News: Further preview article from PCGamer - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Tell your bitch to be cool
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-02, 05:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Mod
Master Sergeant

Further preview article from PCGamer

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this on the forums yet, but apologies if they have.

Appears PCGamer have been busy and posted up another PS2 preview article. You can read it here.

An interesting point I saw was:
Pick one of PlanetSide 2’s skills and it’ll be queued to learn. Log off, and you’ll continue studying how to attach longer range scopes to your Bolt-Driver sniper rifle, get better at hacking enemy vehicles, or another one of the game’s multitude of skills.
I wonder if we can take that as confirmation that we will still be able to hack vehicles (as I believe this has been questioned before) or whether the author of the article has just made an assumption based on the original PS?

Anyways, nice to still see new articles popping up
Old 2012-01-02, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Justaman
Staff Sergeant

Re: Further preview article from PCGamer

Originally Posted by Mod View Post
I don't think anyone else has mentioned this on the forums yet, but apologies if they have.

Appears PCGamer have been busy and posted up another PS2 preview article. You can read it here.

An interesting point I saw was:

I wonder if we can take that as confirmation that we will still be able to hack vehicles (as I believe this has been questioned before) or whether the author of the article has just made an assumption based on the original PS?

Anyways, nice to still see new articles popping up
I remember somewhere that it was said that they were not going to have vehicle hacking because of the huge increase in memory requirements. (every vehicle would need 3 variations)

Pretty sure this guys just making some stuff up as he goes along. He has the gist of whats there, just doesn't know the specifics like us hungry, frothing, nose pressed against the refresh button, fan boi's/goil's. And since he's played PS1, he's just assuming things.

Oh and btw EDIT:
SOE plans to include a subscription model for those who fancy access to what Matt calls ‘premium features

Last edited by Justaman; 2012-01-02 at 06:04 AM.
Old 2012-01-02, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Coreldan
Colonel

Devs confirmed hacking vehicles is out, so I'd trust that more. Perhaps they didnt know that and just took examples from PS1.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-01-02, 05:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SKYeXile
Major General

SOE have a premium sub option for all their F2P games, no surprise there.

Im more interested in the resource and offline levelling, by the sounds of that they dont have it fully down yet. I do hope they have the gaining of resources sorted properly so it cant be exploited by any means and they're not tradeable.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-02, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Justaman View Post
I remember somewhere that it was said that they were not going to have vehicle hacking because of the huge increase in memory requirements. (every vehicle would need 3 variations)
I thought the reason was because of time needed to spend creating the in-game models/graphics for the hacked vehicles, or am I thinking about the enter/exit vehicle animations?

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
SOE have a premium sub option for all their F2P games, no surprise there.
Yeah, they really couldn't have an All Access subscription level if that were the case... (unless the game wasn't a part of All Access)...
Old 2012-01-02, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Shogun
Contributor
General

my speculation about the premium subscription:

a longer queque on skill learning (freeplayers can only set one skill that gets offline training and have to log in when it´s ready to set up a new one, premiums can chain them)

bigger inventorys for premiums (very unfair for an fps, but on other mmo´s it´s very common)

ressourcegathering bonus like higher gathering rate or a fixed ressource gift every month

veteran bonuses like special armors or weapons (hopefully just cosmetic)

xp bonus like +20% per kill

special titles, merits, medals or other showoff stuff.

on other games there are often chat restrictions for freeplayers, that are lifted for premiums, but this would totally suck for a teambased fps.
Old 2012-01-02, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ailos
Contributor
Major

I would expect the hacking to be more along the lines of "hack into the weapons system to fuck with the magrider's targeting system or propulsion system" than hacking to gain control of; i.e. the cloaker's alternative to a jammer.

I would also expect the "premium" subscription to be in several levels:
  • Like someone mentioned, the free level includes learning only one offline skill at a time, limited inventory space, and possibly a level cap or a skill cap. (Like for instance, you can't progress your commander learning skill beyond a Platoon Leader.)
  • Cash-shop customer level would be achieved with your first purchase from the cash shop, like in TF2. You get some premium benefits, like added locker space, skill queueing, and maybe the limits on your skills get pushed back somewhat.
  • Subscriber-level is achieved and maintained with purchasing a monthly subscription that gives you all the benefits of the Cash-shop level, plus, maybe a slight bonus on the speed with which you learn skills, or maybe you can have more soldiers, and maybe a monthly trickle of Station Cash. This level would basically be designed for us lot, all of us that trawl these forums, and scour the interwebs for news of PlanetSide.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2012-01-02 at 10:20 AM.
Old 2012-01-02, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Notified the Blue guy. Propably have more info in a few hours. :>
Old 2012-01-02, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ARosaria
Private

Only thing I really need is my superior fighting skill and that's not a skill that you put on a slot, log off, and it gets better.
Old 2012-01-02, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Vash02
Major

Hacking vehicles does not neccesarily mean jacking vehicles. it could just mean screwing their control systems, slowing the fire rate, etc.
Old 2012-01-02, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mod
Master Sergeant

That is true, more along the lines of the TREK functionality than the REK possibly.

Regarding the premium features, things like a small amount of station cash per month and longer offline skill queues I could easily see as possible incentives.
Old 2012-01-02, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Shogun
Contributor
General

yepp, the free stipend of cash-shop currency is a very common thing, too!
to be able to get those shop exclusive bunny suits or viking helmets ;-)

i hope the cosmetic items in the shop are a little more in line with the planetside theme, though. more like a cigarette pack on the helmet than bathing suits or fluffy tribble-guns.
Old 2012-01-02, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
Hacking vehicles does not neccesarily mean jacking vehicles. it could just mean screwing their control systems, slowing the fire rate, etc.
Good point. In any way, its gonna be good
Old 2012-01-02, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Shogun
Contributor
General

some new options for electronical cyberwarfare wouldn´t hurt.
Old 2012-01-02, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Cannot wait!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion