Bio Lab flow - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Is Hamma drunk?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-22, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Bio Lab flow

Arclegger just responded on the PS2 forums he'll look into trying to implement some of it at a new Bio Lab for Hossin / Searhus.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i.../#post-1070355

Originally Posted by Arclegger
Saurva is the closest base to what you guys are asking for. Unfortunately not a lot of fighting takes place at Saurva (it is my favorite base btw).

A lot of really good ideas here, the stairways up to the catwalks seems a little tedious but it looks nice. I'm now sure how fun fighting up a stairwell is, the people at the top of the stairwell would just get easy cert farmage. We have the anti gravity lifts up to the wings to avoid having to make a stairwell up there.

When I'm working on Hossin or Searhus I'll try to look into making a larger footprint courtyard below the lab with the teleport rooms in the courtyard.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 2013-01-22, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Utne
Private

Not bad! Your designs are top notch Figment, keep it up.
Old 2013-01-22, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant

I like those stairs

and catwalks

AND EVERYTHING

CLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGG!

()
All facilities seem to have a problem with flow though.

Remember the GDC footage, where they showed off Zurvan combat? Buildings were all over the place, and they helped create pathways and chokepoints for infantry
Can we try this facility design for at least ONE amp station?

Last edited by SturmovikDrakon; 2013-01-22 at 01:27 PM.
Old 2013-01-22, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Looks nice but like he said he we won't know how fun or not it will be for the attackers of a bio lab going up flights of stairs and having everything rain down on them.
That's why i would like to see a test server so that players can tryout game changes and new items before Soe makes them live. Especially for a game like Planetside2 that will have many changes and additions for many years to come.

Old 2013-01-22, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
Looks nice but like he said he we won't know how fun or not it will be for the attackers of a bio lab going up flights of stairs and having everything rain down on them.
That's why one makes resting points along the way, creates roofing over areas and brings medics and cover fire, not? >.>

That's why i would like to see a test server so that players can tryout game changes and new items before Soe makes them live. Especially for a game like Planetside2 that will have many changes and additions for many years to come.
Test server should have been life at beta launch... >_>
Old 2013-01-22, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Arclegger just responded on the PS2 forums he'll look into trying to implement some of it at a new Bio Lab for Hossin / Searhus.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i.../#post-1070355
Nice!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-23, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Stanis
Master Sergeant

I see what you're trying to do.
One thing that concerns me with any idea is that we are still trying to defend multiple insecure points simultaneously.

For the defenders there is definitely a priority in the shield generator and spawn generators.

However it is a game of pillar to post covering
Spawn Gen.
Shield Gen.
Capture points A through C - possibly D.
CY
Walls
Air Approach.
Vehicle approach.
1 to 4 satellite bases or towers
Spawn Beacons/Spawn on Squad Leader/Deploy Now button

Which are spread out over a vast area. Any movement bonuses can also be used by the enemy (jump pads) or subverted by them (telepads)

If we have layers - then we need to peel a layer before the next is genuinely vulnerable. Most targets require a single attacker to effect their destruction.
For an even sized force that means flitting between all of the above stamping out fires.

It is dynamic in the sense forces are always in motion.
It's fairly ludicrous in the sense of defence advantage or force multipliers.

There is very little chance of covering so many objectives in such a large area. There is no grand tactic or clever strategy that works.
Organisation helps.

It is just numbers.
Old 2013-01-23, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Figment
Lieutenant General

Pretty much Stanis. Layering defenses provides recuperation options. On one hand having three shield generators for a CY defense for instance means you can hold particular sides at a time, on the other hand, it spreads your forces over a larger area, covering more vulnerable points to keep the other sides secure.

Everything relates to distance (distance w.r.t. spawns and distance w.r.t. end positions and distance to any natural route in between) and the amount of effort required to get behind a line defending that area. With Light Assaults and Spawn Beacons, that amount of effort is ludicrously low to the point infiltrators have no reason to exist as saboteurs because they're actually worse at sabotage than run-jump-at-random troops.
Old 2013-01-23, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Figment
Lieutenant General

Updated original post with: Sinking the Bio Lab a bit may help and may provide new options!

Last edited by Figment; 2013-01-23 at 08:52 AM.
Old 2013-01-23, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Boomzor
Staff Sergeant

If the top of the stairs is hard to break through because it is defended, maby it would be one way of making galaxy drops appreciated again. Deploy a squad and flush out defenders from the top down?

Small outfit / squad mission right there.

Now, if only half the droppers didn't randomly die on impact...
Old 2013-01-23, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Figment
Lieutenant General

Exactly Boomzor.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion