News: SOE Announces Partnership with MLG - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do not make love to your PS CD.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-25, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

SOE Announces Partnership with MLG

http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...h-mlg-2939.htm

Sony Online Entertainment and Major League Gaming Partner to Bring
PlanetSide®2 to Competitive Gaming

SAN DIEGO and NEW YORK - Jan. 25, 2013 - Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE), and Major League Gaming (MLG), the world's largest eSports league, today announced a robust partnership to introduce PlanetSide®2 to MLG's burgeoning competitive gaming audience. The year-long collaboration will span all of MLG's properties including original broadcast programming, online competition and presence at MLG events.

Over the next few months, the PlanetSide 2 and MLG teams will work closely to develop ideal competitive gameplay features and settings to showcase the massively multiplayer online first-person shooter (MMOFPS). With MLG's consult and significant community involvement, SOE has committed to creating a long-term eSports initiative within PlanetSide 2 that will highlight an exceptional massively multiplayer competitive gaming experience.

Additionally, SOE and MLG will collaborate to create original programming to air on the MLG network at www.majorleaguegaming.com and www.Twitch.tv/Team/MLG. Details and a complete broadcast schedule will be released in the coming weeks. PlanetSide 2 players around the globe will soon after be able to compete via MLG's GameBattles online competition site. Additionally, PlanetSide 2 gaming stations will be featured at MLG's first Pro Circuit event of 2013 -- the Winter Championship in Dallas, Texas, from March 15-17.

"PlanetSide 2 players are extremely loyal to their chosen Empires and when it comes to battling, they are beyond competitive and truly enjoy the in-game rivalries, so it was the natural next step for us to bring PlanetSide 2 to the most competitive eSports organization," said John Smedley, President, Sony Online Entertainment. "We're excited for this opportunity to work with MLG and are confident that their competitive gaming expertise can turn PlanetSide 2 into a premiere eSports platform, allowing us to extend the game experience and deliver new ways for players to interact with other players and the broader community, while helping to further diversify and grow our audience."

"From the first time I played PlanetSide 2, I knew that it made sense for the MLG community," said Sundance DiGiovanni, CEO and co-founder of Major League Gaming. "I am excited to introduce the game to our audience and to see how it evolves along with the growing and evolving eSports landscape."

Through the partnership, MLG and PlanetSide 2 fans will have greater access to the game through the community-driven programming, GameBattles and Pro Circuit event presence. Launched in November 2012, PlanetSide 2 is a free-to-play title that has set the new standard for first-person shooters. PlanetSide 2 offers an unparalleled gaming experience where players battle in massive environments alongside and against thousands of others engaging in intense air and ground combat that spans the alien planet of Auraxis. Check Cheap as chips Catalogue and Early Settler Catalogue. Players join one of three Empires -- Terran Republic, New Conglomerate or Vanu Sovereignty -- to fight in an epic war for ultimate control and territory domination. To play PlanetSide 2 now, visit: http://www.PlanetSide2.com.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: SOE Announces Partnership with MLG

They are out of their minds.

This push for E-sports is retarded.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Brutal Magikarp
Private

How can they keep track of a 200-600 person team?
Old 2013-01-25, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Well, Empire Showdown does seem to be going well, so why not?

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Not unexpected at all. Hibgy has been talking about eSports for a good year now.

ESports are quite popular and it's hard to not talk about gaming without them anymore.

This isn't doom and gloom and they've already said several times they would be doing something specific for eSports in Planetside 2.

If anything, this is a good way to get Planetside 2 a lot of exposure.

Last edited by wasdie; 2013-01-25 at 10:22 AM.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

As a fairly competitive player (back in the "days" that is), I am excited - if they can pull it off that is. Maybe even get me to play more.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Valcron
Master Sergeant

More daggers in the back of this game. How does smedley continue to let higby run this game? it boggles my mind...
Old 2013-01-25, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

this will not change anything about the game . if it brings more attention to the game and brings more people in then i'm all for it . maybe it's gone push for making ps2 the FPS of the decade
Old 2013-01-25, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I Have never known a sports match to not have an end.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Pella
Captain

Everyone watching BF3 Esports these days? No because its boring as fuck to watch and no one cares.

Same rules apply to PS2. Big fights no one is going to sustain interest in that. FNO they get about 10 viewers on twitch :P

Esports are competitive, and require Balance on all levels.

What a joke. Unless they add 6v6 on a small scale no one will care. But then again COD fills that gap.

Last edited by Pella; 2013-01-25 at 10:38 AM.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

You can't make a full on war game then scale it down to small skirmishes for tournaments.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Seafort
Private

Don't you need fairly balanced sides for Esports?? PS2 is not what I would call balanced at all or a finished product. SOE must be mad or wanting to milk the game for everything its worth before it dies off.

This esports thing will take over the main game and make the casuals and people who just want to play planetside 2nd class citizens.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Seafort View Post
Don't you need fairly balanced sides for Esports?? PS2 is not what I would call balanced at all or a finished product. SOE must be mad or wanting to milk the game for everything its worth before it dies off.

This esports thing will take over the main game and make the casuals and people who just want to play planetside 2nd class citizens.
FPSs don't do well in eSports. It's all about MOBA (LoL, DotA) and Starcraft.

They aren't going to compromise their game to fit in eSports stuff. Look at the roadmap. They are sticking to making this game better at what it's designed for.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Seafort
Private

I would look at the roadmap if I could

SOE have always been money orientated so whatever brings in more money will get their attention.
Old 2013-01-25, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Frotang
Staff Sergeant

Might this become some reincarnation of Outfit Wars?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion