News: Higby Ama on reddit - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Addicting gamers since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-22, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Higby Ama on reddit

This thread serves to collect the new informaiton from here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...ames_industry/

The plan is to have every higby quote in this post, and those important ones marked, like this:

Right now MAXes use armor, they're the only infantry class without a shield and do require engineers to support them.

Discuss! I put more stuff down later!

PSU Article:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/p...dit-qa-107.htm

Last edited by Hamma; 2012-03-22 at 08:14 PM.
Old 2012-03-22, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Higby Ama on reddit

Punkbuster is going to be one facet of our anti-cheating strategy, not the only thing. I don't want to go too deep into this except to say that we hate hackers as much as you guys do, and we'll be doing everything we can to make sure that Planetside 2 is as hacker-free as possible.

Right now we don't have a concept of ANTs, but we still have logistical elements for sure, mobile respawn and resupply and the sort. Our facility capture gameplay is quite a bit different than the first game, though.

The marketplace offerings we showed at GDC aren't representative of the final offerings, you won't be able to acquire cross-factional weapons. We also don't have looting in the game right now, although that's an ongoing debate.

Air vehicles will absolutely be able to equip countermeasures, although they'll be trading other functionality to do so.

We may have to institute a cool down on MAXes although we don't have one at the moment.

Direct rocket hits will probably kill light infantry classes in PS2, but the splash damage is tuned to not be as devastating to infantry as in BF3.

The hit detection is a mix, there are clientside and serverside checks.

Currently no classes are "locked" from day one you can play any of the classes or drive any of the vehicles in the game. You can also freely switch between classes at equipment terminals or when respawning so you're never locked into a class. Each vehicle and class will have tons of customization and multiple roles to specialize in based on certification, so there will be role based things to unlock (i.e. being a surveillance focused infiltrator rather than a sniping focused infiltrator, etc)

Yes, absolutely. We have 6 right now:
Light Assault - quick strike commando type unit
Heavy Assault - strong anti-vehicle or anti-infantry troop
Engineer - combat deployables and vehicle support
Medic - keeps you from being a blood smear on the ground
Infiltrator - sneaky sniper / gadgeteer with cloaking suit
M.A.X - large mechanized battle suit suitable for anti-air, anti-vehicle and anti-infantry depending on loadout

Right now we don't have the concept of continent locking. Each empire has a small foothold on each continent and can fight on them at any time. We're doing this because we want more areas of the world to be under contention at any given time than PlanetSide 1 tended to have. As with most things, this is something we'll adjust in beta if the need arises.

There will be geometry changes possible with the cosmetic customization... we're trying to be careful to not go too overboard here though so that we maintain recognizable class silhouettes.

There are a lot of VS screenshots out there! Tramell is a VS die hard (and die often) so he sneaks in VS screenshots as much as possible.

We do fully incorporate Vivox VOIP in the game client, and we're trying to find ways to make our in-game VOIP solution something that everyone will want to use.

Engineers will have other tricks up their sleeves besides just the turret, being able to place dynamic cover, mines, and the like. Although vehicles will be able to have mine guards, they'll be giving up something to do that, so the assumption that everything will be safe from mines isn't totally accurate. Right now turrets can be placed virtually anywhere, but some restrictions may be added if we find it being heavily exploited in beta.

We will support both SLI and Crossfire.

You select an empire when you create your character and from then on you're locked into that empire. Since Planetside 2 is a free-to-play game there is no limit on the number of characters you could create to try out the other empires, though!

Last edited by Bags; 2012-03-22 at 02:17 PM.
Old 2012-03-22, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Nothing to dicuss on that. I mean they did it right and I doubt there will be people to contend with that.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-03-22, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

if we find it being heavily exploited in beta.
He said "IF" ha ha. IF.
Old 2012-03-22, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Valcron
Master Sergeant

I find most of these answers stuff we know already, I will tell you the idea that every empire has a foothold on continents is absolutely stupid. It will just be sanctuaries for dudes that will come in a rape bases randomly. That's the thing that bothered me in PS1, randomly just go into a continent and rape a base randomly. Total bullshit..
Old 2012-03-22, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

The /r/gaming submission could use upvoting too... Not that I promote that kind of thing or anything... Ahem

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...submitted=true

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-22, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by Valcron View Post
I find most of these answers stuff we know already, I will tell you the idea that every empire has a foothold on continents is absolutely stupid. It will just be sanctuaries for dudes that will come in a rape bases randomly. That's the thing that bothered me in PS1, randomly just go into a continent and rape a base randomly. Total bullshit..
What are you trying to say?
Old 2012-03-22, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Coreldan
Colonel

There's plenty of stuff we didnt know there. So far the most interesting part for me was that you can use all classes and vehicles from day one, so everything can be used, just that you wont have anything unlocked for them.

As someone planning to run a big'ish outfit, that's good news cos theres no need to fiddle around with "ok who CAN pull a Liberator?",

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-22, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
What are you trying to say?
I don't think he realizes they are uncapturable.

I asked my question. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 2012-03-22, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by Valcron View Post
I find most of these answers stuff we know already...
The good news is that he cleared up that whole who gets into beta first.

Not totally sure how large the initial beta wave will be. Probably in the hundreds - thousand range.

That prioritized queue is a pool, so we'll pull from that pool until it's empty. This will all be based on our project needs. Beta is a really important tool for us on the game dev side and we need to be sure that we're getting our needs met so that we can make the best game possible.

Opt-in signups will be invited later, again, as needed.
Old 2012-03-22, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
The good news is that he cleared up that whole who gets into beta first.

Not totally sure how large the initial beta wave will be. Probably in the hundreds - thousand range.

That prioritized queue is a pool, so we'll pull from that pool until it's empty. This will all be based on our project needs. Beta is a really important tool for us on the game dev side and we need to be sure that we're getting our needs met so that we can make the best game possible.

Opt-in signups will be invited later, again, as needed.
We actually knew that already! But yes, clarification/confirmation is good.

Old 2012-03-22, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sirisian
Colonel

, look at malorn's questions. I hope Higby has a lot of free time today. So many questions.
Old 2012-03-22, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

Engineers will have other tricks up their sleeves besides just the turret, being able to place dynamic cover, mines, and the like.
Like bunkers or walls?but no matter what thats pretty epic

(maybe why they didnt have walls in gdc video cause them lazy engy didnt build any)

Last edited by bigcracker; 2012-03-22 at 02:54 PM.
Old 2012-03-22, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by bigcracker View Post
Like bunkers or walls?but no matter what thats pretty epic
At least these some kind of "static shields" were mentioned. I sorta imagine a big blue transparent'ish screen that blocks projectiles and stuff.

Not so much a physical wall, but we might get those too, who knows

Old 2012-03-22, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
, look at malorn's questions. I hope Higby has a lot of free time today. So many questions.
Just saw that. Damn, he rocked it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion