention in leipzig germany. they had a huge orchestra and played game-themes. starwars was no option for them because of copyright issues, but they played a lot of great things. from super mario to starship troopers and final fantasy. but my skin went all ducky when the jamaican steeldrum started the monkey island theme and the whole orchestra joined in. some planetside music would have been great, but i guess the game wasn´t popular enough.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-03-19, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by CidHighwind View Post

dfmuse:

Fcuk yeah!
Old 2012-03-20, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

AWESOME !

+1 for the PS2 team.

We your music Don !
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion