News: Further preview article from PCGamer - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm drunk, how about you?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-02, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Re: Further preview article from PCGamer

They have said we can't hack enemy vehicles, but only responding to the question of driving/flying enemy vehicles. I suspect we'll still be able to hack a gunner seat, a nice cloaker trick
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-01-02, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Whoknowswhat1
Corporal

Misc Info

Does it really matter what the incentives are for the subscription model, i'm gonna sub just because the game is good. if i get shit for subbing, thats just fine by me

Mess with the best, Die like the rest
Old 2012-01-02, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Zulthus
Colonel

What ^^^ he said. I don't even want extra shit, I'll pay a sub anyway. This is PlanetSide 2!!!
Old 2012-01-02, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SKYeXile
Major General

But im already subbed...

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-02, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Espion
Staff Sergeant

Would be great to see REKs back in the game. Not being able to hack vehicles really would have sucked
Old 2012-01-02, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
EVILoHOMER
Major

I'm not a fan of timed based training, it pissed me off in EVE and as this is a game about skill I'd want to be rewarded for playing the game. You know let me get better at piloting a vehicle or hacking by doing that.... I'll have to wait and see but I don't like the idea as I hated it in EVE.

I'm not bothered by the subscription as I was prepared to subscribe anyways, I just hope SOE learn from Valve when doing an online store. I don't want them giving faster training time items or actual weapons and armour that makes you OP. Just sell things like Hats and weapons that mostly just look different. The genius of the weapons in TF2 is they do have a different function, yet they have just as big of a penalty.
Old 2012-01-02, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Espion
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
You know let me get better at piloting a vehicle or hacking by doing that....

That's how it works...
Old 2012-01-02, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Whoknowswhat1
Corporal

Misc Info

I'm not a fan of timed based training, it pissed me off in EVE and as this is a game about skill I'd want to be rewarded for playing the game. You know let me get better at piloting a vehicle or hacking by doing that.... I'll have to wait and see but I don't like the idea as I hated it in EVE.
I thought the time based training was bad at first too. After I thought about it for a while, I came with this conclusion:

Its a way to keep players within a margin of the skill curve, if they have work, school, or other things they have to attend to. For example; this past summer i was playing EVE, and my area was hit with a tornado(here in Massachusetts, they happen every couple of decades, so we were completely unprepared), Micro-burst, and a blizzard in October My power was out for a total of 27 days. I couldn't play, but I was somewhat comforted by the fact that my skills were still training. In Planetside 2, people will be rewarded for playing, and not punished for not playing. I agree its not the ideal system for skills, but its one to keep players in the game to get new skills, and if they want to add more, they can just add skills.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest
Old 2012-01-02, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Shogun
Contributor
General

I'm not bothered by the subscription as I was prepared to subscribe anyways, I just hope SOE learn from Valve when doing an online store. I don't want them giving faster training time items or actual weapons and armour that makes you OP. Just sell things like Hats and weapons that mostly just look different. The genius of the weapons in TF2 is they do have a different function, yet they have just as big of a penalty.
to your first point: matt already told us, that there are two training modes. when you play the game you get rewarded with faster training, and when you are not playing, you get the slower offlinetraining. so it´s like the best of both worlds. there´s no info yet, if you can boost your training time by actually using the weapon you are actually training a skill for. or if it will just be a reward for being online.

to your second point: matt and smed told us more than once, that they don´t want to sell any overpowered weapons. and that they are aiming for sidegrades instead of upgrades. that sounds exactly like in teamfortress 2. advantage on a weaponaspect always comes with the cost of another weaponstat.
Old 2012-01-02, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
DeadlyButters
Private

god damn looks like the f2p will be like DCUO (aka shit) by the sounds of what ppl on this forum want to be included for the subscription model. I want to play this game badly but i wont be able to afford a monthly subscription so the f2p part is what im looking at carefully!!
Old 2012-01-02, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

http://twitter.com/#!/mhigby/statuse...10279997476864

In short: We may have it for release, we may have it later.

We shall lobby for a release/after release addition.
Old 2012-01-02, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
CutterJohn
Colonel

studying how to attach longer range scopes to your Bolt-Driver sniper rifle
Gah.. I really, really hate unlocks like this. Seriously? I have to be trained to figure out how to put a scope on a rifle? I managed that on my own at age 12 when I got a .22 for christmas.

Anyone know what happens to your character in a premium subscription if you stop paying the subscription? One of the things I love the f2p model for is that it just makes life easy. You play the game when you feel like it, and don't have to worry about paying since you've already paid.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-01-02 at 10:22 PM.
Old 2012-01-03, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
EVILoHOMER
Major

I know what SOE say but what they do is always different, there will be a time when they introduce an item on the store and the whole community goes mad. With SOEs track record they'll never fix the problem lol. EQ2 "F2P" hasn't proved to be the case because you HAVE to pay and it ends up costing more than the subscription to get basic functionality out of it. This doesn't bother me personally because I'll subscribe but it wouldn't surprise me if to get past a certain level you'll have to pay...

The whole training thing will train "faster" but it'll still be time based and you'll only accelerate that time. What worries me is by how much will I be restricted by this? Can I really make it that much faster? Or will it just be like a multiplier and I'll feel restricted by the whole system because I want to progress at my skill. I don't want the system to restrict me so that players who aren't as good don't feel left behind.

Just my concerns and I think they're just, I'm really excited for Planetside 2 but after SOEs past I'm gonna have to question everything.
Old 2012-01-03, 02:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
kklkit
Private

As opposed to PS2 , neither EQ2 nor DCUO was meant to be a F2P game in the first place. Native F2P games have a very strong advantage that their player progress systems are tailored to the F2P model. For native subscription based MMOs, when switching to F2P model, many compromises were made (cutting core features from free users) so as to increase paying incentives for the players.

That guy from extra credits has nailed it:
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/microtransactions

Really worth watching for both developers and players to better understand what micro-transaction should be and could be.
Old 2012-01-03, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
DeadlyButters
Private

yea tht episode was good the devs should be watching some of those cause he has some great ideas and knows his stuff.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion