Vehicle stealing - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter Google+ YouTube Steam Xfire TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The meaning of life.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Facebook Connect
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-07-24, 07:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rednas
Private
 
Vehicle stealing


Couldn't find a thread on this so I thought I'd make one.

From what I've seen in the current footage, everyone has access to all the vehicles from the start. Certs only help to specialise and unlock mods.

Now what if I pull out, lets say, a super upgraded/pimped tank. After some combat, I decide to get out and repair it on the field myself. Can some random player just walk up and steal my tank while I'm out, repairing it, effectively stealing my resources and cooldown time? (This happens a lot in games like BF3) Or will there be some locking system on it, like only squad/outfit members are allowed to enter?
Rednas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 07:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Hmr85's Avatar
 
Re: Vehicle stealing


I am assuming it will be the same as PS1 where you can lock the drivers seat to prevent that happening.
__________________


Hmr85 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 07:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rednas
Private
 
Re: Vehicle stealing


Well, the footage in this thread suggests otherwise. Unless it is something you have to select on spawning?

And what happens when you die, but your vehicle does not?
Rednas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
DrShadowSML
Private
 
Re: Vehicle stealing


I'm 99% sure that in the E3 footage, other people, even within your empire, cannot drive your vehicle.
DrShadowSML is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Hmr85's Avatar
 
Re: Vehicle stealing


Originally Posted by Rednas View Post
Well, the footage in this thread suggests otherwise. Unless it is something you have to select on spawning?

And what happens when you die, but your vehicle does not?
There is 3 setting in PS1 you could set your vehicle as.

Driver only - Meaning only you
Group - Only people in your squad could drive it
Empire - Anybody could drive it.

What you saw in the video was probably somebody who didn't set their vehicle to lock. I am sure the devs have copied that model for PS2.
__________________


Hmr85 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Dart
Second Lieutenant
 
Dart's Avatar
 
Re: Vehicle stealing


Originally Posted by Rednas View Post
Couldn't find a thread on this so I thought I'd make one.

From what I've seen in the current footage, everyone has access to all the vehicles from the start. Certs only help to specialise and unlock mods.

Now what if I pull out, lets say, a super upgraded/pimped tank. After some combat, I decide to get out and repair it on the field myself. Can some random player just walk up and steal my tank while I'm out, repairing it, effectively stealing my resources and cooldown time? (This happens a lot in games like BF3) Or will there be some locking system on it, like only squad/outfit members are allowed to enter?
Currently I believe anyone can jump in any empty vehicle. It will likely be changed during beta however.
Dart is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
ringring
Contributor
Colonel
 
Re: Vehicle stealing


I think this and looting should be in, however I think the devs have a problem because of certs and sidegrades etc.
But I also believe they're thinking about adding it and if they do +1
__________________


[url=http://planetside-intel.com/character/name/Crashsplash/view/summary][img]http://planetside-intel.com/sigs/signature/name/
ringring is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Dart
Second Lieutenant
 
Dart's Avatar
 
Re: Vehicle stealing


Originally Posted by ringring View Post
I think this and looting should be in, however I think the devs have a problem because of certs and sidegrades etc.
But I also believe they're thinking about adding it and if they do +1
I really doubt we see it. The issue all along has been with making 3 versions of everything - one for each Empire - and the amount of time that would take AWAY from other projects. If we do see it, it almost certainly won't be until a long while after release!
Dart is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
MCYRook
Staff Sergeant
 
MCYRook's Avatar
 
Re: Vehicle stealing


In PS2, this raises an issue because vehicles cost (personal) resources. Higby has explicitly stated (ofc I forget when and where ) that they don't want the "rich guy" to spawn 10 tanks for his outfitmates to drive. In part, this kind of spamming is prevented by having timers on vehicle acquisition. But it's still doable ("Here, you drive my tank, and you drive my Lightning, and I'll be in an aircraft") if you can let someone else drive your stuff.
__________________

The Mercs. That's right.
MCYRook is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
VaderShake
First Lieutenant
 
VaderShake's Avatar
 
Re: Vehicle stealing


Originally Posted by MCYRook View Post
In PS2, this raises an issue because vehicles cost (personal) resources. Higby has explicitly stated (ofc I forget when and where ) that they don't want the "rich guy" to spawn 10 tanks for his outfitmates to drive. In part, this kind of spamming is prevented by having timers on vehicle acquisition. But it's still doable ("Here, you drive my tank, and you drive my Lightning, and I'll be in an aircraft") if you can let someone else drive your stuff.
I don't really agree with not letting a "rich guy" spend his resources on helping his team. Timers are fine though. I think you should be able to "lock the seat" or it's fair game for your squad and or faction.

If anyone can grab your tank it opens up a deeper expirience because you have to really think about getting out of your tank or not, if you have a choice to lock it or not that is fine as well, more choices the better. Also it brings into play more thinking if you get out and abandon the tank asset why not let someone else take advantage of it or bring it into the fight?
__________________
VaderShake is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Flaropri
Sergeant Major
 
Re: Vehicle stealing


Originally Posted by DrShadowSML View Post
I'm 99% sure that in the E3 footage, other people, even within your empire, cannot drive your vehicle.
People within your Empire can drive your vehicle. Not fitting your army with a bunch of well-certed vehicles is one of the reasons claimed behind having spawn timers.

Ideally there would be a mechanism, such as locking the vehicle or limiting it to squad/platoon or something similar to prevent people greedily taking another person's vehicle without permission. Failing that, there are other alternatives such as considering it griefing but I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Ultimately, I think it'll be a fairly rare occurrence even with the inevitable trolls that would do it on purpose. I mean, from what we've seen so far you spawn inside the vehicle, so they'd have to do it on the field, and they likely came up in their own vehicle or are otherwise not in a near enough position to pull it off.

EDIT: Locks should be disabled upon character death (but not death by suicide or friendly fire) if that system is used.

Last edited by Flaropri; 2012-07-24 at 08:21 AM.
Flaropri is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Synapses
Sergeant Major
 
Synapses's Avatar
 
Re: Vehicle stealing


Originally Posted by DrShadowSML View Post
I'm 99% sure that in the E3 footage, other people, even within your empire, cannot drive your vehicle.
You are wrong. Trust me.
__________________
For those with a sick sense of humor, you will dig this
Fast Food Mascots Party Hard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ6qE...has_verified=1

Synapses is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hamma
PSU Admin
 
Hamma's Avatar
 
Re: Vehicle stealing


Yea this will almost surely change I just don't think the system is in place yet.
__________________

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Hamma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Re: Vehicle stealing


But it worked fine in Battlefield, why take out that "feature" ? I loved getting my vehicle at any time I wanted if no one was using it.
sylphaen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Boomhowser
Corporal
 
Boomhowser's Avatar
 
Re: Vehicle stealing


I read the title and found that I jumped to the wrong conclusion... Yup I thought it would be about Jacking the enemy vehicles something I hope will be brought into the game sometime in the future.

As for your own faction nabbing your vehicles.. I have no probs with that since if im not in the vehicle im running a different function at that point in time, I fully expect that i'll have enough resources to have a vehicle any time I like once ive been playing for a few weeks
Boomhowser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.