News: Some Info about Items from the Shop - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Are my quotes that bad? I must suck...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-10, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: Some Info about Items from the Shop

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
They said that a sub will offer you resources while not online, and yes thats resources, not cert points.

that was only in one interview though, could always be misinterpretation.
Sounds suspiciously like paying for power. Not that I personally care, but they apparently do, and others of a less tolerant mindset will scream when they put 2 and 2 together and realize thats a bunch of free resources every day when you log in.

Maybe.. Somehow 'Pay 2 Win' magically becomes far more acceptable once the purchase is labeled a 'subscription' instead of 'item store', as witnessed by the near universal approval of 'fodderside'.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-04-10 at 09:10 PM.
Old 2012-04-10, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by That one noob View Post
I, for one, am quite upset that I am going to have to waste resources in order to get my burrito.
Hey man.. EQ2 had the Pizza Hut thing.

Why can't PS2 have taco bell for station cash? COME ON!

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan
Old 2012-04-10, 11:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sardus View Post
Hey man.. EQ2 had the Pizza Hut thing.

Why can't PS2 have Chipotle for station cash? COME ON!
fixed
Old 2012-04-11, 05:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Ninetailed
Private

I'm honestly torn about the whole thing. On the one hand, the whole free-to-play-except-these-bits model has always bothered me somewhat, but at the same time there's a certain feeling of "shut up and take my money!" about Planetside.
Old 2012-04-11, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Qwan
Captain

Unless your working with SOE on how things are going to be set up, we shouldnt speculate on how there going to work out the pay system. We will only be sitting on this site pulling our hair out. I mean i understand the producers, artist and desiner interviews show this friendly happy go lucky group of guys talking about a F2P game, but when it comes down to it, SOE is all about making money. Lets keep it real, it cost money to do all the things that are required to make a good game. And like they said in one of the interviews, there intent is to offer more than one way to pay for PS2, weather it be monthly, item based or selling cosmetic stuff in the stores. SOE is going to try to get there money's worth. Me I hope they give a monthly payment option, I would prefer it that way, because to me thats a positive way of making money instead of sitting back hoping someone buys purple camo for there tank and a reflex site for there weapons. I just hope that when they do come out with a final set of rules for paying for stuff on planetside its plain and straight forward. I dont want to see this monthly payment players have this and this, but still have to fork over more cash just to get this and that. Well how ever they set it up i hope its doesnt turn into a pay to win type of system cause then, Ill just stick with BF3.

Last edited by Qwan; 2012-04-11 at 06:21 AM.
Old 2012-04-11, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Coreldan
Colonel

APB has it so that in addition to everything else you get with monthly premium, you also get 20% off the cash shop items, including the next premiums. So basically you only need to buy one full price premium and as long as you buy more before it runs out, you always get it at 20% discount.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-04-11, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
APB has it so that in addition to everything else you get with monthly premium, you also get 20% off the cash shop items, including the next premiums. So basically you only need to buy one full price premium and as long as you buy more before it runs out, you always get it at 20% discount.
That's some evil genius right there.
Old 2012-04-11, 07:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Coreldan
Colonel

Well, I guess the community doesnt know them as "Moneyfirst" for nothing

(if someone doesnt know, APB is run by Gamersfirst)

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-04-11, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Stardouser
Colonel

I assume that when you buy a sidegrade, or a cosmetic feature, it won't decay, you've got it permanently. How, then, are they going to have people buying this junk 3 years from now?
Old 2012-04-11, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

more, different, shinier junk.

Eve online sold a monocle for $65 USD and sold 141 of them in 6 months.

A monocle.

No stats, just a piece of eye candy.
Old 2012-04-11, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I assume that when you buy a sidegrade, or a cosmetic feature, it won't decay, you've got it permanently. How, then, are they going to have people buying this junk 3 years from now?
If it's successful, it should still be getting new players three years down the road. MMOs aren't like other games where their population peaks within 6 months (unless it's a bad MMO).
Old 2012-04-11, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Shogun
Contributor
General

there will be more shiny stuff every month or so.

and don´t forget, that there will be new players coming to the game all the time. while old veterans might already have enough stuff to stop paying for the game, they still use their shiny stuff ingame and make the noobs jelous, resulting in a lot of noobs buying stuff as well.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-04-11, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
If it's successful, it should still be getting new players three years down the road. MMOs aren't like other games where their population peaks within 6 months (unless it's a bad MMO).
Right, but I'm kind of hoping the game will be good enough that all of the guys there at day 1 will still be playing 3+ years out. Once they've bought everything, how do they continue to pay their share of the server overhead?
Old 2012-04-11, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Right, but I'm kind of hoping the game will be good enough that all of the guys there at day 1 will still be playing 3+ years out. Once they've bought everything, how do they continue to pay their share of the server overhead?
they have paid enough by then.
they will pay indirectly by drawing new players in (after all the veterans contribute content to the game) and they wear their nifty badass sold stuff and golden guns, to make the noobs buy this stuff as well.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-04-11, 07:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
GhundiPI
Private

While great that the power adding and playstyle items are available for ingame resources (though for the playstyle items it really depends on how high the resource cost is), I'm still very much an opponent to the existence of items like resource/xp boosts. In a game like PS2 players prepared to pay for those (continually) will create an advantage over those who are not. Take for example an outfit of which every member permanently uses resource/xp boosts. This outfit will be ahead on the power curve due to an advantage in their cert diversity (initially though, as this will eventually water down), access to more vehicles (more resources) and power adding items.

Now one can argue that if people are willing to pay for it, they 'deserve' the advantage. But in my opinion it is against the spirit of a game like PS2 where people are meant to be judged on their skill and faction balance can be precarious. Still I could be overreacting so I'll reserve final judgement for release (and after), but I have seen some PvP heavy games where seemingly small purchasable advantages did have a large overall impact.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion