SgtMAD
Captain

Re: SOE Layoffs and Studio Closures

I feel bad for the ppl being laid off,this is a bad time to find a new job
Old 2011-03-31, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Aractain
Major

So like we all expected, PSN around august to november? Im glad that SOE is actually concentrating on trying to make good games for a change (which seems to come at the cost of peoples jobs; it does sucketh).
EQ and PS were their strongest IPs (Planetside is not a very 'good' game... but the IP is far stronger than The Agency which seemed like some kiddie spy game to most people, I think?).

Im actually interested in what they do with EQ3 too which is odd since Guild Wars 2 will (probably) win every MMO crown there is for me.
Old 2011-03-31, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Hey, id rather wait alittle longer than forever longer. bittersweet news, PSN is "confirmed" but 200ish people lost their jobs
Old 2011-03-31, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sifer2
Major

I think they made the right decision. Since I was not very excited for the Agency it didn't seem like something that would be that popular. I think Planetside Next has the potential to be a bigger hit than it would have been.

Of course its unfortunate people got layed off but that's pretty much how the game industry works. Whenever a project is cancelled or finished a lot of people get transferred or let go. They usually don't have much trouble getting hired at another studio I think.

In any case its good news actually for Planetside Next to know its getting more resources. It being delayed until later in the year isn't even a surprise for me. Who really expected it to be surprise launched with no advertising?
Old 2011-03-31, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Miir
Malvision

I would have liked this announcement better if EQ wasn't used in the same sentence as Planetside. They need to focus their resources on the future and not the past.

In a VS kind a way.
Old 2011-03-31, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

This is indeed bitter sweet. I'm glad they have told us though. Some info is great.
Old 2011-03-31, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
I would have liked this announcement better if EQ wasn't used in the same sentence as Planetside. They need to focus their resources on the future and not the past.

In a VS kind a way.
But Everquest Next IS the future...
Old 2011-03-31, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

I don't mind waiting a little longer. Better than them trying to throw something together poorly and rush it out the door. If the wait means we get a better product out the gate I'm all for it. How often does a game release to meet some deadline, doesn't live up to it's billing then looses almost all it's base within a few months? AoC is a stark reminder of why you don't push an unfinished game out.
Old 2011-04-01, 03:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Canaris
Contributor
General

Always sad to hear about job losses, hope those affected come thru okay.
Glad to hear PS is still on track. As others have said Bittersweet seems to be the best term.
Old 2011-04-01, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Woo Soo excited now everyone I thought it would be time to hang up the planetside next hope. But they scrapped the AGENCY wooz. Cant wait!
Old 2011-04-03, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Straws
Corporal

Originally Posted by HtSgtMAD View Post
I feel bad for the ppl being laid off,this is a bad time to find a new job
Same.

I'm trying to look at all the bright sides though. This downsizing is hopefully a sign that SOE has identified that it over reached with it's product range and development.

You can almost guarantee that the sites that have been shut down will be sending their staff to the remaining SOE locations and assisting on concentrating on their products a bit more after release.

Always a shame when a game is cancelled, but I never had faith in an MMO that's a new/original IP. It's very dangerous, and I think Blizzard will discover this too if it turns out that Titan isn't based on an existing franchise.

Anyway, The Agency is dead, long live Planetside. Now let's finally get some concentrated awesome out of SOE that truely hasn't been seen for 8 years.
Old 2011-04-11, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Plissket
Private

Originally Posted by NivexQ View Post
But Everquest Next IS the future...
For some people, but to be honest from what I've seen of it is not going to move me from Everquest 2. Graphically EQNext looks too cartoony to me and appears to be much more lightweight then EQ2, and at the EQNext seminar it seems that gameplaywise its not bringing anything really new in.

I'd rather see them put the resources into what they have already with EQ2, rather then reinvent the wheel with EQNext, although I guess (despite the claim EQNext will be PC only) I'm guessing a PS3 launch will be on the cards, since its based on a modified free realms engine.

I'm hoping though that PSNext will be a solid game with truly advanced graphics, looking around the basics of a good FPS are not hard to figure out.

All PSNext has to do is add the massive part to it and I think it'll be awesome.
Old 2011-04-13, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Plissket View Post
For some people, but to be honest from what I've seen of it is not going to move me from Everquest 2. Graphically EQNext looks too cartoony to me and appears to be much more lightweight then EQ2, and at the EQNext seminar it seems that gameplaywise its not bringing anything really new in.

I'd rather see them put the resources into what they have already with EQ2, rather then reinvent the wheel with EQNext, although I guess (despite the claim EQNext will be PC only) I'm guessing a PS3 launch will be on the cards, since its based on a modified free realms engine.

I'm hoping though that PSNext will be a solid game with truly advanced graphics, looking around the basics of a good FPS are not hard to figure out.

All PSNext has to do is add the massive part to it and I think it'll be awesome.
I meant to say Everquest NEXT is IN the future. It was a fact not an opinion, sorry about that lol
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions