EVE Online - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The world is going to end soon. Get wasted and enjoy life.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion > EVE Online Discussion

Old 2011-08-17, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
xmodum
Colonel

Re: EVE online.

So Peacemaker, I see my original character Xmodum has been in a noob corp for 3 years, still using him? I'd love to have him back xD
Old 2011-08-18, 02:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by xmodum View Post
I thought it was gonna be an xbox game! GAHH!
Microsoft gave the middle finger to cross platform. It was very Apple of them.

Old 2011-08-18, 02:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
xmodum
Colonel

Oh nice. Haven't kept up with that stuff for a while.
Old 2011-08-19, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

I tried to play again with one of those 5 day retrials and my computer kept crashing trying to create my avatar....I took it as a sign.

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
Old 2011-08-20, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

EVE's fun but I can't take it for too long. I usually get really excited and it carries me for a few months then... just.. eh.

My corp's been in a stupid war for a month and I haven't cared to log in for more than skill clicking. Astrometrics 5 ends the 22nd, not sure what I'll do when I log in to fill the queue. Probably unsubscribe again.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-08-20, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Microsoft gave the middle finger to cross platform. It was very Apple of them.
Have they? Or are they just watching how that model works out before they attempt it?
Old 2011-08-20, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Crator
Major General

Oh, just noticed, there's an EVE Online sub-forum under General Gaming Discussion.
Old 2011-08-20, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

im on from time to time. TigersmithV2 is my name on there. I also have 2 other accounts Tigersmith and Tigersmithv3
Old 2011-08-20, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

I felt like the best part of that game was clicking new skills to train, getting a nice ship together then looking at it. All the background stuff was great. It was the actual game play itself I couldn't stand. I must have spent a solid 2 days flying around and putting together this really solid mining ship and this awesome loaded out Kestrel for mission running, then ran a few missions and got bored. Went and did some mining, got bored. Then some asshole flipped my can, I came back in my Kestrel and got whooped.

Haven't been back since. Screw that game.
Old 2011-08-20, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

That's because PVP isn't about clicking the buttons to shoot the guns. You gotta actually pilot your ship well to do good. My BIGGEST problem with EVE is that every single fight you end up in is almost ALWAYS stacked against you. You almost never have a situation where one team has 10 ships and another has 11 and the two gangs have a go at it. Its simply too easy to run away in that game till you have 20 guys against 11 ships. Then the other side runs away till THEY have 30 ships. You then have one of three things happen, one team runs away, one team member gets unlucky and its a 30 on 1 gank, or finally big 200 man fleets form and jocky for 6 hours to get a perfect situation that never comes and everyone logs off after night have a fight.

I really wish they found a way to cause people to WANT to fight in smaller groups. Fleet fights are fun, but the chances of surviving are random. Player skill comes down to the Fleet commanders skills combined with being able to warp out in time when your called as a target. Your actions are usually part of a larger whole and less reliant on individual skill (not SP, skill at playing). What I'd love to see is incentive for gangs of 10 or so to engage in battle on a more regular basis, and for those gangs to have limiting factors so that all 10 ships are not the omfgbbqthatass ownage ship of the times. Force players to bring T1 ships using a point system where a certain ship is worth more points and the gangs are limited by a max point spread.

Yes this violates one of the ideals of EVE, that the players can do what they want how they want and in any scale they want. I feel like it would bring more Pew Pew on a more frequent basis that didn't leave you feeling like you dropped the soap in a Russian Max Security, or like that hot girl next door that you've been working on for the past 3 months who turns out to be a worse lay than your hand. It would also provide for noobs in frigs to fight more often in a more active roll, and individual actions would be magnified so that "*YOU* just won that for us" is possible.
Old 2011-08-21, 03:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Peacemaker View Post
My BIGGEST problem with EVE is that every single fight you end up in is almost ALWAYS stacked against you. You almost never have a situation where one team has 10 ships and another has 11 and the two gangs have a go at it. Its simply too easy to run away in that game till you have 20 guys against 11 ships. Then the other side runs away till THEY have 30 ships. You then have one of three things happen, one team runs away, one team member gets unlucky and its a 30 on 1 gank, or finally big 200 man fleets form and jocky for 6 hours to get a perfect situation that never comes and everyone logs off after night have a fight.
I think you're right about it being too easy to run away but by that I mean there's no reason to stay and fight when it's 10 on 11. Even the Art of War talks about using caution against similar strength opponents until you have the upper hand and victory is assured. Great military strategy but lame gameplay. I think all the time ships mean something to players then this is going to happen, it's one of the double edged swords of EVE Online.

Perhaps if corporations and alliances had things which were attackable by small gangs then it'd be worth defending with a small gang until backup arrives... otherwise it won't be there (or won't be yours) before your gang of 30 finally turns up. I've not really paid much attention to the nullsec changes so I don't know if this sort of thing features, but I know it's been brought up in developer conversation a few times in the past.
Old 2011-08-21, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Crator
Major General

If I'm not mistaken, the real fighting is supposed to occur by really big player corporations. That have many people as members with many different roles. If you have this then you can gather enough resources and generate enough equipment to constantly have your fleet in order and attacking other big rival corps all the time. Even then I don't think it's action all the time.
Old 2011-08-21, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

You'd be surprised. Several people from PSU have played EVE for a long long time. I started back in 03/04 when battleships were as rare as Titans. The wars waged in that game are of an epic scale and when ships start blowing up corps, and alliances make it seem like they have an infinite supply of ships and men to throw into the fray. There's always action to be found if you know where to look.
Old 2011-08-21, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Nephilimuk
Master Sergeant

PM me if your ever bored and I can help anyone with Amarr or Caldari standings. I have a 45mil sp alt in a noob corp which i use for isk making.

I don't play much at the moment due to babies and the game is a time sink. But other than PS it is the one game that has kept me hooked for a long long time. Put the time in it is rewarding though my first Titan kill was an epic online moment from planning to execution.
Old 2011-08-24, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
xmodum
Colonel

Re: EVE Online

Well I got my original character Xmodum back, with Peace's help (Thanks alot mang. 14mill SP not lost hurray!). And went to Otalieto in my Drake to pick up some stuff before moving to Tash-Murkon where my buddy who is new was doing missions, to help him. Well, I forgot about little Aunenen xD Yea, Pirate gank. And podded. Great first 15 minutes back in my character honestly. Got some good hits back on the cruiser but I didn't last long in a PvE fit. It was refreshing.

Then ended up flying through Jita, figured I'd throw a salute out to the thousands in the system for old time sake. Then out of no where some guy sent me a couple bil isk and said "I quit"......

Probably the best first half hour back in the game I could imagine, some PvP, and becoming rich be pure luck. Anyways. Anyone wants to chill and shit I'm just doing missions in Tash-Murkon with my char Xmodum, I'd love to play with some PSU members.

Trying to figure out me and my buds future in the game, He's hooked, we havn't stopped playing for almost a full week now, every spare chance we get we're on mission running or something. In some newbie mining corp helping them out with a war, most are only a few months old. But I wanna get back into null space fun.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion > EVE Online Discussion