Cert Changes - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: My other car is a tank
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-15, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Cert Changes

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...changes.19352/

Originally Posted by Nak
Two major changes:

1. Many of the permanent locked certs are being added to the game and will be unlocked soon
2. The way cert points are earned and spent will be undergoing a lot of balance changes in the next few updates.

The first thing we did was shut off the cert points that were being given over time to everyone, which was a legacy feature from a different plan that we had discarded a while ago.

Cert points are now earned (actually they were earned even from before, but it wasn't as noticeable with all the offline certs). 1000 xp should equal 1 cert point.

We'll be adjusting cert point prices in the near future and possibly the cert point per xp value, so please bear with us if there are any major glaring bugs while we're updating everything - we'll try to get the transition over with as soon as possible.
Can't wait, all those locked certs sound amazing(based on the descriptions).
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geist; 2012-09-15 at 09:19 AM.
Old 2012-09-15, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Cert Changes

Its mean linking into forums some of us dont have access to.
(which is in itself mean considering I'm a PS2 vet w/o an invite but with 2 old accounts)
Old 2012-09-15, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
SixShooter
Captain

It's nice to know how it actually works now. Time to go farm some XP

Old 2012-09-15, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Getting the news from the forums to the twitter feed. Thanks for that, Geist!
Old 2012-09-15, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Kipper
Captain

Makes much more sense to actually have to play to earn the certification points imho.

I didn't get the whole "offline cert" thing, as it doesn't encourage you to play better or reward you for doing so - and not having certs doesn't stop you from squadding with friends who do, it just makes you slightly less powerful/versatile.
Old 2012-09-15, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by IMMentat View Post
Its mean linking into forums some of us dont have access to.
(which is in itself mean considering I'm a PS2 vet w/o an invite but with 2 old accounts)
That's why I quoted the relevant information. So no one will miss out.

Also, have you thought about getting Alpha Squad? It's a good deal and you automatically get Beta Access.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-09-15, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
ParisTeta
Sergeant

I liked the offline Cert idea, to a degree (should not be unlimited) well then, maybe a rested bonus for XP will do. I hope this means with gameplay certs come faster, but 1000xp per cert right now is very very slow, and not everyone on every task get the same xp. I sense a small problem here.

More unlockable certs? Nice but....most certs aren`t really that tempting that im absolutly looking forward to it, it`s like the old WoW talent syste, many performance increase, you have to take, but rarley fun or change of gameplay. Active talents like smokescreen, emp blast etc. thats fun, spending 270 points for 10 kph more as an ESF? nahhh. It`s Beta, but that is the situation right now.
Old 2012-09-15, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rat
First Sergeant

wohoo...we have a reason for XP!!!
Old 2012-09-15, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Chowley
Corporal

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
Makes much more sense to actually have to play to earn the certification points imho.

I didn't get the whole "offline cert" thing, as it doesn't encourage you to play better or reward you for doing so - and not having certs doesn't stop you from squadding with friends who do, it just makes you slightly less powerful/versatile.
It was a really slow gain though. I rue the loss of offline cert gain. I can only play games 3 or 4 nights a week now these days. So it was a huge boon for me, even the small cert gain was nice. Now people with loads of time in their hands can cert themselves to fuck, and well those of us with less time on our hands meh. I hate progression systems in shooters. :P I can see merit in both systems , no doubt, but the small offline cert gain seemed harmless to me.
Old 2012-09-15, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Timealude
Captain

I like the fact they did this, but wouldnt it make sense to wipe the characters now that way everything is on an even playing field?
Old 2012-09-15, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
I like the fact they did this, but wouldnt it make sense to wipe the characters now that way everything is on an even playing field?
There should be a character wipe next patch:

Go to 1h 42m and he starts talking about the next character wipe.

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-09-15, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SFJake
Sergeant

The biggest sign yet that the game will turn to trash.

What the hell am I going to get by playing the way I do now? Nothing. Woohoo.

I should have known F2P games -and- MMO games always turn out to be a complete joke. You do realize this is a game killer, right? Completely destroys everything.

I was fighting for AURAXIUM offline and instead they REMOVE certs offline. Oh boy. This is so stupid. Guess this really is going to be a game for no life nerds and kids addicted to it like a drug. As sad as it can get, really.
Old 2012-09-15, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by SFJake View Post
I was fighting for AURAXIUM offline and instead they REMOVE certs offline. Oh boy. This is so stupid. Guess this really is going to be a game for no life nerds and kids addicted to it like a drug. As sad as it can get, really.
Auraxium is what buys new weapons, you'll either get that by playing or using station cash - its how PS2 is going to make money, so I don't see a problem with that. If you play a lot, you get stuff for free, if you want stuff quicker, you pay a little. Most people will probably do a little of both.

Certs are what tweak what you can do into slightly better or more versatile roles - explosives, or a scope on your gun etc. You can play for 5 years and still be killed by someone has created their account with no certs. Nothing wrong with that. Someone with more certs isn't immune to dying to people without.
Old 2012-09-15, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
bullet
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SFJake View Post
The biggest sign yet that the game will turn to trash.

What the hell am I going to get by playing the way I do now? Nothing. Woohoo.

I should have known F2P games -and- MMO games always turn out to be a complete joke. You do realize this is a game killer, right? Completely destroys everything.

You're a lot better than those no life nerds and kids by going off on a rant, right?

You said your play style will be affected. How are you playing the game right now? Can you provide some feedback that can help them design a system for your play style rather than crying about how the world is ending because of said changes?

I for one think the rate of cert gains solely through XP is going to be very slow. With the changes, I think support will get the short end of the stick if they don't fix the current values for certain support actions. We need some system of rested XP while logged off or a system where you can only gain X amount of certs while logged off which is then reset by you logging in for some amount of time or possibly after a week/month/etc. I don't know, but it definitely needs some discussion.
Old 2012-09-15, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
SFJake
Sergeant

Originally Posted by bullet View Post
You're a lot better than those no life nerds and kids by going off on a rant, right?
I -was- one of those no life nerd kids. I know how sad a state it is to be in and I pity kids that run into this kind of game model. Of course as a kid, you don't realize the sadness of it while its happening.

Originally Posted by bullet View Post
You said your play style will be affected. How are you playing the game right now? Can you provide some feedback that can help them design a system for your play style rather than crying about how the world is ending because of said changes?
By not going F2P, for starters.

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
Auraxium is what buys new weapons, you'll either get that by playing or using station cash - its how PS2 is going to make money, so I don't see a problem with that. If you play a lot, you get stuff for free, if you want stuff quicker, you pay a little. Most people will probably do a little of both.
Can't wait to see the prices on those, probably along the line of 5 bucks a weapon, which is the kind of ridiculous price all F2P games give you.

You end up either wasting your life or spending a big amount of money. Thats F2P for you.

I'd pay 60$ if I could get a game I wouldn't have to grind, I'd have access to all the stuff at release, and could just play.

I've told them of fair payment option more than once on the Beta forums. Proper F2P is an option to spend time instead of money, -not- no option to pay a fair amount. But this isn't looking any different.

Like all F2P games I'll have to waste my time, or hundreds of dollars.

At the very least, a one-time payment (say 60$) to get both Auraxium and Cert gain offline would actually be a good deal that I'd do. I assume the rates would be decent (the previous cert gain was pretty spot on, I'd understand a slight reduction, but I'd expect to get something like flares in a day, 2 at best not a month).

That would be a fair option, for starters. That, and boosters that work with in-game time, not real time. Things like that, that shows they care about their costumers. But I don't expect those things to happen, because they are fair options. F2P is never fair.

Last edited by SFJake; 2012-09-15 at 05:19 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion