News: The Lightning First Look! [[Updated] Images]] - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You must suck at the internet.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-27, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #211
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: The Lightning First Look! [Updated]

Damn, look at that fucking bridge. We've already seen how awesome it is, but I believe this is the closest look we've gotten. Makes me want to spend all of my time fighting in bridge battles now.

Oh and the tank scale. Right. That's cool too

But seriously, I love comparison shots. Just puts everything in perspective.

Edit: Lol at the Prowler barely being able to fit. "Shove over, fatty."

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-04-27 at 06:23 PM.
Old 2012-04-27, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #212
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: The Lightning First Look! [Updated]

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Holy shit it's tiny. O.o
I mean that's great, it's perfect. But what is with all of the difficulty we seem to have figuring out the scale of things in screenshots?

Just noticed the Light Assault for size comparison. Numberless black gods the Vanguard is a huge tank.
Old 2012-04-27, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #213
Robotix
Private

Re: The Lightning First Look! [[Updated] Images]]

Should have fit the Sunderer into that pic for comparison. Then it would have been perfect.
Old 2012-04-27, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #214
Xyntech
Brigadier General

dmaix: @mhigby So if the Vanny ran the Lighting over, what happens in game? The Lighting model gets squished and becomes disabled?
mhigby: @dmaix It's very similar to this: http://youtu.be/rhIIQe63VDo Except add in some explosions.
Wait, since the Magrider hovers, will it be unable to crush Lightnings?

OMG NERF, THE VANGUARD IS OVERPOWERD, FUCKING NC!

I'd have no problem if the Magrider was unable to crush vehicles, so long as we get the Magmower back.

Sure the Vanguard can run over infantry as well, and the Prowler will even be faster than the Magrider to chase them down, but I think all victims of the original Magmower will attest that the strafing ability of the Magrider made it numero uno in the roadkill department.
Old 2012-04-27, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #215
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

still though, even with the size comparison. I still think the lighting front end needs to be cut a little. Individually the lighting looks weird.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-04-27, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #216
nathanebht
Sergeant

Thanks for the comparison shot devs! Still think the Lightning front end is too long. Its longer than the Prowler. The Prowler is looking too short and stubby.

Think your worrying too much about each of the tanks having distinctive silhouettes.
Old 2012-04-27, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #217
dobs
Private

not entirely sure how much i like the fact that its the best ground to air weaponry.
I liked the skyguard (or however that fast as hell 2 man flak jeep was called in ps1) quite alot.
Anyways... give me my Marauder!
Old 2012-04-27, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #218
Raka Maru
Major

Everyone seems to forget this is running in a physics engine. The track placement and length are for a reason. Scaling slopes and such will be radically different when the tracks are closer together (shorter body).

I personally like it as it is, and am wanting to trick it out with various guns. If people keep screaming for a stubby lightning, let them bring it to the chop (cash) shop for mods.
Old 2012-04-27, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #219
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

looks good, although i would still like the magrider turret up top
Old 2012-04-27, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #220
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
A thought just popped in my head about it's length. Though I agree with the few that like it, it does pose a pretty big flaw... You're not going to be able to poke your head out of cover and shoot. You are going to have to expose two-thirds of the tank to get a shot off in any urban areas or around canyon walls, ect. (unless you go in ass first)
LOL creeping forward ass-first in my Lightning was actually an oft-used PS1 tactic of mine if I thought I'd have to make a quick retreat or had little room to maneuver (like a bridge or base cy). I'm sure I'll do the same with it in PS2.

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
You can't be serious. Keep marching on with removing any need for forethought or preparedness. If you point at it, and fire, it should just die right? Can we please stop with the lowest common denominator PLEASE.
I'm guessing the flak will behave like the old Skyguard's where its slow muzzle velocity will force you to actually lead you targets, so simple point-and-click won't cut it. No LCD there.

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
I don't mind it being so long (that's what she...) personally. It will be fast, so making it easier to hit silhouette-wise makes a lot of sense, in terms of balance.
No, the lower armour and lack of a dedicated gunner are the balancing factors. IMO It shouldn't be deliberately made easier to hit as well as that defeats much of the purpose of being fast to begin with.

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post

Could the devs BE any more awesome?
Yes, they could give it back its coaxial LMG.

Seriously though, awesome speedy response from the Devs at catering to our whims as usual. You guys R0000L!

Originally Posted by Saintlycow View Post
looks good, although i would still like the magrider turret up top
HELLS YEAH! If they offered a Rail Gun as an unlock for the VS Lightning I'd probably never drive anything else! They said each empire would get their own ES weapon unlocks for common pool vehicles, so we can always hope...!

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-04-27 at 09:56 PM.
Old 2012-04-27, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
HELLS YEAH! If they offered a Rail Gun as an unlock for the VS Lightning I'd probably never drive anything else! They said each empire would get their own ES weapon unlocks for common pool vehicles, so we can always hope...!
I was more referring to your sig, but hey, having a laser lightning would be sweet!
Old 2012-04-27, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #222
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

I can't help but laugh at how small that soldier is compared to the Vanguards Main gun. That is just awesome and scary as hell at the same time.

Old 2012-04-27, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #223
ratfusion
Corporal

Re: The Lightning First Look!

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Not really a fan. It does not take enough from the original. It also looks a lot like the other tanks ( IE: Modern tank designs )

Thanks for the SS.

What I like about the original design is that it looks light... like a light tank named the lightning should. The design looks mass produced, like common pool should. It looked like it could feasibly exist in massive quantities.

I don't get the same feel from the new one.
Old 2012-04-28, 12:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #224
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I'd have no problem if the Magrider was unable to crush vehicles, so long as we get the Magmower back.

Sure the Vanguard can run over infantry as well, and the Prowler will even be faster than the Magrider to chase them down, but I think all victims of the original Magmower will attest that the strafing ability of the Magrider made it numero uno in the roadkill department.
...and they call our AirCav a "scythe", just Fn wait til I get my hands on that MagRider, they are going to nickname me fucking "TERRAFIRMINATOR!"...

RUN, you little bastards...

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 2012-04-28, 04:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #225
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

Look at that bridge, gonna be some good fights for it, Devs should make it so you can capture it, so people have to fight on it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion